Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

still think dogs aren't dangerous?

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2002, 10:05 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Buck, What a load of stereotypical tosh - on the same note, why dont we get rid of badly behaved children - like the ones that constantly ride their bikes into my car. After all, children must ALL be like this

And while we are at it, why not do away with old people as well, as they ALL drive badly.

And why not ban drugs alcohol and ciggies as they turn people into maniacs

Get a grip badly treated dogs can become dangerous, but have to disagree with your post title.

All IMHO of course.

DW

[Edited by Dream Weaver - 7/1/2002 10:05:29 PM]
Old 07 February 2002, 10:51 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Diablo

Thanks for saying all that, it saved me the effort

As the owner of two Staffies I agree wholeheartedly with Diablo. My 14 year old male has never given me any reason to be concerned by his behaviour, he has only shown any sort of aggression twice and that was to other dogs; a black Labrador that attacked him for no reason and a Poodle that jumped on him from behind (he didn't even know it was there) and sunk it's teeth into his neck. On both occasions I was able to pull him away (bleeding) from the fight.

My bitch at 8 months old is only a pup still and loves people especially kids although she is never allowed to play unsupervised with them. She is also good with other dogs, my mate has a Jack Russell which breaks into my garden and 'attacks' my female Staffie regularly, the Jack Russell hangs off my Staffy's cheeks and ears and bites her constantly but my Staff never hurts her back or loses her temper with her, in fact she's extremely gentle. She tolerates this behaviour for ages and not once have I ever had to separate them due to my dog's aggression although I do have to take the Jack Russell away for it's aggressive behaviour.

It grieves me as much as anyone to see kids being attacked by dogs and I as a responsible dog owning adult make a serious effort to ensure that my dogs are never responsible for such an attack.

Sal.

[Edited by scoobychick - 7/2/2002 11:06:35 AM]
Old 07 February 2002, 01:07 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Arrow

There are many good websites around at the moment, looking into BSL (Breed Specific Legislation). Take a look at this to see what I mean.

While we're on the subject, a few stats for you:

In the UK in the 1970s, the breeds responsible for the largest number of attacks were the German Shepherd, the Collie and the Cocker Spaniel. Why? Because they were the most popoular breeds at the time. The most recent stats focus heavily on Rottweiller's, pit bulls etc for the exact same reason - they are the most popular dogs of the moment.

Incidently, insurance companies also include, the Husky, German Shepherd and Great Dane as 'high risk dogs'

Stats in America have revealed that since the 70's, fatal attacks have been carried out by more than 30 different breeds of dog, including Yorkshire Terrier's, Labrador's and Dachshund's. Shall we ban them aswell?

So much of this is down to sensationalistic journalism. A lot of this just make a good story. What happened to that little girl was truely awful, but you can't tar all owners with the same brush, even more than you can't tar all drivers of a particular make of car as good or bad.

Chris

[Edited by Chris L - 7/2/2002 1:08:37 PM]
Old 07 February 2002, 01:11 PM
image doctor
Scooby Regular

I wonder how many people who have owned dogs have said

"it has never done anything like this before, it loves kids etc"

....after attacking someone?

I am not having a go at anyone, just an observation.

[Edited by image doctor - 7/2/2002 1:19:38 PM]
Old 07 February 2002, 01:25 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Arrow

reference the how many owners have commented that their dog has never done that before post

Who knows...

I wonder how many parents have said similar things about their recently prosecued murderers/rapists/thugs.

Tell you what, lets ban children, cos they might grow up to be bad

Actually, I'm all in favour of some form of legislation on those lines, but its not a popular call, so I'll shut up now

Interestingly enough, Morethan.com do NOT class Rotties as a high risk breed.

And what is the relevance of keeping a fox in your home or not

D

[Edited by Diablo - 7/2/2002 1:26:36 PM]
Old 07 March 2002, 03:13 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Wink

"Dogs aren't dangerous" I have it in print dudes.
General Woundwort says it in "Watership Down"
So that's the end of this thread.....unless, of course, you know different?

[Edited by alcazar - 7/3/2002 6:03:55 PM]
Old 07 April 2002, 11:47 AM
juan
Scooby Regular

Scoobychick,

I was referring to pslewis actually.

You have a correct and resposnsible attitude.

I have scanned through the first page or so again and the point I was trying to make is that comments like the following are wide of the mark:

The OWNERS are dangerous NOT the dogs!!
My dog is walked OFF lead and is under TOTAL voice command
treat a dog well and it will be a faithful companion
With the correct training they are no more dangerous than any other domesticated animal.
But all teh dog is doing is responding how its been trained to
In 99% of cases they may be so but ANY dog 'could' lose it and turn into a maimer, regardless of hows its been treated or how well trained it is. These people just can't seem to accept that.

