Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

'that' accent...where did it come from??

Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2002, 12:08 AM
Spudgun VI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

its hard to explain, but there seems to be an 'accent' or way of speaking that is getting more and more prevelant.
an example?

jo ****** wiley.
that irritating voice over guy on radio one (sounds a smug ****)

they use the words 'uni'[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] a lot, and everything has to be 'experienced'

is it a fad? please dont say this is how we're all going to be speaking eventually. when i hear this accent (usually ****** students or radio one 'personalities' to be honest) i feel the need to kill

it used to be trendy speaking in 'mockney', now this.whatever bl00dy next

someone out there offer a glimmer of hope
Old 26 July 2002, 12:27 AM
sebastian
Scooby Regular

All DJs, except the wonderful John Peel, sound exactly the same to me: basically stupid, patronising and bloody pleased with themselves. It is DJ-talk, its not human, I ve never met anyone in real life who speaks in such an insipid, inane yet full-of-themselves way.

Morrisey is a bit of a ponce but he did have a point with that song about "hanging the blessed DJ!"

Edited in the light of post below by FatherPierre to remove an offending apostrophe in DJs!!

[Edited by sebastian - 7/26/2002 12:45:55 AM]
Old 26 July 2002, 12:35 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

I think the double negative speak is more annoying. 'I ain't done nothing' or such like. Plus, and this is annoying to me (English teacher), using apostrophes where they're not meant to be! Example: M3's, SRI's, P1's, STI's, WRX's and so on. It's M3s, SRIs or P1s! Sorry to lecture, but the apostrophe is only for possessives or abbreviations, such as: John's car or Mikes' house and don't, wouldn't, etc!
Old 26 July 2002, 04:32 AM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Listen m8. I originally come from Glasgow (and not a posh part) so unless they employ people who speak quickly, swear a lot and use a lot of slang you've got no f**kin' worries about everyone talking the same.
Alas
Old 26 July 2002, 06:51 AM
bros2
Scooby Regular

And as for those people who raise their voice slightly as if to ask a question at the end of every sentence? You know? Like I'm trying to sound Australian?

AAAAARRRGH!!

Oh, and couldn't agree more, fatherpierre - the use of apostrophes is shockingly poorly applied.

bros
Old 26 July 2002, 07:43 AM
Spudgun VI
Scooby Regular

Cool

ive noticed that one too, bros2. irritating beyond belief.

if blair is supposed to be from the north east, how come he speaks without any northern accent whatsoever? i'm from teeside originally, and i can assure you i dont sound like he does.ive always thought he sounds a little bit camp