Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Job interviews - Advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 15 August 2002, 11:33 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Well I must be one of the few people that are managing to get job interviews in the IT industry at the moment. I have 2 confirmed. One in the middle of next week and the other in the early part of September. What I would like is some advice from anyone basically. I have not had an interview in 4 years (when I started work) so I would imagine I am a bit rusty.

Are there are Do's and don'ts, I was planning to wear my new suit that I bought for this very occasion but I only have a decent purple shirt and a decent purple tie (the girlfriend choose the colour). I remember being told a long time ago that you should really wear a white shirt with a blue tie. Does this sound right?

Has any one go any advice that may assist me?

Many thanks
Darren
Old 15 August 2002, 11:47 PM
kav
Scooby Regular

Wink

Be yourself.

The moment you starting trying to be something you're patently not, it's all going to go smelly. Prepare yourself for the interview by finding out as much as you can about the company you're going to see.

Above all, relax and enjoy and you'll do just fine.

Cheers
Kav
Old 16 August 2002, 12:12 AM
Belf
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't wear a purple shirt to an interview. You've got to remember you have to be what they want, not what you think you should be. Best to dress conservatively, white or blue shirt with a matching tie (plain or just a simple repeating pattern - nothing over the top). The interviewer will make a subconcious decision on whether they like you in the first 20 seconds, image is very important.
Old 16 August 2002, 12:47 AM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Dress wise it all depends on the company. I went for an interview at EA and went in jeans, trainers and a Megadeath T-shirt OK, it was for a webmaster job in the hip'n'trendy development group. Got offered the job, but the pay was naff so turned it down...

Best advice I could give is (if they are local), park up outside at kicking out time and see what the dress code seems to be then match that, but as someone said, don't try to be someone you are not.

Another thing I can't stand while being an interviewer is people who are trying to show off (as apposed to selling themselves). You do tend to get this from graduates rather than those who have lots of experience. I'm usually the techincal bod at these interviews for IT jobs and if they try to show off about XYZ system (and I happen to know about it) I'll drill them until I find out exactly how much they know. And I'll push them hard.

Someone who joined us recently is a real star but has very little experience. But he is savvy so in the interview he mentioned something about problems with IIS, so I asked him a specific (can't remember what). He was totally honest and said, actually he didn't know, but he did know where to look to find out

Someone else mentioned doing research. I can't stress that enough. Get hold of as much info. about them as possible, read their entire website, yearly annual report or technical reports etc. For IT jobs, find out about their systems (if you can) and then gen up on info about these systems. Just make it look like you have done your research but don't over do it.

Other than that, relax, be yourself and remember that your life does *not* rest on getting the job.

Cheers

Ian
Old 16 August 2002, 06:57 AM
S55 HOT
Scooby Regular

Wink

I interview lots of people - the biggest turn off is those that don't ask any questions - do they really want this job or are they just looking for any job.

At the end or whenever you get asked if you've got any questions you have to ask as though you have the job in the bag - what are the people like, what's a typical project, what's the technology, how detailed are the specs, who does the testing, how much user interaction is there etc. etc.

Dont ask about cash - there's plenty of time to negotiate after they make you an offer !
Old 16 August 2002, 07:45 AM
Trout...
Scooby Regular

Dress smart - you can always go more casual later...

...you can't get more smart from casual tho.

I turned up at an office a couple of years ago and there was a sign on the reception desk saying that 'Gentlemen will not be admitted without a tie'!!!!

However white shirt and blue tie - only if you want to work for IBM! And I know that I don't (statement of fact as I just resigned from there )

Relax, be yourself, show some interest in the job and the company.

Trout
Old 16 August 2002, 09:27 AM
MrDBM
Scooby Regular

research shows that a decision will be made about you within the first four minutes - the rest of the interview is spent justifying that decision. In summary, create a good first impression..!

Research is really the key, we have people coming in here who don't know the difference between a frigate and a destroyer (i kid you not!)

I've seen several cunning techniques over the past couple of years - I'll share two of the most interesting;

1. Wear something very smart, but distinctive - we had several graduates one time all in white shirts, apart from one chap who chose yellow - he stuck in our minds because of that alone! (and that's key - being different means people remember you!)