I'm an animal lover. Just wish people would accept that it 'can' happen to any dog, regardless of hows its treated. Sure the badly treated ones are going to be higher candidates.

Not having a dig at you in the slightest scoobychick.

[Edited by juan - 7/4/2002 11:47:50 AM]
Old 07 April 2002, 12:15 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Juan,

I agree with some of what you have said. Yes, any dog may turn. But because of that it is the owners responsibility to make sure that situation cannot happen.

If a dog turns on its owner there are a couple of primiary reasons.

The first is pain or illness (Parents had a Setter which developed a brain tumour and bit my mothers hand). The second is mistreatment when the dog has enough.

BUT, dogs do not just turn for no reason. Ever.

D

[Edited by Diablo - 7/4/2002 12:19:08 PM]
Old 07 June 2002, 05:04 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Blimey Pete - quite a story!

It just re-enforces what a lot of people have been saying. You have to take a responsible attitude as a dog owner. I would be quite in favour of some form of license scheme (for the owner, not the dog), if I thought that it would be policed correctly and enforced. I'm not sure it could be, as this costs money and takes time and effort. The easy way out is to give into the press hysteria and ban certain breeds of dogs. That is about a useful as putting an electronic 155mph speed limit on some high performance cars!!

Who's to say what makes a 'dangerous dog'? The pit bull / bull-terrier tend to get a bad press because of their strength. The pressure that they can exert using their jaws is nearly twice that of 'big breed' dogs such the Rottweiller. When a bull terrier gets into a fight, it isn't a pretty sight and for that reason they are often perceived as agressive. As Sal has said, the most agressive dog that she's ever come across was a Poodle!

PS thanks for the comments about Scooby

Chris

[Edited by Chris L - 7/6/2002 5:08:28 PM]
Old 01 July 2002, 08:02 PM
uncle buck
Scooby Regular

Angry

check 4 x 4 on BBC2 - you'll soon change your mind [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 01 July 2002, 08:07 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The OWNERS are dangerous NOT the dogs!!

I have a German Shepherd Alsation and it would attack if a ****** broke into the house - my opinion? GOOD!!

My dog is walked OFF lead and is under TOTAL voice command - MUCH safer than a spiteful Chiwowwa

Pete
Old 01 July 2002, 08:10 PM
uncle buck
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

what if the '******' was a four year old girl? Is that good too?

You didn't see the programme obviously.

Old 01 July 2002, 08:12 PM
ChrisB

What's a 4 year old girl doing breaking into Pete's house?
Mog
Scooby Regular

Uncle Buck ...I think you should look at the owners before putting posts like this up, also this was a thread that was done quite recently.

Mog
uncle buck
Scooby Regular

she may have just innocently wandered in...

it does happen.
Old 01 July 2002, 08:13 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

M8 - crossing the road is f*cking dangerous. Some ***** driving cars are dangerous. Going out into town on Sat night is dangerous.
Give dogs a break. If you have a problem with a specific dog or breed take it up with the owners.
Don't whine on the BBS everytime you see another devil dog story.
Why don'y you talk about the gits that jump on peoples heads, rape women, murder children or terrorise old people. Is it cause the dogs can't answer back.
Rant over.
Alasdair
PS And I got bitten by my budgie once - Devil budgie, kill all birds.
Old 01 July 2002, 08:16 PM
PopeyeP1
Scooby Regular

Red face

On a serious note its the bloody owners who treat their dogs like ****e which turns them vicious!!!! Ok there's the odd rogue dog that has a nasty streak.
Moral of story-treat a dog well and it will be a faithful companion. Treat it bad and it will be!

Pops-speaking sense as usual
Old 01 July 2002, 08:16 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Question

Cant think of many 4 year old girls breaking into my house???

Sorry, dont see your point??????????????

I would WANT my dog to protect me whilst sleeping upstairs - if a gang of car Hi-jackers break in they will have a 9 stone angry dog to deal with followed very fast by a 19 stone angry son-of-a-bitch with a baseball bat ............................. I will have NO regrets for what I, and my dog do to them either!!

Children often come into our house, the dog doesnt see them as a threat and plays well with them. You can take my dogs dinner off it halfway through - without so much as a grumble.

Pete
Old 01 July 2002, 08:40 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Typical reaction to a rare incident. Id like to see some stats on dog related injuries compared to other more common ones. And my brother got mauled by a dog once before the critics pipe up that I dont understand.
Old 01 July 2002, 09:05 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Buck I'm with you on this one. And Ive got a bloody great scar on the left cheek of my ares to show why.

