Bloody Con Spam - Found Me Again!

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2002, 01:50 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Angry

I'm sure people are familliar with the type

"Sir, don't know you but I 'm sure you're of integrity but I have an Urgent business venture as I know of zillions in a bank account & need someone with a UK account to help me release it & I'll give you a percentage for your assistance"

& we all know its a complete & utter con & you'd get shafted if you even tried it

Anyhow, it used to only affect my .com email addy with 1 or 2 a week. I just got one today on my SIDC.co.uk account [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Aggh! I delete them as a matter of course but I try & keep that account spam free, but somehow the buggers have found it again

Anyone else had that problem or are they nicking addys from scoobynet?

Bah!

[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 14 July 2002, 01:52 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

snap!
Old 14 July 2002, 02:21 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Get a couple a week to my btinternet address. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 14 July 2002, 03:03 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Angry

Boom buddy

Same one

Is that you're profile mail?
Old 14 July 2002, 03:33 PM
RaZe-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

We get them at work, and we keep them as a laugh to read through. Its always better when its a letter, cos at least you get some interesting stamps, and some fof the guff they type is priceless

Oh, and Ive got $340000000 lying about in a bucket and need a bank account thats full of wad to access to put it in. Oh, and I might have to empty yours first, but dont worry, I'll give it back in a bit. Honest!

Buzz
From the office of Mr. G. Mwamamsangula, Nigerian Defence and Civil Authority

Old 14 July 2002, 04:35 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Puff,

yup, it was my profile address used here, and on the SIDC and 22B boards.

Surely the perpetrator must know that after insurance and petrol, Scooby drivers don't have any money left

mb
Old 14 July 2002, 08:15 PM
Aadvark69
Scooby Regular

I've got the fake Nigerian ones.

But even more annoying are the spam from Magicdata.co.uk

See my thread in Muppet forum.
Old 14 July 2002, 08:33 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Yep, it is in my profile..... Wouldn't want to lay any blame at Scoobynet's door, if I was a Nigerian scammer I'd find the Porsche or BWW bulletin boards first
Old 14 July 2002, 10:30 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Well, I reckon I must have got the only genuine Nigerian - he is going to use my account to transfer £500,000 and will leave £50,000 in my account when he has moved it out, its going to pay for my moving house!! Yipppeeee!! Its good isnt it?? All I had to do was to sign to allow him access and he will be ever so grateful!!

Pete
Old 14 July 2002, 11:09 PM
Tim Taylor
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I got one on my webmaster address this evening so they can only get that from my website. It started with...ahem..I quote:

I'm Prince femi kuti, a Director with the Union Bank of Nigeria (U.B.N) Plc

Prince who?!?!?!

Tim

[Edited by Tim Taylor - 7/14/2002 11:10:21 PM]
Old 14 July 2002, 11:49 PM
RichiW
Scooby Regular

Never post your e-mail address on a BBS, as webcrawlers pick them up and you WILL get spam.

Rich.
Old 15 July 2002, 08:12 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

The Nigerian ones are great - when I used to work for a bank in the city, we used to get similar things all the time! It was said the defrauding western people and business was a national industry in Nigeria. The banking authorities apparantly had evidence to suggest that it was even state sponsored and you could do the equivalent of an evening course in fraud!

It got so bad that any payment to or from Nigeria was immeadiately considered to be doubtful and would always be referred before payment was made.

The other one I've had recently at home is the letter promising you £40000 if you give £10 to the person who sent you the letter, add your name to the letter and mail it out to 200 more people -hmmmm and I've also got MUG printed across my forehead

Chris
Old 15 July 2002, 08:55 AM
RaZe-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

Thats a good one....hmmm..

Send me £1 and I'll let you into the secret "Way of the Buzz - How to make a pound using Soobynet" .......

Its a genuine %100 plan, with no risk. But if you dont send me the pound I cant tell you

*Prepares to be sent to the muppet forum for ever*

Old 15 July 2002, 10:56 AM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

http://www.crimes-of-persuasion.com/...s/nigerian.htm
Old 15 July 2002, 01:03 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

Razz,

I am very interested in your "Way of the Buzz" and have £1 sat here with YOUR name on it, just think what you could do with £1!

But I need your address to post it too or drop it in to you.

Please add your address

SPAM mail... don't start me on that...

At least my AOL account allow me to bar addresses...

JGM
Old 15 July 2002, 02:18 PM
RaZe-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

LOL JGM, there was a moment here when I almost believed you and made plans for my new shiny pound

Surely you mean you need my bank account details, log-ins, security answers and passwords etc so you can deposit the pound directly into my account...

And I trust you not to empty it

Buzz
Old 15 July 2002, 02:21 PM
RaZe-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

Oh, and just an explanantion on the name, cos Razz is a new one

RaZe is the name of the counter Strike clan I am in www.clanraze.co.uk , and Buzz is my on-line nickname thats easy to type and remember

Buzz
Old 15 July 2002, 02:35 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

LOL..

Sorry Buzz..

all the 'z's merged into one.. I got up at 4:30am to drive for 3hours to work this morning, that is my excuse and I am sticking to it...

Old 15 July 2002, 02:37 PM
RaZe-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

Thats a nasty commute if ever I heard of one!

But all is forgiven. Now, wheres my pound?
Old 15 July 2002, 02:43 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

Weekly comute at the moment..

Work dried up and ended up have to find something 200miles from home.. suppose to be a temporary measure.. 7months later I still have found something nearer home. Doh! hopefully the market should pick up soon..

