Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

British Grand Prix - boring, boring, boring

Search this Thread

Old 05 July 2002, 10:02 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

As long as i know the result of the first lap, and the result of the last lap, what else is there to know?

Why queue for hours to get ripped off to get into Silverstone, get ripped off on the price of food and drink, to watch Mr Schumacher doing 70 odd parade laps ahead of 20 or so other faceless drivers, with only a fleeting glimpse of them as they rush past, to queue again to get out of the circuit?

As a huge car enthusiast, F1 is one sport i can't get my head around. Arrows might not even be there this weekend due to the soaring costs. So what does that prove? That Ferrari and Mercedes have botomless pockets to finance these jollies.

If there's ever another exciting F1 race, will somebody please let me know? And if anyone discovers an F1 driver with a personality, i'd be quite interested to see that too....

Terry
Old 05 July 2002, 10:15 AM
Pete_UK99
Scooby Regular

Totally agree with you, go to Donington next week and watch Motogp, far more intense. Although saying that Rossi's getting a bit predictable.
Old 05 July 2002, 10:17 AM
paulr
Scooby Regular

All Grand Prix's........ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

....havent watched one for over 2 years.
Old 05 July 2002, 11:26 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Yep, it has lost it's appeal for me, i see that Sky are advertising a package where you can get the last 7 or is it 8 GP's for £ 50.00, usually £13.00(i think) per GP so they may be struggling for revinue, i would hazard a guess that it may be because the title is pretty much a done deal and people are not prepared to pay tor all the 'whistles and bells' when you can watch the precession on itv for nought.
Old 05 July 2002, 11:27 AM
father_jack
Scooby Regular

Pete - the bikes are better - but you still can't get anywhere near the circuit for a decent view cos Mr & Mrs deckchair have been there since 6 a.m. - the campsite is the best bit (or used to be) lots of burnouts, kill switch backfires, moped destruction, burnt out transits etc. I hope its still the same. Last time we just went for the practice session and the camping and ****** off to watch it on telly in the pub.
Old 05 July 2002, 11:39 AM
Pete_UK99
Scooby Regular

Yeah Donington is probably one of the worst tracks for spectators. Luckily I get good passes that allow me on the pit lane which makes it even more fun. But the simple fact is bikes are smaller so there's more overtaking and there's also a much higher risk of crashingv which lets face it makes for a good race.
Old 05 July 2002, 12:39 PM
Olly
Scooby Regular

I went a couple of years ago as a guest.

Best bits were getting ratted at someone elses expense, and the Red Arrows.

It was good of Schumacher to liven things up by breaking a leg (not that we saw it), but apart from that it was a thoroughly boring experience. Can't tell you who won: I jumped in the car and went home halfway through.

I believe people actually PAY MONEY to go to Silverstone and see the Grand Prix live. Unbelievable.
Old 05 July 2002, 12:50 PM
Dirty_Den
Scooby Regular

Cool

I'd much rather spend a fraction of the money required to see the GP and goto the GB Rally instead, like I did last year. You can get much closer to the action and there's a great atmosphere as well.

Den
Old 05 July 2002, 01:11 PM
kryten
Scooby Regular

My brother is a lucky sod and won his company's sales award last month.

Hence he gets a freebie to silverstone with full corporate hospitality, pit lane access and a helicopter there and back

Now _that's_ the way to see the GP
Old 05 July 2002, 01:17 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

i was at silverstone when schuy bust his legs, and i can assure you that being 200 yrads from the spot did not make the day any more enjoyable- load of cack.

on contrast i was at brands the yr before when foggy was in WSB- hearing 120,000 all roar when he came down paddock hill was something else!!!

T

ps- also haga stopped in front of us to do some burnouts afterwards, in contrast i think eddie irvine lifted a finger off his wheel at one point- not sure, he could have been stretching it?
Old 05 July 2002, 01:47 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yep,

I love cars, motorsport, grown up with them entirely, though I never totally got into F1...

Not sure if its just too long, or too unatainable or what but Im just not keen. the start is good - action, and them Ill watch the end to find out whats going on, but otther than that I just dont care that much.

ap
Old 05 July 2002, 02:06 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

there's only one place to watch racing at Donnington and thats the Craner Curves, anywhere else is ****e.

THE worst place for spectating is Oulton Park, you can see about 2 inches of track wherever you stand
Old 05 July 2002, 02:53 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

My bro is a mechanic for Jaguar,on race day he operates one of the wheel nut guns, for the pit stops.

Still boring though.