Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

FAO people who go to the gym or medical people

Search this Thread

Old 19 July 2002, 08:35 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats opinion on Creatine and such products?

Si
Old 19 July 2002, 09:01 PM
Langy
Scooby Regular

Creatine is, creatine monohydrate in short is a precursor to ATP, or adenosinetriphostphate which is the short term energy source used by the body in actions such as sprinting, wieght lifting etc. The theory is that you overload on creatine and it is forced into the muscle allowing that "one more rep" this in turn is thought to lead ultimately to more lean muscle mass, in which it does in a small way but most mass is gained through excess fluid that is drawn in muscle cells due to the storage of excess creatine so a false gain in some ways as when you are in your "off cycle" a loss of mass will be noticed (though not lean muscle mass). This ultimately leads to people not coming off or increasing their dose and the long term effects are yet to be revealed fears are that the body will not produce as much as it maybye has a balancing mechanism. Other short term effects can be diaorhea and bloatedness. Up to you, if it is your first time taking such products i would recommend a company called maximuscles "Cyclone" which has all necessary ingriedients to give your system and muscles a good boost. It also means the creatine has something to build with to help permenant muscle growth

What is your training regime and aims?
Make sure you eat a balanced diet (a pint of semi-skimmed milk after training will give you the same benefits as expensive protien shakes).
If you are really serious then you could get some pro-hormones while they are legal

Let me know if you need any help
Old 19 July 2002, 09:48 PM
jonny gav
Scooby Regular

Red face

"milk is as good as a protein drink",are you on glue???

Creatine works well if you are wanting to gain muscle strength and size(the more dense muscle is the more creatine your muscle will hold)

if you are going to use creatine think about using HMB aswell

hmb helps your body recover from training and helps with the repair of muscle tissue.

but above all use a good quality protein powder (whay protein is best).

protein is the most important part of your diet by far,try and eat 1gram of protein per 1lb of body weight per day.

train 3 or more times a week and you can't go far wrong.

for more info on supplimentation and training have a look at this forum and post some questions on there(all very willing to help)

www.wannabebigforums.com

[Edited by jonny gav - 7/19/2002 9:59:55 PM]
Old 19 July 2002, 10:16 PM
Langy
Scooby Regular

Glue? No, but yes, as most expensive protein supplements do not contain the correct ingredients to have much post workout affect i would stick to my statement and with the correct diet there is no need to waste money on such things. As i said, maximuscles cyclone is best for starting off as it contains 50gm biomax whey protein, 50gm dextrose, 10gm creatine monohydrade, 4gm glutamine, 3gm hmb and 500mg lipoic acid. All in all, the ultimate creatine mixture for uptake into the muscles and mass growth without the hassle and room for error there is when mixing various products together

[Edited by Langy - 7/19/2002 10:17:35 PM]
Old 19 July 2002, 11:05 PM
jonny gav
Scooby Regular

Talking

pro-hormones are ok if you want to grow breasts but as a man your body produces enough testosterone to promote muscle growth on its own(over production of testosterone leads to it turning to estrogen and causing fatty deposits behind the nipples,not good),the best supplement on the market IMHO is gaba.(helps your body produce more growth hormone)taken before bed it also helps you sleep better.
Old 19 July 2002, 11:46 PM
ChrisB

There's this forum called None Scooby...
Old 19 July 2002, 11:52 PM
RichiW
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I`ve had good results off creatine, same old story, you get what you pay for.Go for a well known brand

As has been said, the most important thing is a quality whey protein.

Second most is Sleep!

Dont froget to keep your body well hydrated too.

Rich
Old 20 July 2002, 10:36 AM
Stevethevet
Scooby Regular

I had really good results with creatine and practically none with HMB. Other mates at the gym though have had completely the opposite effects. Seems to depend on the individual.

If you want to grow muscle as has been said protein is the most important factor to consider, without that all the other supplements will not have their optimum effect. Prioritise protein (whey proteins are good) and then start thinking about the other supplements.

As has been mentioned it is the full package that is important though. Nutrition, training methods and rest. Get one bit wrong and the rest can fall to bits.
Old 20 July 2002, 10:39 AM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Creatine is good stuff. Works wonders for me..
Old 20 July 2002, 10:44 AM
MyDreamCar
Scooby Regular

Lots of ideas being banded around, but as a competitive body builder (entering first show in the 80Kg's at 5ft 5 this year)I would have to disagree with a few of them -
Milk Post workout is not a good option IMO - it contains milk sugar (lactose) which causes bloatedness and slowed digestion.

Around your workout (which should be an hour long at the most, 3 or 4 way split concentrating on big free weight exercises mainly) is one of the most important times for growth - 30 minutes before training take 70g maltodextrin in warm water - this provides carbs to replenish glycogen post training, immediately (5mins) B4 training, 10g Glutamine in warm water, immediately after your last set of the workout, 60g Whey isolate - in water. BOOM!!!!

Creatine is OK, I dont grow on it, I prefer to spend my money on protein powders, Glutamine and "Miscelaneous supplements" LOL.

Good luck, any sensible questions E-mail me!

Phil
Old 20 July 2002, 10:54 AM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Heh, I'm not a pro bodybuilder, I'm more of a body conditioner. I train not for mass but just to look good and be strong enough for martial arts. I can post a pic if you guys want to see what I'm talking about..
Old 20 July 2002, 11:44 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Go on then Katana. When u jumping in the Octagon?
Old 20 July 2002, 11:49 AM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Heh, the Octogan is full of people that trains 24/7. I on the other hand smoke 20 a day so my stamina would be used in the first 5 seconds of entering the octogan. This is not good, especially since I'm more conditioned to grappling.
Old 20 July 2002, 12:43 PM
sebastian
Scooby Regular

All those disgusting powdered food supps are an expensive waste of time:

You get all the nutrition, vitamins, essential fatty acids and protein you could possibly need form a normal balanced diet, just increse the portions when training. It also tastes a damn siight better too.

Old 20 July 2002, 12:48 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

I thought the whole idea of creatine is that it reduced your recovery time so you could train more often?
Old 20 July 2002, 12:53 PM
sebastian
Scooby Regular

Creatinine is eliminated as waste in the urine, so perhaps if it is so important for training we should all be drinking our p1ss and saving a fortune.
Old 20 July 2002, 04:47 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

basically am 14stone, canny fast 100m in under 14 now was 13 last year

Want to play rugby again but ideally 15-16st and more muscley train at moment 3times a week when in rugby it'll be 5+

Si