Chip.
Old 01 July 2002, 09:14 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Lets talk injuries
I've got a 4" scar on my abdomen, Had a broken nose, over 20 stitches in head wounds, 2 broken fingers and various bruises. This was from a walk home from the chip shop one night. Funnilly enough it was'nt a bunch of poodles that were responsible. It was a few "lads" high on something who fancied a bit of fun.
If I had the dog I own now with me, I don't think it would have happened.
Again dogs in the wrong hands can be dangerous. Humans can be dangerous without any provocation, reason or need.
Alasdair
Old 01 July 2002, 09:15 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

just of at a tangent for a sec..... why dont we kill every single stray/lost dog at the dogs homes, ban the sale of dogs without a licence for breeding and give all dogs id tags.

save some **** getting a dog from his mate down the pub and would make ppl think twice before breeding their own dogs to just clog up the doggy world with more unwatted mutts.

T
Old 01 July 2002, 09:19 PM
sebastian
Scooby Regular

It is ****ing cats that are the menace, crapping all over my land so my soon-to-be-4 year old gets cryptosporidium, giardia, toxoplasmosis, ringworm...three cheers for dogs.

http://gardening.wsu.edu/stewardship/compost/petpoop.htm

http://www.tica.org/vet/human.htm
Old 01 July 2002, 10:03 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Typical reactions of people who have not got experence of Dogs. I have lived with one or more dogs for 35 years (my whole life) and like every other animal i treat them with respect. With the correct training they are no more dangerous than any other domesticated animal.
Old 01 July 2002, 10:11 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I just KNEW this program would provoke a response on here.

IMO Dogs are a product of their treatment since day 1. 95% of ALL dogs are no hassle to anybody. Hence why we keep them in our homes.

But its the 5% that everybody hears about, the 5% that kill, destroy and main. I couldn't believe how the program tried to equate dog ownership with drug dealers (even though the one they showed was a bit of nickel and dime merchant)

I've never watched this program before buyt i was expecting 4 different views on the same subject. All we got was all these breeds of dogs should be banned 4 times.

i must admit I was impressed by Germanys ways of testing to see if a dog was dangerous, (I wonder if a similar thing could be introduced over here?) though not so impressed at the blanket way all Bulls, Rotts and Alsatians were lumped together in that warehouse. Also not sure the police should have sold that farmer his Alsatian!

Richard (Pro Dogs)
Old 01 July 2002, 10:21 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Newsflash!

A man drove to work today in a 350bhp car and didn't break the speed limit.

An alsation and it's owner took a walk in the park and didn't kill anyone.

A school teacher took her class on a field trip to Dartmoor and brought all of the pupils home safely again.

Someone looked at my Scoob and said "Nice car" and DIDN'T try to scratch it or car jack it.

Just a few things that didn't makie it into the news today
Old 01 July 2002, 10:25 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Chip - What on earth were you doing breaking into Pete's house ar$e first
Old 01 July 2002, 10:35 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Talking

He was 'Presenting' himself - in the old great Gold Wheel style

Pete
Old 01 July 2002, 11:11 PM
stephen emery
Scooby Regular

Question

image, thats what dangerous dogs give there owners.
Why people want a dog like that?
Horrid ugly with the potental to hurt! (thats just the avarage owner)
I know it tends to be the owner problem and yes cars gunns ect kill and injure far more people.
Why though if you are a sensible decent kind of peep do you want dog with this image ???
Loads of less agressive looking muts about ( Jade From BB for one)
1 Why have the dogs then?
2 why want one?

steve

Old 01 July 2002, 11:27 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Stephen

I agree with you to a degree the local wide boy with 2 Rotties taking HIM for a walk. But the program really concentrated on Staffs (in all their guises) and anyone who has anything to do with regular examples will know they are fun dogs with a personality, good temperment and are EXCELLENT with children (though common sense dictates you should never leave any children alone with ANY dog) But if you breed them to fight, and thats what the man who was imprisoned was doing. (And I found it repulsive to see him hitting them!!) then they will become unpredictable and a hazard to the public. But agian we're back to the owner having to be sensible enough to treat and manage their dog properly.

But to use my example above there nothing to say that those 2 Rottweilers won't be placid and harmless to everybody. The main problem was the generalisation and scaremongering (sp?) to the public this program presented. I guess if you don't like dogs, you never will. Personally i ain't keen on cats, but I don't go around saying that because they MIGHT attack and slash your face we should ban all of them!

Don't get me wrong the injuries both physical/pshycological that were inflicted to those children were horrifying and any dog that does this MUST be put down. But all teh dog is doing is responding how its been trained to.

Cheers for reading

Richard

Quick Reply: still think dogs aren't dangerous?