Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

laser jammers, radar detectors question

Search this Thread

Old 16 July 2002, 11:56 AM
Kippax
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

....apart from not speeding, can someone explain this whole laser jammer, radar detector business to me.

whats the best thing to buy? can you actually detect a camera in advance?

sorry for the silly questions but i've never been interested before.

Stu.
Old 16 July 2002, 12:21 PM
Riftzone
Scooby Regular

Wink

Radar detector will detect gatsos & hand held radar guns (K band), mini gatso's (Ku band) and laser guns.

Laser guns can get yer speed within 0.3 of a second of bein pointed at and have a very thin beam which means once your detector picks up you've been hit by a laser gun, its too late. Thats why a lot of people use jammers - sends a signal back to the laser gun for a couple of seconds, giving you time to slow down.

Only get what you pay for - dont buy a cheap radar detector. Decent ones will pick up radar guns between 2 and 3 miles away, depending on conditions (get lots of radar scatter), gatsos about 200 metres away...
Old 16 July 2002, 12:29 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Lightbulb

IMHO get a laser jammer linked to a GPS device. Mobile radar is dying out and being replaced by more accurate laser and more fixed cameras are becoming non radar dependant. The GPS devices will detect all fixed positions and the jammer should catch mobile stuff too.

F
Old 16 July 2002, 01:04 PM
Scooby Regular

Where can you get a laser jammer linked to a GPS system ?

Can anyone help ?

Nils
Old 16 July 2002, 01:10 PM
sexy-blue-scoob
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Not sure...

But I think laser jamming devices aren't totally legal - somebody else might know more, but I'm fairly sure that interfering with law enforcement signals is frowned upon ??
Old 16 July 2002, 01:18 PM
King RA
BANNED

The raod angel GPS links up to the blinder M10 Twin Jammer (AKA Snooper 920). When I say it links up all it does is make the Road Angel beep/go red when there is a police laser gun 'attacking' your car instead of just making a noise with the supplied buzzer. The best choice to go for IMHO and also the package I have just purchased is the above mentined jammer + an origin blue i. I have researched all of the equipment available in detail and believe it to be the best combination and also the most future proof.
Old 16 July 2002, 01:23 PM
Scooby Regular

King RA

Are there any online suppliers selling the combination ?

What are the costs involved ?

Cheers

Nils

Trending Topics

Old 16 July 2002, 01:25 PM
ZAZ
Scooby Regular

Cool

Check out http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/ for all sorts of info on speed traps and detectors/jammers.
The legality of a jammer is the only reason I haven't got one although all they do is emit light which can't be illegal can it!?! As has been said before, if your going to get anything like this make sure you get a good product which may mean spending more but you get what you pay for.
I've got a Bel550 and Origin Blue, both good bits of kit although the Bel suffers from frequent K band false alerts caused by automatic doors on shops etc! Both bought from www.networxautomotive.com who may give you a discount if you mention Scoobynet. Dave Baxter is the guy to speak to.
Old 16 July 2002, 01:40 PM
King RA
BANNED

Do a search on "group buy" and "laser" there are currently 2 group buy's currently occuring 1 on the jammer and 1 on the origin blue. I managed to get my Blinder for £199.00 and my origin blue for £320, but they were a bit reluctant to give it to me for that price (origin) so you may not be so lucky. This was on Friday, the origin blue was from radarexpress.com and the jammer was from .... errm do a search and u will find the name.
Old 16 July 2002, 02:35 PM
Kippax
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Thankyou
Old 16 July 2002, 10:50 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

The Road Angel and M10 IMHO. I don't care if it's not legal because lets face it, speeding is illegal too!

Anyway, if they can't catch you speeding then you can't be accused of perverting the course of justice can you. Catch 22 in your favour.

I looked at the Origin i but I've read that some people have had problems and there were lots of returns. The Geo had posts on here with problems too (not getting a signal - may be down to sat dishes?). The Road Angel can double up as a Sat Nav device too and this makes it more cost effective.

F
Old 17 July 2002, 01:48 PM
King RA
BANNED

You say it doubles up as sat nav but you need a laptop for this to work, which for me means it doesn't double up as sat nav. I have recieved my origin blue i and installed it now. I must say I am very pleased with the result, locks onto 8 - 12 satellites in my area (N.W London) within a couple of minutes and gives v. accurate results of my local speed cameras. I cannot get the damn thing to update yet though, so it may need returning, but so what as long as it works in the end (as long as it doesn't take months). At the end of the day they all pretty much do the same thing, the reason I went for the origin is because it has an LCD display and the software can also be upgraded, so they may add more features to it as they invent them, something the others cannot do.
Old 17 July 2002, 08:56 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Wink

I updated mine for the first time and it did it first time as well! When you say that the Origin can be update with new software, isn't that what the update does anyway?

For a sat nav type thing you could use a PDA and stylishly selotape it to the dash for that factory fit look.

F
Old 18 July 2002, 08:07 AM
King RA
BANNED

When you update it, it gets an updated list of speed camera locations. On top of this it can update the software installed on the origin and add new features to it if they become available.
Old 18 July 2002, 08:18 AM
Steve 555
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

King RA,

In agreement with you all the way. I also have the blinder and Origin unit, great arn't they

I think you need to speak with Mark (I think) at Origin if your unit is not doing a download\upload. Mine dials in an does the do immediately

Good luck

Steve
Old 18 July 2002, 08:27 AM
King RA
BANNED

Steve 555,

Spoke to somebody yesterday and they're sending me a replacment modem. 1 question though, when you connect the modem to update it does it click (like all modems do as far as I'm aware) when it opens the connection to the phone line, because mine doesn't do that (doesn't do bugger all infact).

King RA.