Does Council house = mess?

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2002, 01:35 AM
Mufasa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Floyd wrote:
But why are they like it? Agreed that some treat the gift of a council property with gratitude that society has paid them and they now treat it with pride. So why do them majority treat it so badly and make the place a tip?
I do reckon it's an "easy come, easy go thing" if you have had to work hard for ages for something the chances are you are going to treat it with respect.

If they are given it, and then think it's sh!te anyway, then the chances are it is not going to be treated with the same respect...

Dunno what the answer is!

While it does p!ss me off given the amount of tax I pay to see the stereotypical ******* free loading, somewhere among them there are genuine cases of people that have found themselves down on their luck and need help. In the civilised society (well relatively ) we live in, we should have the means in place to support the genuinely needy.

Anyone could end up there one day, it's how long you stay there that you have more control of.

It's weeding out the p!ss takers that should be concentrated on, but that takes more time and costs more money...

It's not just a UK estate thing either, just been chatting to an Aussie mate who's dad works for the government over there servicing the $80K Landcruisers that they give the "Spear chuckers" (her words not mine!). After 6 months they have to practically write them off, there isn't a straight panel on them and they've ripped out all but one of the seats to burn!

[Edited because of poor spelling and worse grammar ]

Muf

[Edited by Mufasa - 9/1/2002 2:25:30 AM]
Old 28 August 2002, 07:41 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Question

I took my lad around to one of his friends houses for a birthday party. It was on a new-ish estate where on the outskirts were large private houses with manicured lawns and BMWs on the drives, moving to smaller private semi's (still tidy)and then onto first time buyer cluster houses and terraced abodes. Finally I arrived at the party address, where there were wrecks everywhere, broken fences, dilapidated windows and generally overgrown gardens.

I later found out that these were council houses. The people were nice enough but I didn't fancy leaving my car there for very long.

Is this just a different personal value thing to me, because I started off in a cheap flat, but I didn't let it look like a tip either?

Do council tenants tend to leave all the upkeep to the councils?

Not trying to be snobby or judging but looking for insight.
F
Old 28 August 2002, 07:49 PM
Luke
BANNED

Lets be snobby.... Most council estates have a lot of scum for tenants. Chip eating,beer drinking,sign on monkeys. Kids that carry a health warning and as for the women............They have no pride and drag the whole place down to their level.
Old 28 August 2002, 08:17 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

I'll add my 2p for what it's worth. The only cars I have seen on bricks on my estate have been outside the council houses.

And yes, they where Fords

David
Old 28 August 2002, 08:18 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

"Chip eating"

Bloody hell these estates must be rough then.

Think Ill stay away.

Chip.
Old 28 August 2002, 08:38 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Talking

LOL @ Luke - straight to the point

DW
Old 28 August 2002, 08:49 PM
image doctor
Scooby Regular

Question

For some reason their is always a matress on the lawn too
Old 28 August 2002, 09:17 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

.......and a cooker.

Old 28 August 2002, 09:18 PM
Mark Jackson
Scooby Regular

At least there isnt so many F*ckin BMW's

Working council estate tenants seem to have a nice lifestyle, holidays abroad (well Spain anyway), sky telly, playstations, DVD's, Mondeo Ghia's, Latest football shirts, Gold Sovereign rings (ON EVERY FINGER), Tattoos, Hair Bleach, Taboo, Carling Black Label, Takeaways, Track Suits, white ski pants, ****, **** and More ****

I cant afford all that and I own my house !

Wonder why......

Old 28 August 2002, 09:21 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

....you can't afford it because you're paying all that tax to subsidise 'em.

Old 28 August 2002, 10:21 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

They usually paint there house number in big white numbers on the brickwork as well.

Daughters always pregnant at 14 or 15. That way she will get a council flat.

Dont foget the Tesco trolley outside the front door as well.

And another thing. How come they can afford to get taxis to go shopping in.

Remember years ago when working at a council house I went to take my boots off to walk inside when my mate said to me, "dont take your boots off, youll get your socks dirty". He was right to.Place was buzzin.

Just shows weve all got a bit of snob in us havent we.

Chip.
Old 28 August 2002, 10:41 PM
jonny gav
Scooby Regular

Talking

and the local boyracer has a.......

wait for it.......

cossie
Old 28 August 2002, 10:50 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

With furry dice.
Old 28 August 2002, 11:09 PM
Gaz Jones
Scooby Regular

On my local "council estate", they have taken it to the next level, instead of car on bricks they have bricks on car!!!

