Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Strippers...

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2002, 04:38 PM
IanWatson
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry guys - another DIY thread!

My girlfriend has decided we're stripping all the interior woodwork in the flat - 4 thick layers of mushroom gloss on most of it.

We've got loadsand loads to do, too a weekend with blow torch, electric heat guns and a sanding machine to do two big bay windows.

I'm going chemical this time, and not crappy Nitromors...

I need some commercial strength stuff
Anyone used Peel Away 7 ?

cheers
ian

Old 22 June 2002, 10:28 AM
kav
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

If you're doing the doors, I'd take them off the hinges and get them dipped profesionally - well worth it. Depending on the state of the skirting boards etc, you might want to do the same with them.

Cheers
Kav
Old 22 June 2002, 11:50 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

From experience - DIY chemical strippers are not as effective as 'blow torching'. Best advice is (as mentioned) to get them dipped. £10-20 a door (less if plenty) does it far quicker far easier and not really much more expensive!
Old 22 June 2002, 10:59 PM
cement man
Scooby Regular

Smile

Dipped doors will be slighter lighter in appearance owing to the bleaching effect of the chemical used [caustic[,when done wash off with white vinegar.Skirtings etc should be done with hot air gun to get the worst off then nitromors then finally with white spirit & kitchen scouring pad,bit of sanding, a finish of your choice,& it'll look lovely jubbly.
Old 25 June 2002, 09:46 PM
Doc
Scooby Regular

Cool

Don't you know stripped wood is SO nineties
Old 26 June 2002, 10:06 AM
IanWatson
Scooby Regular

Doc - I'm in mainland Europe - we're decades behind mate!

In all serious the main issue is simply how thick and badly painted the wood is, alot will be repainted.

Anyway - bought a 30 litre tub of this Peelaway stuff (cost me about 50 quid!)- paste it on, cover with paper and leave.

First try - left it too long/didn't put quite as much on as I needed, so it dried out a bit. Where there was enough applied it took off 5 layers pretty well, still needs finishing but far less hassle than the blowtorch and absolutely loads better than DIY chemical strippers