Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Bike Cops - Bunch of to$$ers

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2002, 10:15 PM
met
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

i know all the arguements have been done to death re the police BUT! on the way home from work on my bike, ktm duke II, on a BIG empty a road, 40mph speed limit, 2 w@nkers hiding behind a bus stop with a speed camera, pulled me at what was showing 48mph?????????? why cos there is 0 tolerance! I was very polite & apologised & said yeah i was probably a going a bit too quick my bike is totally standard & legal, no small plate,no dark visor, no race cans,& bags of tread on my tyres, all taxed & motd etc etc. the 2 little ar$eholes gave me a £60 fine & 3 points & pointed out that speeding kills & that the extra 8 mph could be the deciding factor. rant over.
Old 19 June 2002, 10:23 PM
STI MAN
Scooby Regular

Angry

What will the government do when everybody is banned? how will they get their funds then?

The rate in which the UK is becoming a Police State is very worrying.....
Old 19 June 2002, 10:39 PM
met
Scooby Regular

am i being unreasonable in thinking that they were out of order? both being bike cops too? you would of thought a little bit of decency would of said that this guy is clearly not a boy racer who needs to be taught a lesson, i just felt that i was very unreasonably treated, speed kills we all know that one but i was truly amazed at the ticket & 3 points, oh well f"ck it.
Old 19 June 2002, 10:44 PM
micky
Scooby Regular

bike cops definately *** h*les imo . feel for ya mate
Old 19 June 2002, 10:51 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Um, to me there's no difference between bike cops or cops in their patrol cars. All they want to do is make money by issuing tickets. What you should've said to them is "why let vandals get away with what they do and pick on motorists only?". I'd like to know their reply on that one..
Old 19 June 2002, 10:57 PM
met
Scooby Regular

the cop that actually decided to give me the ticket was every park keeper, traffic warden & other fluro jacket empowered chap rolled into one just my luck, when i said what a farce it all is etc he said that he was protecting me from killing myself, phew! i feel saved really i do thanks, had he not have pulled me from smashing the speed limit by perhaps 8measley mph i would surely have killed myself second later, condescending moron.

[Edited by met - 6/19/2002 11:01:33 PM]
Old 19 June 2002, 10:58 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You were speeding, you got caught, you got fined - we all know what happens if we get caught speeding ...... I am amazed that you appear surprised??

If I had £1 for everyone who felt hard done by when caught I would be posting on the Aston Martin BBS!!!

I am including myself in that also!! I got caught speeding on a road as wide as the M4 as the limit is 30pmh - I was NOT happy at all.

I also think that the police allienate the public daily by speeding fines - but that is only my opinion.

At the end of the day if we speed and get caught we can expect what we deserve - a fine!!

Pete
Old 19 June 2002, 11:02 PM
shunty
Scooby Regular

met - sounds like youv'e been very unlucky..
I was let off by a copper on a bike on the M1 near J40 only 3 weeks ago, speeding @ about 8pm, safely in the dry....I spotted him about 800 yards behind me. Won't say what I was doing
When he pulled up along side I gave him an " oh ****..sorry officer look & wave", he nodded & pulled away. Lucky me.

In wakefield their is a road that changes from 30-50 mph, there are no houses (in fact industrial estates) & they sit their regular with gun that my radar detector doesn't show (jammer picked it up though) & they must get loads....
thing is you could safely do 40-50 easily on that stretch.
They are only carrying out politicians & senior police wishes though.

shunty
Old 19 June 2002, 11:05 PM
met
Scooby Regular

agreed, ive already been in & surrendered my licence & posted the cheque for £60, just wanted to vent me spleen, got busted for 8mph over, lucky he didnt check the rucksack, full to the brim with drugs & guns very thorough check, my ****, lucky he radioed in to check if the bike was stolen or that i gave him the right name & address.........
Old 19 June 2002, 11:25 PM
Sphyncter
Scooby Regular

Unlucky Met, but, like PSLewis said.

