Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Hi-fi connectivity question

Search this Thread

Old 08 August 2002, 01:12 PM
GEJL
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm trying the following out and it doesn't seem to work: anyone know why?

Taking the "line out" pair of phonos from an Arcam 7R amp, connecting to a pair of input phonos on a Yamaha AX620 AV amp (say the CD input for sake of argument). I'm expecting to be able to play whatever is playing through the Arcam via the Yamaha as well (reason being I've got a second set of speakers in another room from the Yamaha). Obviously, I select CD as the source on the Yam.

But I get nothing. Any ideas why? Is the line level on a "line out" output lower/higher than from a source (such as a CD player), and therefore not registering on the Yam?

The line out on the Arcam is meant for driving a separate power amp, but I'd have thought that was pretty well what I was doing by hooking it into the Yam...?
Old 08 August 2002, 10:15 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

If the line out is designed for driving a separate power amp, the level of signal coming out from it will be affected by the volume control on the Arcam. Somewhere around half volume would give about the same level signal as a CD player, although it will obvously by then be fairly loud in the room the arcam is in!

Tape/MD etc outputs are nicer in that they aren't affected by the volume control - if you have one of those, connect it up instead.

If you're really struggling still, mail me
Old 08 August 2002, 10:31 PM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

Is the line out also the tape out? If so you will have to select tape monitor to hear anything.
Old 08 August 2002, 10:58 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Chaz - you're getting the wrong end of the stick m8.

The tape output is live the whole time. You press the tape monitor button - on those amps that have it - to hear the signal that is arriving at the tape input. In this case, we're talking about feeding the tape out to the "CD" input of a different amp in a different room, hence tape monitor selection on the first amp is irrelevant.

The nicest solution for this situation is to have a seperate dedicated AV amp output from your pre-amp to feed to the cinema amp. I have only ever seen one amplifier that does this; unfortunately for everyone else, I built it
Old 08 August 2002, 11:07 PM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

Why do I have to select it on my Marantz then m8?
Old 08 August 2002, 11:44 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Which model Marantz? I have encountered several and had one in bits to fix and uprate, but possibly yours is different. On every amp I have ever encountered, and there are many:

The signal from the output of the tape deck, which plugs into the amplifiers tape input , needs you to select tape monitor to hear it. i.e you need tape monitor "on" to listen to a tape.

The signal, from the amplifiers tape output , which plugs into the tape deck's tape input, should come out all the time. i.e. you do not need tape monitor "on" to be able to record to a tape.

I may be wrong, but I still think you have the wrong end of the stick.

GEJL - sorry to hijack your thread m8. Offer still stands: if you are getting nowhere, mail me with as many details as you can. I've designed and built surround sound processors, amplifiers etc from scratch, so should be able to get to the bottom of your troubles . I'll be away from mail due to wedding at the weekend (not mine!), but will respond when I get back.

[Edited by hades - 8/8/2002 11:45:07 PM]
Old 09 August 2002, 09:37 AM
GEJL
Scooby Regular

Hades - thanks for the reply. Sounds logical! I've only one tape loop on the Arcam, I think, which is already in use, but I'll give it a try and see how I get on. As to when assorted small children will allow me the time to fiddle around with cables undisturbed is another question...

Trending Topics

Old 09 August 2002, 08:16 PM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

Hades-wasn't suggesting that what you were saying was wrong. Just thought that it might be another strange Marantz set up like mine.
I too have a little experience with setting up hi-fi systems. The most expensive to date was a multi room Linn system £190k, this biggest home cinema £160k, this did however enclude the refurb on the barn!