Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

24 Hour test drive

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2002, 09:49 AM
Fast_Blue_Scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My wife is thinking of getting a new car to replace the run around she has had for a few years. So we turned up at a few garages and took a few cars out on our own with our 2 kids in the back. However when we came to test out a car at a Ford garage, we were told that they needed someone to come out with us in the car for insurance purposes! First time I have heard of this. Anyway despite them making some phone calls to check things out, they wouldn't allow us to take the car out on our own.

However they did say that we could have a demonstration car for 24 hours BUT we would need to phone our insurance company up to check!! Why?! Anyway as we are with elephant.co.uk, it is 60p a minute to talk to them, so I have sent them an email instead to ask if we are covered to test a car out for 24 hours.

In the meantime while I await their reply, I thought I would ask if anyone knows what is going on here. We have had a car for 24 hours before a couple of years back to test drive it so is it right that we have to inform our insurance company? Or does the note in the insurance policy which states you can drive any other car not legally owned by you cover us for these 24 hour test drives?

Any help would be appreciated?
Old 13 August 2002, 10:49 AM
Alpine
Scooby Regular

Usually on a comprehensive policy you can drive any other motor with permission but only third party covered... Not much good to the garage if you total their car...

Getting people to cover the insurance on courtesy cars seems quite common these days and I would guess just a cost cutting exercise for the dealership... Most companies will do it for a day for free...
Old 13 August 2002, 01:30 PM
BigGT3Fan
Scooby Regular

Or at least the garage say, "Our policy doesn't cover you, but for a reasonable fee you can buy cover for a day". I've seen this many times, usually 30 quid or so...
Old 13 August 2002, 02:57 PM
Woz
Scooby Regular

try another dealer. U don;t wanna buy a ford anyway! U would think a dealer would fork out for insurance so people could test drive cars they are trying to sell? maybe the sales guy has to sit in the car and hold it together? the dash might fall off etc. sry had too many bad experiences with fords...c##p build quality