Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Insulate Britain.

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2022, 01:00 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Question Insulate Britain.

Why do these people think it is upto to the government to insulate their homes? it is your home, you insulate it if it needs it.

https://news.sky.com/story/insulate-...tious-12535262
Old 07 February 2022, 01:27 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Bunch of nutters: Pissing off the general public is never going get people on their side.

And their manifesto is badly thought through; Yeah, let's only insulate all the old /badly built houses so they then turn them into damp boxes full of mould spores.

Just make the materials zero VAT. Along with Solar, MVHR, A-rated glazing/doors etc. That's all it needs. Too many upstarts ripping off the public.

Just had to reinsulate my attic after a rodent infestation made a right mess; Cant believe how expensive basic glass/mineral wool insulation is, which essentially is just recycled waste... and to get any rebate I have to use a accredited installer, who will just overcharge anyway and bodge it.
Old 07 February 2022, 02:09 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Wurzel
Why do these people think it is upto to the government to insulate their homes? it is your home, you insulate it if it needs it.

https://news.sky.com/story/insulate-...tious-12535262
I agree in principle, but government regulations can help motivate people to do the renovations.

I kind of like the current rules in Germany that require upgrading heating/insulation systems on particularly poorly insulated old houses when they are sold. A friend recently bought a place that needed renovating, they have been given something like 5 years to do the necessary upgrades. The minimum level they have to achieve is also pretty realistic, so they could hit the target with about €30K investment.

Also a big help in Germany is the KfW credit incentives. Germany has a bank called Kraft für Wiederbelebung Bank (KfW) [Strength for Revival] which was set up after the war to help with reconstruction costs. Today it offers credit with incentives for energy efficient building. For example I built an energy efficient home last year which I was able to take €100K loan from the KfW Bank and received a €15K repayment to the loan once the house was built and passed the energy tests. I also got a further €6K payment for fitting solar panels, so for the €100K credit, I only need to repay €79K! There are similar offers available for renovations of old buildings and not just new builds. The bank is not-for-profit, so the profits are effectively given back to the public in the form of incentives!