Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Teeth problems

Search this Thread

Old 09 July 2002, 07:23 PM
Karlos Fandango
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Probably the thing of nightmares but if you have really weak teeth, other than having them all whipped out and getting false ones what are the other alternatives?? I've heard of caps and crowns but what are they and how much would a set of them cost?

Cheers

Karl
Old 09 July 2002, 09:03 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

i had mine done about 6 months ago........never looked back.

handsome eh!
Old 10 July 2002, 03:05 AM
JohnMcC
Scooby Regular

Do you mean weak as in not very secure (ie more likel gum problems than actually a tooth problem)? Or weak as in thin enamel and sensitivity etc...?

I presume you mean the latter - a problem I have too - in the future I am going to have to go through the trauma of caps, crowns, implants etc... Ive had one cap already actually (due to someones fist though, not weak enamel - broke the bottom half off and exposed the nerve - god job I was off my trolley because I never felt a thing - till the next morning....), and to be honest it wasnt a very traumatic ecperience. And I often have to think twice about which one it is, so good was the job.

But in the meantime there are some things that will prolong the life of your teeth. For example, I have the backs of my front four top teeth backed in metal to protect the enamel. I also have something (don't ask me what!!!) 'painted' onto the biting surface of some of my molars, again due to thin enamel, sensitivity etc...

These kinds of solutions wont solve the problem but they will prolong the life of the tooth. You may as well look at that kind of thing for now - there is no point in ruining a tooth forever by chopping out the nerve, filing it down and wacking a cap,crown etc on if it can be patched up and last longer. Thats the way I see it anyway!

My girlfriend is studying to be a denstist, she is just finishing her fourth year of five next week, so next time I speak to her Ill try and ask her about what things can be done and cost (which, I expect, will vary from case to case).

Old 10 July 2002, 09:53 AM
Karlos Fandango
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the help. The dentist says that my roots are 7mm shorter than average and I have very weak enamel (hereditory), so have to be careful of what I can and can't eat.

Its getting to the stage where i'm having to have fillings filled which is a nightmare. Any info is greatly received.

Karl
Old 07 October 2002, 05:38 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Karl,

Can't help with the teeth problem - just a comment on your user Name - how's the wheels ?

Jase

[Edited by jasey - 7/10/2002 5:39:22 PM]
Old 07 October 2002, 10:23 PM
SilverSmith
Scooby Regular

Hang on till your GF qualifies then get her to do it for free

Just been to dentist today with a broken tooth and I have two options, a)£24 to pull it out b)a whacking £295 to have it crowned

Anyone know a good carpenter ???

Had another crowned before due to an accident with a dog (well a stick thrown for a dog actually )
that has been fine for years, no trouble, no rot, looks OK.

SS

Edited cos of bad spelling !

[Edited by SilverSmith - 7/10/2002 10:25:32 PM]