Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Oakleys/Ray Bans $50 including shipping - too good to be true?

Search this Thread

Old 07 May 2002, 01:34 PM
beefola
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would stay well clear of these if I were you. I used to order and sell Oakleys at a surf shop, and Oakley simply DO NOT give discounts to punters. The guys are quoting 30-90 days delivery time, well I can guarantee that Oakley will have that site shut down before then. So you send your money and.............nowt.
Plus Oakleys are all imprinted with a serial number (especially the X-Metals), and Oakley won't fix any that they don't know the number of. Plus, how the hell can they sell the X-Metal/Ruby Juliets for £35?!?!? I paid £265 here! It looks dodgier than Mr. Dodge driving his Dodge into a game of dodgeball to me.
Beef

[Edited by beefola - 7/5/2002 1:35:26 PM]
Old 05 July 2002, 11:48 AM
SeanG
Scooby Regular

Question

Anyone used these guys? http://www.rayban-sunglasses-oakley.com/oakley_store
Are are they kosher?
Old 05 July 2002, 11:54 AM
father_jack
Scooby Regular

Impressive if true - $50 for almost every type

Pasted from the site:

HOW CAN IT BEE?

We are asked the same question over and over again: how can we sell Ray-Ban and Oakley sunglasses for 50.00 US$? Well, there are no secrets about it. We are looking all over the world for businesses that went bankrupt or have sunglasses on sale. Sometimes we buy them in India, sometimes in Japan, Brazil.. anywhere we can make a good deal. We buy them cheap and we sell them cheap.

2. DELAYED DELIVERY

This is the part of our offer that you will not like. We need 30 - 90 days for delivery. Usually your sunglasses will come to you in one month period (if we have model that you are ordering on stock), but you have to allow us up to 90 days for delivery. We are sorry about that and will be as fast as possible.

Old 05 July 2002, 11:59 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Cant see it myself unless they are damaged or dodgy copies (Ive seen em sold in the US in the same cabinet for same price). Oakley are very strict on pricing and take action against anyone not following their pricing structure.

Only discount Ive managed on RRP is 20% but only as my bro works in a surf shop and gets them at trade price.

Simon.
Old 05 July 2002, 01:44 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im with beefstyle on this one, he speaks the truth.

I too worked in a place that sold oakleys, the mark up is basically 100percent. so there is no way these guys can flog em like this.

and I would nt be sending my money to some shady company abroad either........
Old 05 July 2002, 05:41 PM
Luke
BANNED

Sorry but at the end of the day anyone that spends stupid money on any Oaleys from any shop must be mad... None of them are worth over £100. If you want top spec and class then Its "Persol" or
" Randolf engineering" Oakeys are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy over priced.
Old 05 July 2002, 06:35 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Says you. I love my Oakleys. Lenses are great, frame is so light I dont know they are on top of my head. Oakley fix em even if you break em by doing something stupid. And at the end of the day they look great.

If they are so overpriced then why are they so popular - price a product at what you expect to sell it at.

Trending Topics

Old 05 July 2002, 07:21 PM
beefola
Scooby Regular

Okay Luke, if you really want me to explain why Oakleys are worth the money I will, after all i did write the Oakley training manual now used by The Blacks Group.
Short answer: the lenses.
Long answer: the lenses in Oakleys are the most technically advanced of any glasses, the frames, especially the x-metals are incredibly strong, and they can withstand a shotgun blast from 10ft away. Now yes, you may say what good is that? but when you're mountain biking down Snowdon at 35mph and a rock flicks up and hits you in the glasses, you're damn glad they're Oakleys. The x-metal frames are an alloy of 12 different metals, and are shot with gamma radiation before forming to remove any air bubbles which makes them incredibly strong. I could go on, but i'm bored, as i'm sure are you. Yes, there is a hell of a mark up on them, but have you ever seen the Oakley development centre in California? Its huge, and they spend millions of dollars in development. So there.
Beef
Old 05 July 2002, 07:40 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Lol beef - + they sound cool rather than sounding like a common brand of washing powder
Old 05 July 2002, 07:53 PM
Luke
BANNED

Beef .some very ggod points.... (Blacks ,I was first manager of "Cotswolds" when they moved to London many years ago)

But despite all this... they are like "Nike" trainers... they cost far more than they should... people buy into a "lifestyle" same as oakeys.... "Revo" and "Persol" make better lenses as far as I'm concerned.. Also a different kind of person wears them!!

Dont believe all the top sport stars would wear Nikes etc if they were not been paid to. "Asics" etc are far better

I am not going to be stupid and say "Oakeys are not good" but they are not as good as their price...

"Welcome to the world of Marketing"!!!!!!
Old 05 July 2002, 11:05 PM
yoza
BANNED

Unhappy

Blag,replicas,copies,immatation,lookalike,fake,blo use,........
no way for 40 odd squid.
anyone want to buy a Rolex for a tenner real honest
Old 06 July 2002, 12:40 AM
smokinscoobie
Scooby Regular

Simon

so whats the deal with getting broken oakleys fixed i've got a pair were the frame has cracked through so the arm drops out of its location. Do you just go down your local oakley dealer?
Old 06 July 2002, 12:54 AM
Tarty!
Scooby Regular

Location: 11,000 posts in 30 days!!! - Bloody muppety post whore!
I need some rubber arm bits for my old e-wires.

