Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Dentist - Taking the Michael now :(

Search this Thread

Old 03 September 2002, 10:02 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

What sort of country do we live in - what a feckin nightmare. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

My better half had an Apisectamy on her tooth about a year ago, and it has started playing up a bit. She has just phoned me from the hospital after her appointment, and the guy has told her she needs an IMPLANT!!!!

This time it costs £1500-2000!!! [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

How can it be so expensive for something which is obviously a common operation/requirement?

So we potentially have to gather together £6000 for 3 bloody teeth. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] And we are getting married next July, for which we need about £6k also. Looks like the Scoob is a long time off now.

Really pissed off now!!

DW

PS They are not contagious, so it must be pure coincidence - mare!!
Old 03 September 2002, 10:04 AM
ChrisB

Can you not get a 2nd opinion? That's astronomical mate!
Old 03 September 2002, 10:05 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

To be honest, I am just going to leave the ******* now to fall out - cant be arsed with it. At least til after we get wed next year anyway.

Bloody Britain - whata place [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 03 September 2002, 11:30 AM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

Dont be mad after your country, it's the same in France and other places. Teeth are extremely expensive and not covered by the social security, or at least nowhere near their actual price. A good idea woyuld have been to buy insurance for that, but it will only cover you for teeth in a limited way and after a rather long period of time...
In conclusion, you're trapped. You'll have to shell out. You cant just leave your mouth rot away, look at other people in your country, would you want to look like that?? You could always get married a little later ...
Old 03 September 2002, 11:40 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Unhappy

DW

Sounds as though your dentist wants a new Porsche. Give DJ a mail or ask for a second opinion. Did'nt the same dentist recommend implants for you too? Sounds like he has a load spare and needs to get rid of them. How about buy one get one free?
Old 03 September 2002, 11:46 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
I'd agree with Claudius on this one. Met a Dutch guy on holiday, 3 teenage daughters (!!!), and no sooner had he finished paying for one to have her teeth straightened, the next one needed it: £3000 per go !!! Fek!
And they weren't ugly bucktoothed girls, just a bit uneven like most folk!
Old 03 September 2002, 11:54 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

I like your dentist DW

Whatever you go in with ("Just a checkup, doc", or "I think a filling's fallen out") the solution is a titanium implant

Trending Topics

Old 03 September 2002, 03:02 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

This is now the third opinion on my teeth, and they have all said the same so I guess I am stuck now. My other half went to a different 4th dentist, so I guess they all charge for this.

I have had this problem for 4 years now, so I dont think my mouth will rot away - it just tends to hurt from time to time.

Claudius - another problem is there is a shortage of dentists in my area. Nearest one is 20 miles away, and may be crap. That is what annoys me. When the tories were in power I never had problems like this, or had to pay £5 for ****, or pay so much on fuel, or see schools closed til Xmas due to the CRB thing

Old 03 September 2002, 06:10 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

Would you guys like to do a group buy on Marlboros for EUR 31 EUROS a carton from Italy (just 10 miles from my place)?

[connecting to www.xe.com]

that's £19.75 + shipping

[disconnecting from www.xe.com]

[using keybord shortcut to bring up calculator]

If you smoke a pack a day at £5 and quit today, you will have saved £5000 by May 2005.
Old 03 September 2002, 07:03 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Hear Hear
I spent nearly a grand on root canal and a crown last year, oh sorry we cant do that on the NHS,ever since the govt gave dentists the chance to go private they all did £ signs!!!

Fecking disgraceful
Old 03 September 2002, 07:17 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Matey, I have some pliers, I can be with you in half an hour... lets see, removal fee, £20, call out fee, £40, out of hours £40... £100 all in, how's that sound?

I've done all my own teeth, look...

