Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Driving in Germany

Search this Thread

Old 06 August 2002, 07:21 PM
555 BOY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm going over to Germany watching the WRC, can anybody comment on the following questions with regard to German,French & Belgium road traffic laws?

- Radar/Camera detectors, are they legal to use in the above counties ????

- Is SUL readily available in the above countrys and approx prices if poss.

- Full De-Cat zorst, Legal etc..... ???

- Do you still need to display a GB badge if not on your plates?

- Do you need headlight stickers for driving on RHS, What about Bug eyes ????

- Do you still need a "Green card" ????

- Any other stupid laws what foreign countries such as FRANCE have for driving would be much appreciated if pointed out

Cheers,

Old 06 August 2002, 07:33 PM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

going over to Germany watching the WRC, can anybody comment on the following questions with regard to German,French & Belgium road traffic laws?

- Radar/Camera detectors, are they legal to use in the above counties ???? I think France still shoot you for it

- Is SUL readily available in the above countrys and approx prices if poss. easily available and its 98 Octane rather than 97

- Full De-Cat zorst, Legal etc..... ???dunno

- Do you still need to display a GB badge if not on your plates?yes

- Do you need headlight stickers for driving on RHS, What about Bug eyes ????Only if they are being really aresy

- Do you still need a "Green card" ???? depends on your insurance co. Most cover you for the minimum cover legally required in each country ie 3rd party. Green card makes you fully comp

- Any other stupid laws what foreign countries such as FRANCE have for driving would be much appreciated if pointed out must carry spare bulbs and warning triangle. Not sure but I think Germany also require a 1st aid kit. Pop down to Halfords, they do a leaflet which say what you are required to carry for each country
Old 06 August 2002, 07:37 PM
phm
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

First aid kit and also a min of 5l of spare fuel.
PHM Have a nice trip.
Old 06 August 2002, 10:07 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Smile

Just to add. SUL in Germany is around the 73p / litre level.
Be sure you use Super PLUS (98 Octane) and not Super (95 Octane)
Old 07 August 2002, 11:50 AM
camk
Scooby Regular

I think you need a warning triangle and first aid kit for Germany. Radar detectors I believe are OK in some states(Laender) and not in others, so I'd say avoid it. As said before Super plus is standard in most garages. GB sticker has been discussed before but I've not got a D one on mine and have done 65K right across Europe(CZ,F,A,CH,I,D,B,Lux,NL) in the last 18 months with no issue. Running out of petrol on German A/Bahn is a fineable offence Speeding fines for Foreign drivers in Germany are payable on the spot(or nearest cash machine) but your really unlikely to have any trouble. Also bring your registration document as it reduces any hassle as its the first thing they'll ask for. Never speak German to the police, even if your good as if they don't know English they are likely to let you off as its less hassle, many do however speak English

Regards
Cammy
Old 07 August 2002, 08:45 PM
rawsy
Scooby Regular

Smile

I'm also pretty sure I'm driving over to Germany to watch the wrc. Which way u plan on going, I'm driving from the NE area and not sure whether to go on the ferry from Newcastle, or drive down south and thru the channel tunnel ??

My mate is also driving over (both of us in sti7's), so we should try to meet up at some point. No idea where we are watchin it yet, or where we r camping !! Mail me off-line if u want to arrange something.

Cheers,

G
Old 08 August 2002, 12:13 AM
Thunder77
Scooby Regular

Yep you'll definetly need a first aid kit for Germany. Got stopped once and they wanted to see it, especially the plastic gloves.

Trending Topics

Old 08 August 2002, 08:29 AM
mannyo
Scooby Regular

Thought I would add my bit.

If planning on driving through France Radar detectors are very Illegal and if caught the will confiscate and destroy it on the spot. There has been once case where the driver of the car was forced to drive over his own detector.

I have seen during my recent trip in germany several gatso type camera's with signs indicating the presence of them about 6ft in front of the camera. and in belgium unmarked police cars parked on the central reservation with handheld radar device.

oops, and dont go for the green pump with benzine written on it, I think thats 91 ron unleaded.

[Edited by mannyo - 8/8/2002 8:30:54 AM]
Old 08 August 2002, 06:42 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

If you wear glasses - take a spare pair!

mb
Old 08 August 2002, 08:13 PM
555 BOY
Scooby Regular

Cheers for all the info folks, keep it coming though

Rawsy, I'm going down on the Monday and coming back the following Wednesday in my MY01 WRBlue, I'm staying in Trier but no doubt we'll bump into each other during the week sometime, you'll know its me by my Reg Plate, Part namesake but better

Cheers.