Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Consumer help/info required

Search this Thread

Old 16 July 2002, 01:32 PM
scooby nutter
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Ok,We bought a Fridge freezer from Comet on May 20th 2001,price £189.sent 1 years guarantee off in the post.
Now June 18th 2002 the fridge develops a fault causing it to make a hole/melt the back panel of the fridge(inside fridge)
it must have been a bit of a bang because there are black charred bits splattered around fridge!
amazingly the fridge/freezer still works.(defrost element blown)

i phoned WHIRLPOOL up and they sent a engineer who said it couldnt be fixed and i needed a new fridge.As a "Goodwill"gesture they agreed to give us a new fridge for a £30 charge which we paid by card.Now 2 weeks pass so we phone them up."Oh the fridge we were going to give you is out of stock and we wont have anymore until August"!..."But what we can do is supply you with a slightly better model for a extra £80"!!!!
Now are these people trying to have me over?
Does anyone believe a huge company like whirlpool could be out of stock of a Fridge/freezer?The shops are full of there Fridges!

Could anyone who has been in this situation please give some help or advice to me on what i should do next.I have not agreed anything yet but have already paid £30 for a new exchange(same model) fridge/freezer.

Thanks
Duncan
Old 16 July 2002, 02:02 PM
Dirty_Den
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Talk to your local CAB, see if they have any suggestions.

Edited to say: Did you pay by credit or debit card? Having a word with your credit card company (as you have received no goods or service yet) may also bear fruit...

Failing that, try to find someone at Comet who gives a **** and have a tactful word, about how annoyed you are, and it might mean you decide not to buy stuff from Comet anymore

Den

[Edited by Dirty_Den - 7/16/2002 2:04:44 PM]

[Edited by Dirty_Den - 7/16/2002 2:05:23 PM]
Old 16 July 2002, 02:08 PM
bros2
Scooby Regular

Offer, acceptance, and consideration.

They've agreed to provide a fridge, and are now being entirely unreasonable in failing to provide this. Asking for an additional £80 is just silly.

Write a nice polite letter, stating all the facts, and send it to the customer services centre. Before you do, ring up, state your case, try to get a reference number and above all GET A FULL NAME.

You should get a positive response soon - if not, ring up the person to whom you addressed the letter and ask about it. Escalate as necessary and you'll eventually get what you want.

Bros
Old 16 July 2002, 02:17 PM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

no disrespect but it's out of guarantee so they are not obliged to do anything. I presume they say you can wait until the one you want comes in or take the upgrade. If you don't want to pay the £80 wait until the £30 one is in. Also worth checking out the upgraded model, it may cost more than £80 extra in the shops.

Dave
Old 16 July 2002, 08:06 PM
scooby nutter
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys for the ideas.
Den,paid by Switch

Phoned Whirlpool before and told them i would wait until they have stock.I also asked them to send a letter of confirmation that i would be getting a new unit(incase they try it on,).

Guess i will keep having to unplug it every night and when i'm at work for fear of it burning the house down!!

Duncan
Old 16 July 2002, 11:55 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

I would ask for a refund of the GBP30 until the replacement was available. Check the replacement model specification AND it's price (not list price but actual!!!) and decide if it looks a good deal. If so, then when, and only when the new one is ready, pay the GBP80.

I am sure there is some law about payment (and your GBP30 is a payment - not a deposit) before goods ship??

Good luck.

mb