Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Horse Problem & A Question For Those "In The Know"

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2002, 01:31 PM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have a chat with the RSPCA if you think the stable is too small and or the garden isn't big enough.
Some horses do like to kick the **** out of their stables for no reason but more likely he/she is fustrated about something.
Also if it really stinks call the Enviromental Health Agency.

Mark (closet horsey bloke)

Alos you could call the:

International League for the Protection of Horses
Anne Colvin House
Snetterton
Norfolk
NR16 2LR
http://www.ilph.org
0870 871 1927 Welfare number

[Edited by Mark Champion - 7/1/2002 1:34:13 PM]
Old 01 July 2002, 01:24 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Angry

Neighbour has decided to stick a stable in their small back garden, abutting onto ours. Planning issues to still be decided - like they didn't ask for any!

Into this stable has gone this rather nice looking old horse.

Now Saturday night, it (dunno it's sex) spent over an hour kicking away at this wooden structure with it's hooves & again last night, but I fell back to sleep last night, so I don't know how long.

Why would it do that? I'm guessing that it's stir crazy or simillar as it probably doesn't enough exercise or company.

Anything I can do about it? Any official horse bodies I can talk to?

I'm not into torching or shooting the damn thing either, but I could be tempted with the owner [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Apart from the noise of the horse, the large stable overlooking our back garden, the damn thing stinks to high heaven

Old 01 July 2002, 01:42 PM
Little Miss WRX

What Mark said. Contact those bodies.

Fortunately the horses I have owned where fine in teh stable. Only had a problem when we weaned the foal off her mum.
Other than that they were as good as gold.

Maybe talking to the council about planning permission would help too?
Old 01 July 2002, 02:04 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Puff, you may be unlucky with the planning aspect. Some structures can be erected within your own boundary without permssion. A stable is not that different to a large shed...

I'll ask my father (hes chairman of local district planning comittee - so should know more)

Deano
Old 01 July 2002, 02:08 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Is this the same neighbour as the 'cockerel' incident.

I think one stable is exempt from planning, so the RSPCA is your best bet. OR you could also ask if your kids could have rides whenever they like and so reduce the nusience factor to you
Old 01 July 2002, 02:29 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

Agree with above! ILPH is a very good organisation and give sounds advice...only one not mentions is British Horse Society http://www.bhs.org.uk/...not sure how useful they'll be, but if you're desparate and the others don't work

Kicking the stable is as said a sign of boredom...if the neighbours don't do anything my old nag used to love a swede tied to a string in her stable, used to keep her amused for hours ...and alot cheaper than "horsey toys". Might be one to suggest to the neighbours...although Mark is definatly right - some just do it 'cos the like to!

Btw, is it clean? Not being funny but the stable shouldn't smell...guess it just depends what they do with the muck...
Old 01 July 2002, 02:52 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Some good things there - thanks

Retrospctive planning permission is going to be applied for - apparently...

Environmental Health have been notified...

Neil

Yes - same neighbour but rest assured Ez won't be going anywhere near a horse - already have one neice who has a severely reduced mental age + physical problems as the result of coming off a horse aged 8

Jen

He doesn't smell so much as the "smell" of horse/straw/dung/whatever wafts into, & stays in, our back garden [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 01 July 2002, 02:54 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

Ahh..I see.. Good luck with the environmental health!

also about your niece.
Old 01 July 2002, 05:36 PM
DRUNKNORGY
Scooby Regular

Have got a horse so know a little bit. Is the Horse being kept on its own, if so thats probably why. They are Herd animals and don't like being seperated from others, I wouldn't consider putting mine in a field unless there were either other horses in there or ones in an adjacent field they can see(they go nuts if kept on their own) The field needs to be at least 1 acre in size per horse (of good grazing)unless its being fed with a supplementary diet. Ask them if they plan to get a companion horse (or would you believe a goat). If they don't, I think they are not putting the needs of the horse first and you could ask the ILPH to speak to them. This problem will not go away on its own.
Old 01 July 2002, 09:54 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Maybe it's frustrated at not being able to hunt....
Old 01 July 2002, 11:00 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

It needs the rest of its "Pack" so they can get larger animals....
Old 02 July 2002, 07:16 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Bit surprised at the need for Planning Permission, and it doesn't actually sound like any allegation of abuse of the horse would stick. Boredom is the most likely cause, loneliness and disorientation (it's newly arrived - right?) also candidates (or any combination of any two or all three, as they used to say).... tho' most of you Scoobynetters are too young to remember!! Trouble is, behavioural disorders in horses are difficult to "cure" - you tend to have to learn to mitigate the consequences (e.g. Jen's Turnip) Provision of a companion seems to be the likeliest work-round in this situation, IMHO.

