Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Double glazing experts? Or anyone really... ;o)

Search this Thread

Old 29 June 2002, 09:08 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hope someone can help!

Last night I was awoken from my deep slumber by a loud smashing noise - thinking "it's the bl**dy cat again.." I went back to sleep, but the next morning I was greeted with the sight of the first pane of glass in our upvc double glazed back door having a new spider web effect....it had been broken (but is still in the door) in one of the top corners. Our theory is some kids were throwing stones over the fence (gathered from the stones surrounding the door and the nice chip marks we now have ) - now I'm not over fussed about that, these things happen ([img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]) but I would like to know how we go about fixing this...

1) Is it easy? i.e. can I do it myself, or will we have no end of condensation problems?
2) Who sells replacement pannels? (local firms or B&Q?)
3) How much is this likely to cost? (I wanted a new spoiler )
4) Any top tips for doing this?

Had a good search through google, but didn't have much luck, so I thought I'd return to the old trusted source of scoobynet knowledge

Thanks,

Jen
Old 30 June 2002, 10:07 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Just had double glazing put in at home. I watched them put in some, as I like to see how things work

The glass bits are sealed units, and they are pushed on to a rubber gasket on the outside by the 4 plastic strippy things on the inside. I have seen the installers lever these out with the edges to get the glass out. They put them back in with the aid of a small plastic/rubber hammer.

If you can find the right size (that includes thickness as well) of glass then it can't be that difficult if you are careful. No idea about cost though

Have seen B&Q Wherehouse in Southampton selling UPVC, but maybe not the glass separately.

Old 30 June 2002, 10:19 PM
NICKBG
Scooby Regular

Jen,

I have fitted a few windows myself in the past, its not that difficult as long as you can get the beading out from around the glass panel, most probably from the inside, depending on the type of fitting this could be plastic strips around the glass or pieces of rubber that need to be removed before the beading can be removed.

The glass unit, might be difficult to remove, as this could be stuck in with security tape... I think you could run a stanley knife blade round the edge and this will help ease the glass unit out.

You need to work out how thick the whole glass unit is, there are a few standard sizes (can't remember the most common). The next thing to do is find a glazier who will make up double glazed units (with safety glass as it is a door). Measure the size required (ideally when beading has been removed - you can always put it back in until the unit has been made).

Cost - From memory - they are not that expensive, although you will pay a bit more for safety glass, depending on size you could be looking at 60 notes. (that is a guess based on what I had)

then when old glass unit has been removed (carefully) you can simply pop the new unit in - using the same process as removing the panel.

Hope this helps Jen....
If I lived closer - I would do it for you !

Cheers and hope you get it sorted
Nick
Old 30 June 2002, 11:55 PM
normarker
Scooby Regular

You're in Southampton, try Maybush Glass, I think they make up sealed units to fit.
Old 30 June 2002, 11:58 PM
normarker
Scooby Regular

http://www.google.com/search?q=double+glazing+units+southampton&hl=en&lr =&ie=ISO-8859-1
Should be something here
Old 01 July 2002, 07:47 AM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Arn't we missing the point here ?
Go round & kick those kids asses...or their dads asses.
They will just think you are soft & do it again otherwise.

Ro.
Old 01 July 2002, 08:24 AM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

Question

Claim on house insurance and let them worry about it.
Old 01 July 2002, 08:30 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Smile

Your home buildings insurance may cover you in full--I know mine did when my eldest (then 4) put a brick through one of mine.
If it's not actually through, only cracked , you can do a temporary repair with a pane of 4mm cut to size (ask for the edges to be arrassed and have it cut at least 20 mm undersize on each side to allow for getting the beading out when you do the proper repair), and stuck on with a special type of silicone sealant also bought from the glazier. Look at expense though. I put clear sellotape on the crax in mine until the new unit was ready.
Old 01 July 2002, 09:22 AM
Jen
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys It's annoying how things have to happen before you learn about them

Nick - thanks for the detailed reply! Excellent, it does indeed have rubber before the beading...and I hadn't even thought about it being saftey glass, guess it's obvious when you think about it! Glad you mentioned it though

dnb - I know the warehouse well, might pop down there and have a look...cars at Strides (or sparshatts...) at the moment, so I could kill two birds with one stone as it were

normarker - thanks for the recommendation, today's "make a list of glazing companies" day, so that's a good start

Ro - would be nice in theory, but we have no idea who they are...guess that's the disadvantage of having the house backing onto a main(ish) road...albeit through 10ft of wild undergrowth...

Tim and alcazar ( name ) - Sadly it's not a temporary repair job, there's 100's of cracks all over the pain of glass . I think the house inusrance route is the one we are going to take (and one I didn't think of 'till now!), we can get the glass in the garage repaired while we're at it (broken by the last owners) so it might be quite a good thing really

...Thanks for the info all Going to ring up for quotes and report it to the police incase it's an insurance job...

Jen