Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Mines faster, bigger,longer, harder etc etc.

Search this Thread

Old 21 August 2002, 01:37 PM
GONZO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Chuckled once again whilst reading the Scooby v BMW M3 thread. I personally have no loyalty to any one make of car - I love all cars fast, especially any with rally pedigree. Let's get one thing straight - performance figures belong in magazines, to be quoted by anoraks - in my humble opinion. These figures, 0-60 etc etc are gained by their testers, by thrashing each car again and again to within an inch of its life, and bear absolutely no resemblance to road performance. Each car has different performance attributes, at different revs, and depending on how good the driver is at extracting performance, will have a major bearing on any comparison between two cars. Racing on any public road is dangerous as well as being illegal, but we'll put that to one side for a moment. On a twisty road, a well driven Scoob will hammer a poorly driven new M3. The same driver, driving both cars would be quicker in an in the dry, possibly slower in the wet. A good driver in an M3 would absolutely murder a poorly driven Scoob. But what constitutes a good driver on the public road - one who gets from A to B quickest, on the absolute limit, with no concern for other road users safety, or somebody who drives at 7 tenths with a bit in hand for a unforeseen situation. I drive an imported WRX - it's my pride and joy. I don't clean it every week religously and I drive it quite hard. I consider myself to be a quick driver - not a really quick driver. A guy I work with is really quick. He has that rare ability to get in a car - any car, and within two hundred yards, is able to determine the cars limits. He used to be, in my opinion, a danger to himself and other road users. However he could drive most things, ie 1400cc renault 5 (non turbo) for instance quicker from A to B, than I could my Scoob. Any of you out there - excepting a small gifted minority, could pick any car you wanted, at any price, and I would put you on a twisty road, say 100mph max on straights. Then put Richard Burns or Colin Macrae, etc,etc in say, a boy racer Nova, and they would absolutely annialate any opposition over a five mile stretch. Any fast car is quick, it just depends on the driver, on how quick and irresponsible he is. I'm not posting to this any more, but flame suit at the ready. A thought provoking topic hopefully.
Cheers,
Gonzo.
Old 21 August 2002, 01:42 PM
TomM
Scooby Regular

Well said that man!, I agree with all you have said.

Would love to see Burns in a Nove 1.3sr!!!
Old 21 August 2002, 01:49 PM
jasonwrxowner
Scooby Regular

well put points but couldn't you have abreviated it a bit.....Like war and peace that was!

I'm climing under my desk now!
Old 21 August 2002, 01:51 PM
TAZMAN
Scooby Regular

sorry had to post when the title described me so well LOL
Old 21 August 2002, 01:52 PM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

Nice piece, but paragraphs please!!!
Old 21 August 2002, 01:54 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Totally agree, Unfortunately many people are blinkered to the above & just cannot understand how a lesser powered car can compete & even beat another.

Dean
Old 21 August 2002, 02:10 PM
ScoobyK
Scooby Regular

Not a lot that needs discussing there...all valid and salient points.
Old 21 August 2002, 02:40 PM
easilybored
Scooby Regular

Wink

Needed readers digest on that one.

EB

Old 21 August 2002, 02:40 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Nonsense, my Scooby is THE fastest thing on the road and can't be beaten by anything. Ever.
Old 21 August 2002, 02:46 PM
GONZO
Scooby Regular

Wink

OK. Thanks for nice comments. Just red old English report from school - 24 yrs ago. Waffles too much. Enough said.
Gonzo
Old 21 August 2002, 03:23 PM
Scooby Snacks
Scooby Regular

I remember my reports from school.

One year it was "Andy could do better".

The following year it was "we were wrong, Andy couldn't do better"!

Old 21 August 2002, 04:34 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

[rant]

I never post on these M3 vs WRX, P1 vs Evo threads, they are all bollocks IMHO of course

Totally agree with all that's been said above, all the performance figures spat out on here are normally nonsense.

People are still harking on about how slow the bug eye is compared to the classic shape. When out on the road there's such a slight difference between bhp, weight, etc that they are almost identical despite what performance figures suggest.

A standard 01 WRX kept up with me no probs when I was in my fully decatted MY96, we both floored it in second on a dual carriage way and he stuck to me like glue.

People should just enjoy their scoobies but also appreciate there are better, faster, nicer cars out there.

[/rant]
Old 21 August 2002, 04:35 PM
TomM
Scooby Regular

We should call this the "talk sense" thread as everyone has so far!!
Old 21 August 2002, 05:10 PM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

where did that come from?