Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Origin blue location.

Search this Thread

Old 18 July 2002, 06:49 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Any ideas on where to fit this device. Has anyone routed the areial through the car to the back shelf.

Had mine yesterday. Seems like a really useful bit of kit.

Chip.
Old 18 July 2002, 07:12 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Errr Chip, what car have you got?

Great care is required when placing the aerial otherwise the Bluei won't work. Eg if your rear screen has heater elements in it you can say goodbye to good performance from the Bluei.

In my MY00 classic shape car I had the Bluei sat on top of the flip up dashboard cover, with the aerial sat behind it stuck on the dash.

In the STi I have removed the astray and passed the cables through the gap. The unit is sat in the space in fron of the ashtray and the aerial is on the dash directly behind the temperature sensor.

Hope this helps.

WB
Old 18 July 2002, 10:22 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

WB,
UK Sti, Got it just resting in front of the ashtray at the moment.Thinking of running the earial to the dash. Wheres the temp sensor then.
Just dont wont wires runing all over the place.

Chip
Old 18 July 2002, 11:38 PM
nigel s
Scooby Regular

I have just fitted mine in new age with the aerial next to a-pillar on the dash (drivers side)as close to screen as poss with the cable coming down the side of the dash behind behind the door seal. Unit is then fixed in front of electric mirror switch behind gear lever gaitor. I have then hiden the cables under the trans tunnel passenger side.
Nigel
Old 19 July 2002, 12:06 AM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

Fitted mine (MY00) top of the dash to the right of the instruments. The power lead and aerial lead were wrapped together in black tape and routed down between the right hand side of the dash.

The power lead is routed under the dashboard and re-appears to the left of the centre console and plugged in to the cig lighter.

I have taken the aerial lead down the side of the drivers seat, under the plastic on the edge of the dood sill, and positioned the aerial itself in the middle of the rear shelf. Works perfectly, no problems with reception, even with heater elements.

The unit is easy to view, without moving your eyes to far off the road and the wiring almost out of sight.

Hope this helps.

Dan
Old 19 July 2002, 01:12 AM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chip,

The temp sensor, IIRC, is the black dot you can see (size of a coat button) in the centre of the dash close to the windscreen. The Bluei is fine in the location I have put it, albeit that its not in my direct line of sight.

However don't find that a problem.

Getting it hard wired in tomorrow when the stereo goes in but it will be in the same location.

Cheers

WB
Old 19 July 2002, 06:10 AM
Cord
Scooby Regular

I've got mine in front of the ash tray (RB5) I mounted it with velcro on a strip of 2mm aluminium plate that fits snugly into the gap under the ashtray then bends down at about 40degrees and on a slight angle so that it is pointing at the driver. All the wires go under the plate then under the ashtray into the dash. The aerial is mounted in the corner of the dash/widscreen/A pillar. I put it here cos I found I got problems locking on to satelites when it was in the middle of dash and I had the windscreen wipers running. The wires for the aerial are just tucked under the foam strip between the edge of the dash and the door seal. The strip of Aluminium just slides under the ashtray and is held in place with some more velcro, it looks reasonable tidy and can all be removed dead easy. If my explanation makes no sense I will get some picks if you want.

Trending Topics

Old 19 July 2002, 09:20 AM
Steve 555
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi all,

My unit is mounted in front of the ashtry using velcro. The wiring is hardwired and dissapears under \ behind the ashtray so can still tse the lighter socket for charging my phone.

The antenna also appears from under \ behind the ashtray and is mounted (by velcro) UNDERNEATH \ BEHIND the plastic dash clock assembly totally out of sight . Reception is no problem I continually get 8 - 10 - 12 sats and it locks on quite quickly.

Steve
STi7
Old 19 July 2002, 01:03 PM
King RA
BANNED

I've mounted mine smack bang on the top of my dashboard. The wires are then routed along the front windscreen and down the left hand side of the car, and wrapped up and taped to the big bar above the glove box. I have hard wired it behind the stereo to the same wire that its on (stereo). The ariel is on the dashboard tucked up right against the front windscreen. My back window has reflective tint so the plod can't see I have it anyway even though its in a pretty obvious place (I know they're not illegal but you know what the old bill is like ).