2. Shake hands with your left hand - it's distinctive, and creates the impression that you are an individual and don't wish to conform to please others - it also gives you more confidence, and shifts the physcological advantage to yourself. (in theory - although I use it all the time and you'd be surprised at the effects!)

Trending Topics

Old 16 August 2002, 09:31 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Red face

Shake hands with your left hand - it's distinctive, and creates the impression that you are an individual and don't wish to conform to please others
What a load of rubbish? Who told you that?

All it'll do is create an awkward and uncomfortable confusion when both of you reach out with the opposite hand! Considering that the first impression is made in the first 20-30 seconds, the above technique could blow the whole interview before you've even sat down. If somebody I was interviewing reached out to shake hands with their left hand, I'd assumed they were a plonker who hadn't had much experience of life (unless their right arm was broken ).

Just shake hands, not too firmly (but not limply) as normal with the right hand. Oh, and make sure your hand is dry when you shake - nothing worse than a clammy handshake!
Old 16 August 2002, 09:37 AM
AdrianFRST
Scooby Regular

I've done 7 or so interviews in the last year (and got 5 of them) and I'm at the point where not only do I not get nervous, I actually enjoy the interview process!

I have a killer question which I always use at the end:

"Is there anything you've seen here today that you think would affect my suitability for the role?"

This is a good way to end, as there is nothing worse than leaving the interview wondering if they thought you were experienced enough or if the had any doubts about you. It lets you reassure any reservations they may have etc.
Old 16 August 2002, 11:25 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

I'm with MarkO about the left handed handshake. I've done a lot of interviewing and had lots of interviews and I would be seriously put off by someone doing this. The yellow shirt might work, but unless you are going to a mega hip and trendy company, wear a sober suit and tie. Shirt colour - nothing too lary. Homer Simpson ties ands socks are totally out as well! Also, socks match the shoes, not the suit. White socks are also totally out! And polish the shoes - dirty scuffed shoes are not impressive.

Make sure you allow plenty of time to arrive in time. I often arrive an hour early to a) Allow for delays and b) Check out the local area. Make sure you have a hankerchief to dry your hands. Also comes in handy if you get a runny nose . As mentioned before, a clammy handshake is yuck. A firm handshake is best and don't do that awful thing where you grab the fingers only - again yuck!

I usually have a briefcase with a few extra copies of my CV in it. I'm amazed at the amount of times I arrived for the interview and they haven't got a copy to hand. The case is handy also for contact details of the interviewers (if you are running late/lost etc) any maps, directions etc. Have a notepad in it for making notes during the interview - don't doodle on it though. Make sure you have a couple of working pens. If you have any examples of code you've written bring it with you on a floppy or CD. Never, ever give out code you've written at another firm though. Take any details of the company with you to read on the way (if you aren't driving). If there is the slightest possiblity of it raining, have a brolly with you in the case. Even running across a carpark can make you look like a drowned rat in heavy rain.

When you first greet your interviewer, beam a huge smile. Be as chirpy as possible, and, even if you've had the journey from hell, lie and say it was fine. I also never take up the offer of coffee/tea or water (make sure you have a drink before arriving, but not so much you need the loo while you're there) because you could be nervous and have the cup shaking all over the place. You could spill some down your shirt or just knock it over on the table. Maybe I'm just clumsy, but I don't want to risk it in an interview.

Be careful about body posture. One guy I interviewed, took his jacket off, rolled his sleeves up and sat lolling about one minute and then moved to an almost aggressive stance the next. Try not to say "er" to much as well. If you don't know the answer to something - say so. I can spot bull**** a mile off. Most people do all sorts of things that indicates they are lying/exagerating etc.

Make sure that you can back up what it says on your CV. I have a good read of someones CV and will question them in depth about their technical skills. I caught out one girl who claimed to have 3 months of commercial experience which actually transpired to be a few hours at college. If I had been leading the interview I would have shown her the door there and then. I don't like liars wasting my time.

If the interviewer asks if you have any bad points, don't reel off a list of every bad point you have. You'll be amazed at what some people will say in interviews to this question - "I hate sitting by the window","I don't like people who eat garlic", "I'm bad at getting up in the morning", "I sometimes fall asleep at my desk" etc.