Pound is waiting on your bank details, or address

Along with the other £2 in my account which could be yours Mr Buzz.... ............... ..............

JGM
Old 15 July 2002, 02:58 PM
JohnS

Wink

I've had quite a bit of fun with these people in the past few months. I was always getting the messages, and used to simply hit the delete button.

Now I have some standard replies which I send, in order to waste some of their time.

My record so far is 19 replies over a two week period, before the chap got fed up with me.

I replied sounding interested, and asked for more details. At the same time, I also offered him forged passports and free flights to anywhere in the UK on my private jet. I needed more prrof of identity though, and eventually got scanned copies of the guys passport, plus the various peices of documentation that they had secured for me.

When asked for address details, and telephone/fax numbers - I simply gave them the details of the local police HQ Much to my surprise, after about 10 e-mails, the chap replied to say he had tried to call me at the weekend (I can never call him as I don't have international dialling access), and was told it was a police station, and to call another number (yet another police station). To keep the fun going, I had to admit that I was a police officer (I'm not really), and even this didn't phase the guy in Nigeria.

It's amazing the crap you can tell these guys and they will believe you, as long as it looks like you are still keen on the deal. Throughout the e-mails, I offered the guy a Russian transporter plane to collect him and his family and take them to a UK airport, where we could conclude the deal. I reckoned the best airport was Scatsta (in the Shetland Isles), where the plane could land without much fuss from customs, and his family would be able to mingle anonymously with the local community

Eventually, he got around to asking for the money $32,000 to secure some other documents necessary. These had to be procured in Nigeria, before his departure to the UK I of course asked for an invoice, which took him two days to produce (and very genuine looking it was!). However, in this time I managed to persaude a local company to produce a fake invoice for me (in order to release the funds from the bank, without the tax man getting interested). Great confusion though - the secretary at the local company got it confused with a real order, and shipped the goods to Nigeria. I informed the chap that he would have to collect the goods (and pay the import duties), and then sell them on the open market in Nigeria to recover "our" money. He would be able to make about 200% profit on each itme sold.

The goods were the latest hi-tech ceramic under floor heating panels One panel uses a few MW of electricity, and a single panel can keep the harshness of the severest arctic winter out of a room at very low cost.

Needless to say, he wasn't impressed with his end of the bargain, despite my protestations that it was a fantastic deal for him

I've also had a replies to various other ones, which include travelling to Amsterdam to collect the funds from a security company etc.

Nowaday, I just have a standard reply, which explains that I run a property purchasing and leasing business called Grampian Pro Lease, which has the address, telephone and fax numbers of the local police HQ. I simply ask them to call/fax with more information (as it is of a secure and confidential nature!).

I am sure that if everyone who got these letters took a little time to waste some of "their" time, at the same time as you having a bit of fun, then their hit rates would drop dramatically.

Having done some research into the "problem", it seems like this is Nigeria's 3rd largest industry in terms of turn-over, and the gangs involved are raking in millions and millions every year across the country, and they are getting ever more sophisticated. The poor spelling and grammer in many of their e-mails is deliberate, and is to fool you into thinking that you are dealing with someone with low intelligence in Nigeria, who could be easily parted with their money. Many government officials, banking industry and even people in the police force are suspected to involved in the scams (due to their cut of the earnings), and hence the difficulty in eliminating them.

John
Old 15 July 2002, 04:01 PM
RaZe-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

wow - wish I was brave enough to do that John

JGM - £3 ? crikey, that was so easy Im suspicious its a scam to scam my "pound" scam.....must be a £3 coin :P

I'll have to start another one....erm...how abaout genuine bottled Monk dung from the far east? Will do wonders for.....erm....Baldness! HA! yes....and erm...its 100% naturally produced.

Comes beer scented too!

Only £1 a jar. But you'll have to wait till Ive finished the marmite for the first bacth to be "produced". Howm many you want JGM?
Old 15 July 2002, 04:09 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

If I send you a check for £1.01 your computer system will get confused and fail to issue a refund or add the jar of dung to your out post..

JGM
Old 15 July 2002, 04:16 PM
RaZe-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

DAMN! Maybe I should employ you at "Scams R Us" as technical troubleshooter then...

That would leave me free to concentrate on "produce"...
Old 15 July 2002, 04:24 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

But don't tell me you just need my bank details in order to put me on the payroll?

The thought or you with a jar producing is not a nice image..
especially in this heat!

JGM

[Edited by Jolly Green Monster 2 - 7/15/2002 4:33:20 PM]
Old 15 July 2002, 04:29 PM
RaZe-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

I'd reply but I can see you are much too clever for me
Old 15 July 2002, 04:33 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

but you did just reply

JGM
Old 15 July 2002, 04:40 PM
RaZe-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

See what I mean?

I'll send you that pound now, should I?

*drills out pound and puts special secret agent spy gear in it*
Old 15 July 2002, 07:08 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Cool

JohnS,

absolute classic

...although i guess that you must have pssied off your local police station

mb (looking forward to the IoM BB!)
Old 15 July 2002, 08:24 PM
Crapaud62
Scooby Regular

I have done a lot of research into these Nigerian scams as I work in Compliance/ Anti-Money laundering.

In all seriousness, I would advise against replying and wasting their time. Some american web sites have reported some Nigerians have exacted revenge against these time wasters. Some of these crooks are part of very well organised international crime groups. The revenge can vary from actual violence arranged through contacts in your home country to framing you as being involved in the crime and blackmail. Just be careful of what you are getting into.

Quick Reply: Bloody Con Spam - Found Me Again!