Seriously though, can't you just have it ripped out, one of mine kept breaking and gettin filled etc, I got fed up with it so just told him how it was gonna be...... tooth has be gone for ages, no problemo
Old 03 September 2002, 08:51 PM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

Hear Hear
I spent nearly a grand on root canal and a crown last year, oh sorry we cant do that on the NHS,ever since the govt gave dentists the chance to go private they all did £ signs!!!

Fecking disgraceful
Sorry mate, your talking bollox.
All practitioners have ALWAYS had the option of working privately, nowt to do with the Government.
If they (Tories and Labour) didn't **** up our time with utterly ridiculous red tape and expect RollsRoyce treatment for Daewoo money not so many would say stuff the NHS

DW if you want a chat and an unbiased opinion I'm in Southampton mate....Scoobynet discount applicable

DJ (NHS and stubborn)
Old 04 September 2002, 09:14 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Ouch

Not looking forward to them then

Old 04 September 2002, 09:15 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Doc

Appologies for talking bollox

Are you a dentist or have connections??? if so you could answer my curiosity

I based my point on the fact that until about 8 - 9 years ago almost every dentist did NHS work and I remember reading how they could now charge private fees rather than carrying the work out as NHS work, my then dentist (miserable bugger)quickly changed to a private practice and had a shinny new 911 within 6 months, it is almost impossible to find an NHS dentist in London nowadays especially NW London.
Its obviously beneficial to said dentists to carry all work out privately as the financial rewards are far greater, or am i still talking bollox please explain how they get money from NHS, £30 for a filling on the NHS (my guess is the NHS cover all costs + a fee for the dentists?? or £80-100 private and the insistance it must be white, why, that really pi55es me off, im not vain give me a nice amalgam one everyone can see, how does it work with NHS work, can a dentist refuse to carry out work as NHS??? or can I challenge him?? the emphasis now is to sell the patient private toothcare like PPP, everytime I go they try to sell it to me and my girlfriend, do they get a cut as only they can submit your application?? obviously being your dentists and having your records they have to fill out your tooth history, but mine still said if you sign up I wont tell them about the possible crown you need or three possible fillings but I will have to do some work outside of PPP, did he think he was doing me a favour??, no it was a bribe and another chance to make some fast money.

For the record I may be talking bollox about the Govt giving the dentists the option to start charging privately, but some legislation did change way back when. Or is there another reason why dentistry has changed beyond all recognition in the last ten years, my current dentist works out of a three bed semi each room is decked out with the latest furniture, concealed lighting, hardwood floors, Pioneer stereo system and looks more like a modern show house and not forgetting the latest S class Merc in the drive, now if all work had been NHS would we be talking hardwood floor and S Class Mercs!! I think not.

My Doctor works harder and longer than my dentist and doesnt rip me off, he is more interested in my welfare something the majority of dentists arent IMO, money talks and Bull5hit walks.

Plenty more bollox for correction

Dave

Old 04 September 2002, 10:41 PM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

Dave

I already answered your question

Until the NHS came about all dentistry was private.
NHS did not supercede this, just ran alongside it.
Therefore the Government couldn't *allow* private dentistry, it was there all the time.

As for the other stuff about your dentist......if you don't like it, find another dentist, don't give him your money.
Old 06 September 2002, 04:46 PM
bros2
Scooby Regular

DJ,

Do you know/can you recommend a dentist in the Hertfordshire area, preferably Watford?

I hate dentists (well, not them personally, just the whole experience) and have not been near one for 10 years.

I recognise that I need to remedy this, but haven't got a clue on who is good/bad/indifferent.

Bros
Old 06 September 2002, 11:16 PM
midlife-crisis-scooby
Scooby Regular

DocJock

Another dentist..forget teeth!!!! what have you on the drive. I have a MY02 in WR Blue mica with morettes etc. Only had it a few months and new to the game..great fun !!

What's you toy!!

MLCS

BDS london hospital 1982 but been around a lot !
Old 07 September 2002, 10:04 AM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

Hi MLCS

BDS Edinburgh 1981
Ex-Army now GDP

My slightly modified shed....