Don't forget you are interviewing the company to see if you want to work for them. Ask as many (sensible) questions as you can. Ask why this position is open - did someone leave, or are they expanding etc. Try and find out a bit about the company. I bet even Enron and Worldcom were hiring right up to the last minute. It will also impress them if it shows you've done some research.

But the most important thing, as said before, is be yourself. Assuming, that is, you aren't a gibbering lunatic axe murderer

PS: Is it obvious my boss is out of the office today?
Old 16 August 2002, 11:37 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Very good points, Jerome, and all true.

The interesting thing is that having done a fair bit of interviewing, it's very clear that for even the most technical of jobs, technical knowledge comes 2nd to personality and attitude.

For example, I'd much rather take on a developer who knows where to find the information he/she needs, than one who has it all in their head. Nobody knows the entire RogueWave class library or the entire NT API set off by heart, but I do expect them to be able to understand the principals and general structures involved.

Enthusiasm is also important - if somebody clearly enjoys their work, they're likely to be better at it. If you are enthusiastic, make sure the other person knows it.
Old 16 August 2002, 11:38 AM
MrDBM
Scooby Regular

MarkO - it's just a suggestion..!

I've seen people do it to me, and it's a quality technique. It gives me the impression that they are not total conformist butt kissers... they'll tell you a spade is a spade if you like.

There was an article in a management journo a couple of months back that mentioned it as well
Old 16 August 2002, 11:43 AM
DAC
Scooby Regular

alot of good advice here,

all I would add is Interview them, ask alot of questions,
not just at the end but picking up on points they make.
sounds like your interested.

Most interviewers are Tos$ers who wouldnt get another job themselves (IMHO and experience)
keep your head up high, dont react to provocation, dont beg.
and remember for you its life changing, for the interviewer
its another day at work (hence the Tos$er aspect)
they dont care.
Old 16 August 2002, 03:24 PM
S55 HOT
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Closing with a question about any reservations they have about you is a good one - I've used that too - clears the air about anything the interviewer may have mis-interpreted.
Old 16 August 2002, 03:44 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Wink

There was an article in a management journo a couple of months back that mentioned it
Well, there you go then. That pretty much proves it's a w@nky idea then.
Old 16 August 2002, 03:45 PM
ChrisB

Same article probably suggested using "paradigm" and "synergy" in an interview as well.
Old 16 August 2002, 03:47 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Wink

Yep. It probably suggested that you leverage the other person's hand vertically with your left hand.
Old 16 August 2002, 05:04 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Thanks all (especially Jerome) your have all been, as usual, loads of help.

Most of what was mentioned I was going to do anyway but there are some killer ideas that I never even thought about.

Thanks again
Darren
Old 16 August 2002, 05:18 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

The "dont ask about cash bit" annoys me. I've been lucky with my last few but the wife has moved a couple of times recently. At one pont she weas goinf for jobs in london. The commute is expensive and a signifcant cost. On a couple of occasions she was asked back for a second i/v (needing time off work to get down into London before 5 and costing £40 a pop). Offered the Job at 5K under what she said she was looking for. If she'd asked in the first i/v or before 2nd then she'd have saved no end of time and hassle for everyone.

Last time I went for a job. Interview lasted 5 mins, MD asked a few questions and gave me afigure. It had taken me 2 weeks with spreadsheets to calculate the differences in not commuting etc and what I needed to move jobs closer to home, compensate for no O/T. She got to thet figure in 15 secs of mental calculations. - Guess thats why shes an MD and I'm not

Deano
Old 16 August 2002, 07:19 PM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Can't say I'd like to be offered a left hand to shake. Haven't done that since I was in the Cub Scouts
Top tips from Jerome and the best tip (which hopefully I'll get to use soon) is the
"Is there anything you've seen here today that you think would affect my suitability for the role?"
I've really got to remember that one.
Old 16 August 2002, 09:06 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Wink

Easy Peasy

Get out a copy of Trainspotting. See the intervies scene in it. (Spud I think, been a while since i watched it)) then repeat. Should have the job in minutes!

Or not

Richard