Also there is always someone called donna,
This may not sound funny, but imagine a strong manchester accent,

DONNOOOOOORRR

It is quite funny.
Dont leave your cars there, they will be watching you...

gaz
Old 28 August 2002, 11:52 PM
Luke
BANNED

Bet a few of them have Scoobs..They are a bit "Common" nowadays
Old 29 August 2002, 11:49 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

To be fair I've also seen a lot of immaculately maintained council flats/houses, and people going out on estates trying to clear up what the scum leave lying around. People may not have the choice of where they live, and try to make the best of where they end up. I've also seen plenty of people in nice cars chuck their rubbish out of the window as they drive to whatever nice part of town they live in.

As for 'fridges in the front garden, personally i think that's a good idea. ideal for when you fancy a cold one on a sunny day. i installed a fridge in my garden shed for exactly this purpose, although in the end it was too difficult to get electric out there... mattresses are also valuable for people who need a rest on their way back from the newsagent.

Charlie.
Old 29 August 2002, 11:50 AM
adamp
Scooby Regular

Red face

Same thing on the estate I am just about to move off of. The place is 2 and a half years old, mostly young professionals and young families who all look after what they've got.

Round one corner of the estate is the 'Affordable Housing' as the government refers to it now. These houses all look ****e and scruffy. It amazes me how much crap they can collect and not to foget the obligatory paint splashes all over the road. Nature knows where it should flourish though, none of the houses have anything resembling grass in their front gardens!

Adam
Old 29 August 2002, 11:55 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Arrow

Don't builders have to nake 5% of all new estate properties "affordable housing" ? Is this the same as council houses or something different ? Don't housing assosciations buy them and part-rent part-buy them out ?

Asking because I am moving to a brand new estate which has a small percentage of "affordable housing" . . . .
Old 29 August 2002, 12:05 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Talking

DJ

Different local authorities have different policies on 'affordable housing' (which has effectively replaced old style council housing). They make developers agree to build a certain amount 'affordable', which will usually be run by a housing association, before they will give them permssion to cram in loads of equally shoddily designed and built unaffordable housing.

If lots of houses have sattelite dishes the size of the millenium dome on their front wall, that'll be for getting good reception of Afganistan TV.

The only solution is to move to rural france...

Charlie.
Old 29 August 2002, 12:14 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Thumbs down

This is, some of these houses are big 4 bed detatched ones !!! Makes me sick in my 3 bed semi There are strict covenants on the houses not allowing sattelite dishs on the house front and no lorrys or vehicles over a certian weight etc. Probably won't make any difference though. They'll still have flippin' Bedford TK Tippers out the front no doubt.

Am I just being cynical ?
Old 29 August 2002, 12:47 PM
TomM
Scooby Regular

15 yr old kids hanging round a phonebox with baseball caps and Reebok classics, with a large stick of some veriety in hand, young girls dressed up woth tons of make up, scrunchies and badly fitting fake designer clothing. Dad that goes to work in a pair of shorts, wife that seems to be in and out of the house all day wearing something different everytime.

These people cant do anything without argueing about it,

"Iam going to the shop"
"WELL GO TO THE F*CKING SHOP THEN"

Police car sitting outside at any hour of the day, response time minimal as the Police know the address so well, alley ways with broken bottles, upside dwon Tesco trolley, and grafiti that tells us all to "Suck Dik", cars parked in varied fashion, normally on pavements or gardens, various dead mechanical items at side of house, windows always open - regardless of weather, grass so long its level with the front window ledge, 70's ford cortina or vauxhall viva rotting somehwere on premisis - Mk1 granada also a firm favourite.

I live on a really nice road but opposite there is a council estate which I can see from my toilet!, honestly, some of the things Ive watched is hilarious!. The phone box opposite my house has its own full time glazer. Sorry but they general population of these people are horrid, nasty, loud idiots!

Brining down the value of my house aswel, hence my low opinion of them.
Old 29 August 2002, 01:46 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Talking

Bloody Hell - you lot must know some posh council estates.
I was brought up on a couple of estates in Glasgow that are very well known but I won't name as I might get kneecapped.
When they brought some refugees over they refused to live there saying it was better where they came from and that was a war zone!
When you apply to join the SAS you get sent along one of the streets wearing a certain football top. If you make it to the end of the road You're in.
We did'nt have stray mangy dogs. We had stray rottweillers and wolverines. The milkman did his rounds in a chieftain tank. Postie was untouchable though as he delivered the giros.
Oh those were the days.
Alasdair
Old 29 August 2002, 01:55 PM
shunty
Scooby Regular

Wink

Quote "Postie was untouchable though as he delivered the giros."

shunty
Old 30 August 2002, 09:47 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink

Yes, yes, all familiar stories and all centred around councils edict that 5% should be affordable housing.

