Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does anyone have any experience with this product, thinking of purchasing it
Old 07 July 2002, 12:29 PM
Rob D
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Subster,

I'm also looking to buy this and currently there is a group buy on from Radarexpress at £349, have a look Here

For a review have a look at ukspeedtraps

Cheers,

Rob.

[Edited by Rob D - 7/7/2002 12:30:38 PM]
Old 07 July 2002, 02:53 PM
well hung
Scooby Regular

Personally mate i wouldnt bother! Unlike a snooper which detects speed traps etc, this works by global satelites so if there is a new camera thats only been there for a few days then you wont find out about it until some poor b*****d has been done. It works via a database so mobile cameras that are moved daily will never be found. Buy a snooper or something similar, a third of the price and far better!
Cheers Ad.
Old 07 July 2002, 03:11 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Anything that is a third of this price will be a waste of space - you need to spend similar money on a radar/laser detector for it to be any good. Both systems then have pros and cons and are infact quite complimentary to each other if you can afford both.
Of the GPS systems available - Morpheus/i-Blue/Road Angel - Road Angel looks the best on paper - maybe some owners may like to comment..??
Old 08 July 2002, 02:26 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Had an Origin Blue-i for a couple of days. A bit over-complicated, but worked fine. Unfortunately, too bulky and imposible to fit neatly/remove quickly or easily.

Swapped to Road Angel. Works a treat. Much simpler and easy to use. Just sits on the dash no probs.

I also think that Road Angel have thought the whole thing through better and will win the battle of 'who's got the best data-base'.

Richard.
Old 08 July 2002, 10:38 AM
HunterB
Scooby Regular

I've been using a Road Angel for about two weeks now and rate it very highly. I've used Snoopers for years but I've found the Road Angel to be more useful. Very impressed that it also has local blackspots programmed into the database (i.e. no cameras about, but a potentially dangerous junction or blind brow where collisions have happened in the past - information presumably obtained from local councils or police). This, plus the ability to enter your own favourite blackspots (e.g. known places where police cars regularly hide) sold me on it. It's also reassuring to have an accurate readout of actual speed all the time. Definitely a
Old 23 July 2002, 01:05 AM
badgerbell
Scooby Regular

Question

Considering getting one
How big are these compared to others?, read previously there twice as big, which means they'll stick out like a sore thumb
Where's the best position for it and wired to what?

Oh, and wheres the cheapest place to get one

Cheers
Davy
Old 23 July 2002, 01:46 PM
HunterB
Scooby Regular

Approx 120mm deep, 88mm wide, 35mm high. See http://www.blackspot.co.uk for technical spec. I bought mine direct from them, don't know who does them cheaper/est. Mine sits in the centre of the dashboard, plugged into cigar lighter. Not obtrusive, about the size of a big radar detector. Kit comes with straight and curly power leads with cigar lighter plugs, bracket and suckers for windscreen mounting, velcro-type stuff and non-slip dash mat for dashtop mounting, power supply and serial PC connection for updates. Software CD provided after they receive your registration.
Old 23 July 2002, 04:19 PM
steve jackson
Scooby Regular

Cool

I bought two of them, and got extra discount to what they are on the group buy, i agree totaly with the threads above great bit of kit!!

no connection just a satisfied customer

Sj
Old 23 July 2002, 11:56 PM
King RA
BANNED

I bought an origin blue i, which with its bigger LCD screen and updatable software provides the greatest future proofability. The only thing better about the road angel is the ability to link it to a laptop and use it for navigation, but if you don't have a laptop/palm e.t.c it's useless.
Old 24 July 2002, 06:29 AM
RB5#295
Scooby Regular

I've had a Geodesy since January. It's a good bit of kit (and smaller) and they have just mailed me to say they have launched a radar detecting add-on, but because it knows how fast you're going it doesn't bother you with all the door openers down the High Street. Not buying it though...
Old 24 July 2002, 06:32 AM
King RA
BANNED

radar detectors are ****, period. It takes 0.3 seconds for a police laser to detect your speed, so ANY radar detector is just notification that you have already been caught. In this situation you need a radar JAMMER i.e snooper 920/ Blinder M10.
Old 24 July 2002, 06:45 AM
Little Miss WRX

I would have to agree with King, radar detectors are only good for alerting of an impending NIP through the post if you have been speeding over the set limit for the area you are travelling through.
Old 24 July 2002, 11:50 AM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Talking

You seem to confuse Radar and Laser. A decent radar detector should offer enough warning for a Gatso type device and not too many false alarms. Laser detection is of less use for the reason stated but still handy in traffic as you can pick up scattering off cars in front. IMHO this is still better than nothing which is all a GPS system can really offer in terms of mobile laser traps. If you use the same roads a lot but there tend to be police mobile traps out and about a detector is probably best If you travel all around the country on unfamilair roads GPS is probably best A GPS system can also warn of SPECS systems which are undetectable but as there are only 3 or so locations in the country you shouldn't need a box of electronics to remember where these all are!
Old 24 July 2002, 05:31 PM
H7
Scooby Regular

Neither radar nor laser detectors will pick up Truvelos because they're operated by piezo strips in the road. The GPS devices have them logged in their databases though. Road Angel has a 12v out port which, I've heard, could be used to fire a jammer. Now that could be useful
Old 24 July 2002, 08:34 PM
King RA
BANNED

yes sorry i did mean laser earlier not radar. The best combination IMO is a GPS system AND a jammer, your pretty much covered with all of this and most importantly, also IMO is the fact false warnings will be nil.