Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Calling speed camera experts

Search this Thread

Old 28 August 2002, 08:45 PM
scottdg
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving along the M45 re-routed after a big accident closed the M1. Trying to sort my SAT NAV out when out of nowhere I see a front facing true velo combi. (Blue GATSO sized box with two holes in the front and lines across the road). The speed limit was 50 and I was doing 55-58mph on the speedo and going with the traffic flow.
Does anyone have experience of these b@stard things, know what threshold over the posted limit they are set at, know what my true MPH would have been if the speedo showed the above. There was no flash, but I gather it's an infra-red one and so remains invisible to the naked eye. Are they always running or do they spend time inactive like the GATSO.

Thanks in advance,

Scottdg

PS. I've already been to the speedtrap bible site!
Old 28 August 2002, 08:47 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

There aer no Cameras on the M45, are you sure you do not mean the A45 towards brum?
Old 28 August 2002, 08:54 PM
scottdg
Scooby Regular

That sounds more likely but heading away from Brum. I don't know the area hence why I was looking at the NAV and didn't see the camera!!!
Old 28 August 2002, 11:42 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
No specific help, but a few hopefully useful comments.

I believe all Truvelos are digital and therefore working 100% of the time (not 100% cert though).

I have a Road Angel and it's brilliant. Can be swapped from car to car v easily, too (because of integral aerial). Better than big lump of Origin Blue-i. Not tried Geodisy.

Road Angel also has dead accurate actual speed readout. I have 215/40x17in tyres which are over 1% smaller than standard so speedo says I'm going faster than I am. But when my speedo say 30 I'm doing 27mph. When it says 70 I'm doing 66mph. When I'm showing 130 it's a true 122mph.

Cheers,

Richard.
Old 29 August 2002, 01:55 PM
scottdg
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

fingers crossed it was set at 55 & 58mph on my speedo equates to just that!!!!!!
Old 29 August 2002, 02:11 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

I was told that the police in my area allow 10% + 2 mph. This was for a 30 mph zone, so whether it works in 50 zones, for cameras or in your area is an open question.

Good luck.
Old 29 August 2002, 03:33 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Talking

Round my way all the Gatsos are being replaced with Truvelos. Just wondering though if they use an IR flash - does that mean a heat source behind your numberplate would stop it being read??

Could I file a patent for a numberplate working like a heated windscreen with electric filaments running through it??

Trending Topics

Old 29 August 2002, 05:30 PM
bob gray
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

got a letter in the post today..3 points and £60 doing 46 in a 40.front facing blue thing a43 near silverstone..over a week ago thought i got away with it.
Old 29 August 2002, 05:50 PM
scottdg
Scooby Regular

Angry

It'll take my points to 10 if I get this one. So I won't be going down without a fight . Certificates of calibration and maintenance, plus all sites should be mounted at accident black spots bla, bla, bla which this was not. Straight road dual carriage way etc,etc.

Words cannot express the anger I feel towards this government, Ken Livingstone and the Police. W@nkers the lot of them.

The UK is quickly becoming a big brother state with inflated and hidden taxes ripping the general public off every step of the way.

I'm that close to leaving for good!!

Rant over.
Old 29 August 2002, 07:32 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Scottdg,

if you were on the A45, then there are two forward facing Truvelos in a 50mph limit just past Coventry (in an easterly direction) - but these are both covered in reflective yellow stickers. The first is on a sweeping s-bend, and the second is just before a junction (which i believe is an accident blackspot - however these are defined ).

Assuming that your speedo reads a bit over, and the ACPO guidelines are applied, you should be ok at 58mph.

However, take it as a lesson not to concentrate too much on your SatNav - the Truvelo could have been a child in the road

As for the A45 - what a ridiculous example of speed enforcement [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

I drove from Brum to Northampton today, and the speed limit was up and down more than a thing that goes up and down a lot! 50mph limits on clear, open, dual-carriagesways with no houses or junctions as far as the eye can see. Conveniently coupled with this were gatsos - lots of them (hopefully you weren't caught by one of these instead!).

It is very tiring trying to concentrate on the road, other drivers, the limit _and_ speed cameras - when for much of the time there is no safety reason in the first place. Oh, and there are some of the most complex and confusing roundabouts to navigate - these must cause an awful lot of minor incidents themselves.

Only 13 more days to be sure

mb
Old 30 August 2002, 12:41 PM
scottdg
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Cheers mb.