So we can understand why they spread them around because if they don't then they all end up in the Glasgow type council war zones/no go areas.

But why are they like it? Agreed that some treat the gift of a council property with gratitude that society has paid them and they now treat it with pride. So why do them majority treat it so badly and make the place a tip? What council will want to continually repair broken windows that the kids continually break? or the fence, or any other parts of the house that they abuse?

Different values again?

F
Old 30 August 2002, 10:00 PM
Many Humbug Returns
Scooby Regular

It is all down to personality. Scum drift down the soscial scale and wind up on these estates.
Old 31 August 2002, 12:12 AM
kimera
Scooby Regular

on my local scuzball estate, there is a half mile long queue outside the PO on a thurs morning, makes me sick. they all have greasy hair and 4 kids each with jam on their faces. my missus has a job where she visits people at home, and some of the stories she comes home with, sticky carpets, apparently some families stay in their dressing gowns all day and watch videos and eat lard. i dont know how she doesnt say anything, and to think im paying for them. When they do get dressed the always wear `kin shell suits aswell, maybe though its better to be a scuzzy with no common sense or moral values and the world just passes you by, relativley smart people seem to be stressed all the time, go figure! u never see the mud gobs worrying about bills, money etc. im off to impregnate a 17 year old gypo and live in a maisonette on the social, *** work
Old 31 August 2002, 01:03 AM
Eagle7
Scooby Regular

kimera again i agree, show me the gypo!

why should we work hard and be stressed when we could be a foul smellin, grog swillin mud gob and watch ripped off videos in our dressing gowns!

aah, now I'm returning to my roots!
Old 31 August 2002, 08:46 AM
Esoteric Beast
Scooby Regular

I was supposed to do a photo shoot with a young lady in Farnbourogh, she was an up and coming model and wanted to fill out her portfolio, so me being the nice bloke I am got her address and drove on down.

On the way I got slightly lost so asked a local for directions, "you dont want to go there mate" ...he said. Why I thought to myself does he know this girl?

HORROR.................

Reason for his warning was now becoming clear, I entered the said estate of a roundabout by the airfield. there were a few houses dotted about but mostly flats, the old GLC ones they built to house the overflow of London. driving down the road I had to drive in and out of things ranging from trolleys, broken bottles, police bollards(loads of them) even lumps of trees, which struck me as strange as I didnt see any trees around. there were flats boarded up some burn out and as for parking, I contacted said lady on phone and she said park anywhere, but would you park you car next to the Seirra with the windows broken on bricks or the Nova or Metro that had been burnt to a crisp?
Rang her back and said I wasnt parking anywhere round here, and if she wanted pics taken she would have to come down and we would do location. When she got in the car I said to her about the place, she said "Yes it is a bit of a mess".

A BIT.............

[Edited by Esoteric Beast - 8/31/2002 8:48:31 AM]
Old 31 August 2002, 09:07 AM
Luke
BANNED

She sounds very "Dirty" *** up over a wrecked car pic would have been good
Old 31 August 2002, 10:38 AM
scoobyangel
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

i have found myself in a position of having to apply for help with housing... and i dont want to but its either that or be homeless as i can in no way afford to buy my own home with prices as they are, only working part time and having a child on the way.

i have never wanted to live in a council house, and have shared many of your opinions on what the people are like... but.. i dont want to live in a tip, as i am sure alot of those people dont, but as you drive down a street that contains council housing, what do u notice??? certainly isnt the imaculatly kept houses with tidy lawns etc is it... u notice the scum!

i have been into private houses that i wouldnt allow an animal to live in and i have been into council houses which are fit for kings.

not everyone who lives in council owned property is scum, both me and my partner work but are not on i.t peeps wages, so i guess we are what you lot class as "scum" then????? and "scavs"????? i have never claimed a penny off the government in my life, and have always worked, but when average prices of a 1bed flat here are more than 6 times the average yearly wage how are we meant to afford it????? all good for all the people on London wages that are buying the houses here as "2nd homes" as they seem cheap as chips to them, unfortunatly we dont get paid that much down here so can no longer actually afford housing if on a "average working mans wage".

you know what... i am actually scared about living on a council housing estate... it is not something i want... and will strive to get the best out of a bad situation and will continue to work my **** off to try and get better.... you lot preaching and calling people who live in council housing "scum" dont help.

i dont smoke, dont drink, am not 15, am not unemployed and do not take pride in the fact that i have had to ask for help, i am ashamed of it if anything.....

spare some thought for those people who havnt got a choice, who dont want to be there, who are made to look bad because of the others that think it is their right to have free housing and free dole checks and never work a day in their life.

rant over.. going for a cry

Quick Reply: Does Council house = mess?