Wonder if they'd have bothered if you were in a Mini

(or a gal )
Old 19 June 2002, 11:49 PM
yoza
BANNED

Red face

Do you ever look back and think...........
SHOULD HAVE RUN THE BA5TARDS OVER....
or give them a chase?
I know I do.
Get the small plate,and next time get off.....show them what speeding is.
Get your garage door on a remote for a quick dissapearing act
"In no way do I think it a good idea to run coppers over or speed or take a chase or blah blah blah ect ect ect."
Later Yoza
Old 20 June 2002, 12:13 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

I think you can only put limited responsibility on the PC's involved. They are under immense pressure from their superiors to pull over/fine/catch speeding as many members of the public as possible. They're doing their job as we all do, many of them don't agree with the way policy is going but if they don't do what they are told then they risk their career/jobs etc. most of us here would do the same. They are, in effect, puppets of the anti-car, mp's, senior police etc.
There are nicer ones and not-so nicer ones as in all walks of life, if you're lucky you get the one that says 'on your way mate' (if they do actually believe that you weren't going dangerously), if you're unlucky you'll get the 'you're a madman doing 53 in a 50, I'm gonna impress my superior with all my catches tonight' type.
Old 20 June 2002, 12:21 AM
millband
Scooby Regular

Angry

Tw@ts like the Commons transport select committee don't help matters - have a look at this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk_...00/2052700.stm

Steve
Old 20 June 2002, 08:23 AM
Timbo33
Scooby Regular

Speed doesn't cause deaths directly, it is the effect of an inexperienced driver exceeding his abilities in an emergency situation. The law is there to protect us from ourselves and more importantly, to protect innocent parties from tw@ts in high powered cars who want to drive fast everywhere...

A couple of colleagues and I did an Airfield day last week and it frightened the life out of me. I thought I was a pretty good driver but after losing the Scoob at 80 mph on a fast corner twice I realise my falibility......thankfully it was on a piece of tarmac the size of Wales which few roads in the UK provide as run off.....

The 'emergency braking' test was a bit of an eye opener too when yopu realise how far the car travels at 70mph when you hit the brake, and how you can shorten that distance, even with the ABS, by braking more intelligently. I was able to reduce the braking distance by about 30 feet, which is 'hit car in front/not hit car in front' or more imporatntly, 'kill kiddy/not kill kiddy'

We all (I hope) accept the need for lower speed limits in residential and built up areas and should abide by them without whingeing....if we get caught, we get caught....I'm a town councillor and I support lower limits (20mph) in residential areas and around schools. I still drive at 30-40 mph in those areas and I'll look pretty stupid if ever a copper pulls me!!!

As Spock said in one of the Star Trek movies, " The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one..."

As for more open roads, yes it would be nice if the traffic police were more lenient but it's their job to pick up body parts from RTA's and I think I'd be a bit tougher on speeding motorists if I was in that situation.

The answer, if you want to exceed the limit and not get nicked, is to find bits of road that aren't so well travelled. Keep off the major routes which are going to have speed cameras and more Police about.....but it won't stop you killing someone (including yourself) if you get it wrong....

The other answer, to overcome the perception amongst politicians and the public that 'speed kills' is to have a programme of (compulsory) Advanced Driving tuition to improve driving standards and improve road safety. As the majority of the public wouldn't want to fork out for that i don't think it's very likely

Soapbox now removed, high horse put back in stable

[Edited by Timbo33 - 6/20/2002 8:34:30 AM]

[Edited by Timbo33 - 6/20/2002 8:38:07 AM]
Old 20 June 2002, 08:56 AM
shunty
Scooby Regular

Timbo - just to pick up on the braking bit, by the way that was a well thought out/worded post
those of us with brake upgrades know how much earlier we can stop, it makes a massive difference & my old argument is that if you have a fiesta & my car both doing 70, I know which one will stop first.

shunty
Old 20 June 2002, 09:09 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

i was on the course with tim and can confirm that i wouldnt want to be on the edge of an 80mph corner when he trys to take it a bit quick!

T
Old 20 June 2002, 09:47 AM
MH
Scooby Newbie

"At the end of the day if we speed and get caught we can expect what we deserve - a fine!!"

