Speeding police cars

Search this Thread

Old 17 August 2002, 10:53 AM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

just out interest, is it illegal for police cars to break the speed limits if their lights and sirens are not on??
A marked car passed me while I was doing just over 40 mph in a 40mph limt and continued to pull away from me. Would it be vindictive tor report them for doing just as many other people have done and been fined for the pleasure?? (I have the reg #!!!)
Old 17 August 2002, 10:59 AM
Katana
Scooby Regular

It is supposedly illegal. But with power, comes corruption hence why its okay for them to speed and not us..

And yes, if the tables are turned around, I'd do the same thing too..

[Edited by Katana - 8/17/2002 11:01:55 AM]
Old 17 August 2002, 11:03 AM
Maddriver
Scooby Regular

Depends on the circomstances. They can exceed the speed limits only if they are on an emergency call, but not otherwise.

Of course they don't always use flashing lights and sirens on emergency calls. If they are travelling through residential areas at night they wouldn't want to wake ppl up. and I guess on some occasions they wouldn't want to advertise thier presence to suspects.

Can't think of any *good* reason why they'd be exceeding the speed limit on a dual carriage way / Motorway without lights tho.

Keith
Scooby Wannabe
Old 17 August 2002, 11:24 AM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Talking

Dual carriageway, 10 am today
Old 17 August 2002, 11:44 AM
Maddriver
Scooby Regular

Okay I guess they could have been following a speeding car to get a read on thier speed & video evididence.

Hmm would be interested to know what happens if you do report it.

My guess is tho that without an accurate reading of the speed nothing will happen. After all the police can only do us if we're caught by an approved method of calculating our speed. E.g. an approved speed camera / laser gun or a properly calibrated speed device in a police car.

Without a measure of speed from an approved speed measuring device theres no evidence to prosicute(sp) - and we can get away with it if the police can't prove that device was calibrated in accordance with proper procedures.
Old 17 August 2002, 12:26 PM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

Well you are welcome to report them, however being cynical I'd suggest you might suddenly find yourself subject to lots of unwanted attention from the local police!
Old 17 August 2002, 03:26 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Wink

Chris, I thought about that one too...lucky was driving a nice anonmyous car, not the scoob
But will prob leave it as I would like a little more co-operation from Herts Police (even though incident in question happened 13 months ago!)

Trending Topics

Old 17 August 2002, 06:34 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Err no, if the Police want to speed without blue lights and sirens, they can. As long as the driver can justify why he was doing it, and can show that without breaking the speed limit it would have impeeded the use for which the vehicle was being put to. If the vehicle is not being used as such then it shouldn't be speeding.

If the driver had a crash then it would be up to him/her to justify why they were speeing or answering a call without the use of blue lights.

I can think of several operations where it clearly states that drivers are not to use blue lights or sirens as this would draw attention to the incident. The same as going to a burglary in progress, you don't really want them to know you're coming. Sirens can be heard for miles and blue lights can be seen for just as far, especially at night.
Old 17 August 2002, 07:59 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Angry

My Mum and Dad were nearly killed by a speeding Police car whilst walking on a country road a couple of months ago (Leicestershire.) A number of cars came round a bend in full control - then comes a patrol car, no siren or lights - far to fast, so he has to slam on his anchors, skids the car and loses control. To avoid sliding into on-coming traffic on the wrong side of the road he has to let off his brakes and continues towards my parents. They then have to dive into bushes to avoid being run down. Sadly it happened too quickly for them to get any details to report.

To55er [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] I wonder why people don't have any respect for them any more