Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

ADT burglar alarms - any good?

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2002, 12:40 AM
sebastian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ADT are currently selling their systems door to door around here and offering free equipment install with monitoring fee only to pay.

I need an alarm so am tempted but fear there is a catch, I m alway suspicious of such deals especially ones sold at the doorstep.

does anyone have experience or advice about this or similar monitored setups?

Thanks, Seb
Old 21 June 2002, 09:45 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

i asked this a while back- didnt hear very good stuff at all.

in the end i have fitted a yale self install alarm which is very good.

T
Old 21 June 2002, 11:36 AM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

We use ADT at work and have never had any problems. Dont know if home models are worse. Why dont you try one of the Wireless ones such as Yale or Powemax, they can call you if your alarm is triggered thus saving you having to pay the expensive monitoring fees.

Si.
Old 21 June 2002, 11:41 AM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Talking

YeeeHaah...Ride em' Cowboy!

The catch is the contract ties you in and you are comitted to paying a lot of money. Possibly you then have to pay for the equipment or give it back if you cancel when you finally can. A similar company (may be the same one!) took money from my neighbour a year before he moved to a new house that was being built. Now it is finally ready and he moved in months ago he can't get them to come and install his system.
Old 21 June 2002, 06:26 PM
sebastian
Scooby Regular

mmmm ok thanks guys I ll shop around and see.
Old 21 June 2002, 08:33 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

We now use ADT at work.

Our local alarm company was bought out by ADT.
I'm currently looking round for another company as I have had nothing but problems ang grief with ADT. Their prices are over double what we previously paid as well

Lee
Old 22 June 2002, 08:59 AM
dualtech
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I am a sub- contract alarm installer and have had dealings with ADT. ADT do not install the systems their self's, every job is fitted by a locol "dealership" who can employ any old monkey.

They fly leaf "free alarm systems" worth £750. You only get basic security coverage and the alarm is "thrown" into your house with cables clipped "surface" (tacked around your skirting board).

To get your "free alarm",you then have to sign up for their monitoring service for 3 years at 95p a day.(.95 x 365 x3 = £1040.25)

If you want secuirty systems fitted look in the yellow pages for NACOSS registered companies. For cheaper system get the one man bands in, but be careful, some are bodge it and scarper.

Get as many quotes as you can, do not buy more equipment than you need, most sales man sell you to much.

For a 3 bed semi you do not need more than 4 detectors and a door contact.....4 bed detacthed..6 detectors, 2 door contacts, depending on how many rooms and of course the value of the contents.

Most installers fit crap control panels costing only £50, do there job but that's it and they charge you £200 for it!!

If you need any more info or have a quote I will gladly advise you of the equipment and the price quoted.

Or if you live near Peterborough I will fit you one cheap