Speak to the owners. If they've put up a stable, they presumably care for the horse, and will be well aware of the problem. Most horse owners will be receptive, 'specially if they care for their animals. Unfortunately, there's a hard core of arrogant s**s also, so I hope your neighbours don't fall into that category. If they've got a 'field ornament' on a whim and don't look after it, then go for 'em!!

Shouldn't smell tho'..... Ummm

Phil
Old 02 July 2002, 08:11 PM
g0d
Scooby Regular

You only need planning permissiom for a single stable if you have other out buildings and sheds in your garden.
Old 02 July 2002, 08:49 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

BTW - How small is "small" as in back garden.... just re-read your initial post! A horse in a small back garden (sic) is a no-no!

Phil
Old 02 July 2002, 09:56 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Dunno as I haven't actually been in their back garden, but it'd be less in total than a tennis court. Horse doesn't actually get to wander around anyway as it spends all its time shut in the stable. I know it was taken out on Sunday - heard it clopping past. I would not be able to say for certain that it is exercised everyday but it may happen when I'm not home, but they both appear to work.

I've spoken to Local Planning (Enforcement) who have taken a piccy & agree 1) that it's a stable & 2) that it requires planning permission. Probably that its something to do with being adjacent to a listed building (theirs).

Without being a "bitch", the lady that owns it is one of them strong, bossy, arrogant types. This is the lady who (thankfully for me) wrung the neck of the cockrell that was banging on at 04:00 AM & had it for sunday lunch! Previous includes dogs shut inside house barking all day. There were 3 dogs but now only one (dunno why & it may be innocent) but that dog probably spends most of the day inside & is allowed out on return to just wander around the village - I keep all my gates shut. Put it this way, there is a public footpath that goes past our house & I have never seen her walking the dog, unlike most of the rest of the dog owning population of the village...

Not an ideal situation
Old 03 July 2002, 11:47 AM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Sucks Teeth. Feels sorry for the horse And for you . Just hope it's exercised more than once a week. Fear that feeling sorry may be about the limit, but please take advice from one of the bodies suggested. What happens to the horse if the stable has to come down.... ?

There are all sorts of respectable reasons, however, why a horse might be in 24/7 and exercised infrequently, including combinations of age/infirmity. You said "old" - based on info? That's why I advocate speaking to the neighbour before pulling any triggers!!

Drive to the yard in the STi, jump the horse around the practice cross-country course! There's living for you (positive note to end!) I do love being retired!!

Phil
Old 03 July 2002, 01:00 PM
BugEyed
Scooby Regular

Angry

Puff

You are "lucky" that their house is listed - if it wasn't then the chances are they wouldn't have needed planning permission and could have got away with permitted development rights.

On a more positive note - try the noise abatement people in the Environmental Department of the council. If the beast is making excessive noise then they can slap and order against the owners.

Duncan
Old 03 July 2002, 05:47 PM
RaZe-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

How would you make the horse comply?
Fit it with fluffy slippers?
Padded stable?
Old 03 July 2002, 09:26 PM
BugEyed
Scooby Regular

Wink

But what if it was Jerry?

Hope you get it sorted James.

Duncan
Old 03 July 2002, 10:10 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

LOL @ B20

Where in Kent....??

Phil
Old 03 July 2002, 10:52 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Boughton Monchelsea. STiUK(P), +veteran Grade A, +Hunter-eventer. Luv 'em all. Gissa wave if we pass??

(Came across the fabled Blackbeast at a Hunter Trial, even! You listnin' Marcus?? )

Cheers,

Phil