Where's the best place to get them?

Who can help in the UK?
Old 06 July 2002, 03:19 AM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Cool

I fly for a living and wear Randolf aviators on the flightdeck. They knock the pants off Oakleys for resolution and general all-round good-sunglasses-ness The best thing is I buy my Randolfs for about £14 from US Forces shops; beats the £75 they want in the UK. At that price I can throw them away when they get grubby and buy a new set

I've had 8 different pairs of Oakleys over the last few years and rate them as good driving/casual sunglasses. They are good but all the "iridium" and "gamma radiation" stuff is a load of marketing guff.
The mark-ups on Oakleys are huge and the trade massively on their name (and good luck to 'em!). I only ever buy them in the States and only then in US Forces shops. Wires are about $100 US or thereabouts.

PS. Broken Oakleys? I broke 2 pairs of Frogskins, sent them to Oakley USA with a covering letter, received 2 brand new pairs, free, in the post 2 weeks later. You cannot fault their customer services set up
Old 06 July 2002, 10:34 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Paul/Tarty - I think you had to register the warranty with the black card you get in the box when you buy a pair but going on other peoples expereinces they will probably still help you even if you havent. Just ring the number up on that or go to their website and find the UK customer service number.
Old 06 July 2002, 11:18 AM
smokinscoobie
Scooby Regular

Broken Oakleys

I guess i must have filled out the warranty card when i got them but can't be sure, i've just found the receipt and there approaching 3 years old so out of warranty anyway. But from peoples experience on here the age doesn't seem to be an issue?
Old 06 July 2002, 11:50 AM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Never filled out a warranty card and the glasses were a good few years old. I sent mine to the states, not the UK although friends have had success with the UK office.
Old 06 July 2002, 01:18 PM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

I must admit that I prefer Persol as well...some of the others are like XR3's im my opinion. All show and no go

Nath
Old 06 July 2002, 01:22 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

As for the price, it helps with exclusivity. I paid £219 for my Juliets and have yet to see many other people (F1 drivers apart) with them.

Did you know that the way to tell a fake Rolex is the movement of the second hand. It glides on genuine whereas on fakes it has a stop start stop motion.

Richard
Old 06 July 2002, 01:36 PM
smokinscoobie
Scooby Regular

Simon H

So you just post them to the US address on the web site, covering letter included and wait for the replacement pair with no problems?
Old 06 July 2002, 09:51 PM
Luke
BANNED

Richard

I'm all for a bit of debate!!!

The "Fake Rolex" thread was done a long time ago. I would re word it to... "Some of the fake Rolexes.." I have seen the very best in the world and many would pass as real.
One of my clients works for the worlds largest company who fight these "Fake companies" in court or out....... (Its amazing what you can do with $100.000 and a few friendly army officers in some countries.. Its quicker than court and cheaper!!

So next time you buy your brake pads..... Cd's..... medicine The list goes on. I have also seen The best "Oakeys" IMPOSSIBLE TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE. Think if they are big sellers the "Fake Boys" will be on to it.
Old 07 July 2002, 01:40 AM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Wink

smokinscoobie

Yup, I just sent to mine to the address (customer relations or something like that) that I found on the Oakley website.
Old 07 July 2002, 10:49 AM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Luke

I have no ****ing Clue what you're on about. If you don't want to buy Oakleys then don't. If I want to be "mad for paying over £100 for a set" then leave me to my ignorance.

Of course there will be better fakes than others. Its a lucrative market FFS! WTF are you going on about Cd's Brake Pads and medicine for.

Richard
Old 07 July 2002, 02:27 PM
Luke
BANNED

Richard... Good and fair point... Its your money. The CD,brake thing... Think you buy the best and get the best?????? The amount of dealers who sell fake parts (some know ,some dont that they are fake) "Mintex" "Ferrodo" even "Pagid"..The market is HUGE...

But as we are talking about peole getting ripped of by these guys selling cheap "oakeys" we are also able to metion that "Oakeys" are ripping you off with all their marketing.

Good and fair point.

Luke (Persol... Better and classy!!)

[Edited by Luke - 7/7/2002 2:54:56 PM]
Old 07 July 2002, 06:57 PM
beefola
Scooby Regular

For broken Oakley's, find your local Free Spirit store (bluewater, sheffield, manchester trafford centre, solihull etc...) and they'll give you a free post box given to them by Oakley for such an occasion. They are really good and will usually send a new pair. Hope this is of help. I think Sunglasses Hut may have the boxes too.
Beef
Old 07 July 2002, 11:21 PM
Luke
BANNED

"Sunglass Hut" fantastic customer care and knowledge.Pity most Uk companies dont follow with that level of customer care.
Old 08 July 2002, 11:43 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

I for one have seen a lot of fake Oakleys and never one that really cuts the mustard. Even if they did look identical Im sure the packaging box, soft carry bag and warranty cards would either be missing or nothing like the real thing so quite easy to spot.

As for exclusitivity, that swings both ways. Some people will buy things purely to be different whether it be better or not.

At the end of the day if Oakley were doing something wrong then they would not be where they are. Some people on Scoobynet love the P1 others love the Evo 6 - it doesnt mean either are better/worse its just personal preference based on a range of attributes that each product offers.

Simon.