Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Paraballooning - new sport

Search this Thread

Old 14 August 2002, 10:27 PM
chopper
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I was looking for a suitable activity this weekend and stumbled across this. It sounds like fun - tie yourself to a large helium balloon with tethers and jump - you will soar to 100ft before coming down - a bit like moonwalking. I wondered if anyone knows of UK org doing this yet, as it is a new US sport and I don't know if it has come to the UK yet...the internet seems to be not much use for info - so I am relying on my fellow scoobynetters, cos most of you are adrenalin junkies and probably know more about this than me

Old 14 August 2002, 10:28 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

I've seen it available through the gifts/activities section of Lastminute.com - can't remember prices or exact location - so go have a look
Old 14 August 2002, 11:13 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Cool

"Soar" to 100ft!!! Shurely shome mishtake?
Old 14 August 2002, 11:36 PM
chopper
Scooby Regular

Mr Connery aka Jerome,

Soar is relative - imagine jumping off a field and looking over a 4 storey building then coming down slowly. Ok, so a seagull would outdo you in the soar stakes if we're being pedantic, but I still think it sounds interesting - I shall check LM cheers boost
Old 14 August 2002, 11:43 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Cool

Fairy Snuff Chopper,

Maybe marginally more interesting than the Telegraph crossword.

If you can make it to Netheravon airfield, you could gently drift down from 4000 ft. I highly recommend it. Only catch is you have to throw yourself out of a perfectly serviceable aircraft. Something I imagine may be difficult for a pilot...
Old 14 August 2002, 11:48 PM
chopper
Scooby Regular

Ah, I didn't mention I am looking for a suitable activity to entertain my new beau with and if I take her up in my helicopter immediately she will just think I'm showing off and not enjoy the feeling of flight... I may go gliding with her this Sat, as she has never been in the air before....

So you parachute Jerome? Sounds like a lot more peaceful and sensible activity than flying choppers...

[Edited by chopper - 8/14/2002 11:52:32 PM]
Old 15 August 2002, 12:10 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Cool

I did a freefall course with the Army a few years ago. It took me 17 static line jumps before a mad instructor allowed me to attempt freefall. Only mananged 2 freefall (totally out of control spiralling) jumps before the end of the course. I was never happy with the bit before the chute opened, but when the chute was open, I was totally at home. I even got b0ll0cked for speeding a couple of times. I even used to bet the other guys in the plane that I would be the first to land...
Old 15 August 2002, 12:17 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Actually, as your date hasn't been in the air before, then paraballooning is probably ideal. Gliding is also reasonably sedate.
Old 15 August 2002, 12:19 AM
chopper
Scooby Regular

Nice one Jerome. I did 2 statics at Peterlee a long time ago - landed on a barbed wire fence and nearly on some sheep on my first one.... second one I got the line twisted behind my neck and had to kick it out. Ever since then I've stayed IN-side the aircraft....say no more..!

Speeding in the sky? That takes the biscuit! Is the sky the only place you can now get away with it without actual financial penalties (bollo**ing from CFO doesn't count, cos they're always grumpy, especially in the Army)

[Edited by chopper - 8/15/2002 12:21:47 AM]
Old 15 August 2002, 12:30 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Cool

The "speeding" involved firstly spiralling below 1500 ft (ie one toggle all the way down) and the second one was doing a hook turn at around 250 ft. At the end of the turn I'd lost over 100 ft!

I've also spent a fair amount of time in choppers and have experienced a few enthusiastic military pilots. Beats the fairground any day!!!
Old 15 August 2002, 12:38 AM
chopper
Scooby Regular

Out in QLD, when the blackhawk and old Huey boys used to come in at low level and torque turn to great effect for destroying local gardens a lot lower than they should, I know what you mean about the enthusiatic military pilots... one even was playing Ride of the Valkyries on a tannoy as he tore in. Nothing beats a supersonic flypast combined with a return and vertical climbout in a F1-11 for making your day though I tell you, when all you were doing was cooking on the barbie... burnt mi sausages I did that day....

You still in the forces ?
Old 15 August 2002, 07:16 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Still in the forces in that I'm in the TA. Have been for 15 years. Almost joined the regulars when I was 17 but decided decent money in civvy street and the TA were the best of both worlds.
Old 15 August 2002, 07:46 AM
DemonDave
Scooby Regular

Talking

Chopper,

The sport seems to have a name "jump ballooning"

try http://www.jumpballoons.co.uk/intro.htm.

They seem to be suppliers but might be able to point in in the right direction of somebody in your area.

Don't know why she wouldn't want to go in the chopper, I have a 2 year who can't wait to try, but it is so expensive to get the rides here.

Dave
Old 17 August 2002, 08:30 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Smile

If still of interest, no longer seems to be on Lastminute but is available here £53 for a double jump with Virgin-Experiences
Old 17 August 2002, 10:17 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Talking

My old man is organising a european skydiving formation record attempt for the over 40's in a couple of weeks at his DZ at Langar Airfield near Nottingham, (31st aug/1st sept) if you are local to that area it should be pretty good fun, i may post something on here nearer the time. My dad holds records for the over 40's in the UK and Europe.

I had a go at it and found it boring, too much waiting around. I flew solo in Gliders at 16 too, that was great fun.
Old 18 August 2002, 12:20 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Smile

My old man is organising a european skydiving formation record attempt........I had a go at it and found it boring, too much waiting around.

Dude, you must be pretty laid back - perhaps try shark wrestling to break a sweat
Old 18 August 2002, 11:15 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

John ain't happy unless he's melting stuff
Old 19 August 2002, 01:29 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Wink

LOL

That is a problem, i do find that things that excite most people just about wake me up. LOL

I blame doing aerobatics in single engined 2 seaters and gliders at 13 years old kind of removed most fear from my system.