I see where you're coming from - but doesn't the punishment outweigh the 'crime'? The fine might only be £60 but the increase in your insurance for three years adds up to a lot.
With normal 'crimes' you can get a Caution for your first offence. Why not do that with speeding ? I see people in the local paper that get smaller fines for muggings and housebreaking.

"A couple of colleagues and I did an Airfield day last week and it frightened the life out of me. I thought I was a pretty good driver but after losing the Scoob at 80 mph on a fast corner twice I realise my falibility......thankfully it was on a piece of tarmac the size of Wales which few roads in the UK provide as run off....."

If the government \ police gave the public access to places like this it would be far more likely to reduce road accidents. If you have a place where you can explore the limits of your car and your capabilities it stands to reason most people will be more sensible \ drive within the limits on the roads.
Most people don't find out the limits of there car \ abilities until there sat in a ditch or wrapped around lamppost.
Old 20 June 2002, 09:49 AM
Alpine
Scooby Regular

You ran the risk.. you lost...Take it like a man.. 20% over..

Cops have their job to do, like a lot of you I don't necessarily agree on the emphasis placed on motoring offences but your average copper on the beat doesn't get to make that decision..

BTW I was done for 34 in a 30.. 8 years ago... chalked it down to experience...
Old 20 June 2002, 10:31 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Getting fined & pointed for 48 is harsh, it's only just outside the "10% plus 2mph" range ... I would have thought a bike cop would give you a chat and a warning, never had probs with bike cops before.
Old 20 June 2002, 11:41 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Having just been done for 72 in a 60, I can sympathise, but we were both speeding, and we both know that speeders are being targeted.

My advice to everyone is join an action group, such as the ABD and make your voices heard. I personally have reached the end of my tether on **** like this and am going to star writing to the relevant MP's demanding to know why, rather than spending money on fighting the symptoms of the disease by using speed cameras, why aren;t they fighting the actual disease by improving driving standards.
Old 20 June 2002, 02:15 PM
DRUNKNORGY
Scooby Regular

Bike coppers or Car coppers, They are all the same, The Government is ultimately to blame for this farce, They write the rules for the traffic plod to follow. The police chiefs will enforce anything and everything as they are looking at a knighthood when they retire if they behave themselves. You ask any traffic plod if they get job satisfaction and they mostly will say no, Why?, because they know that waving hairdryers at motorists is not real policing and not the reason they joined the force , They all want to be Inspector Morse (Frustrating Huh lol). They get relief from their tedium through the endorphine rush they get when they catch you doing 67 in a 60 limit. Thats their job satisfaction (Remember the film Stakeout, They are not really in the same league are they). I would rather empty bins for a living, at least its genuinely serving the community. The government isn't really interested in saving lives, they are just raising revenue through another method. Their actions speak louder than any party political broadcast. We are all game cos we are traceable. Bunch of ***** the lot of them.
Old 20 June 2002, 02:22 PM
Phill
Scooby Regular

Bike coppers, in my experience have been the fairest of them all...

Comments like, you were riding very well, you kept a safe distance from the other traffic and obeyed good lane discipline but three figures should cost you your license, but i'm out to catch dangerous drivers not quick drivers.......

Their not all the same, but as said they have there job defined by the fat cats that we vote for and the pressure on them is building now it's all stats and numbers !!

Keep it cool everyone,

Phill (recently pulled !!)
Old 20 June 2002, 03:24 PM
Molds
Scooby Regular

It'd be easier to swallow if the Police were less happy about "doing thier job" when they book you. Sometimes you could say fair cop and mean it, except the **** dop-ing you is an arrogant, condescending little tawt who you know will have a law unto his own when working or in civvies.

Old 20 June 2002, 03:59 PM
Sphyncter
Scooby Regular

When was the last time any off us tipped over the ton ? and did not get pulled ?

Bet for most of us it was pretty recent.

The ratio of times we have been going silly speeds and gotten away Scott free far far outweighs the number of times any off us have been fined for doing so.

Have fast car, will travel, fast, often.

If we get pulled for speeding we should take it on the chin, fullstop.

Still crap when it does happen though.
Old 20 June 2002, 04:24 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shunty... i wouldnt be near j41 would it?

David
Old 20 June 2002, 04:45 PM
Luke
BANNED

They not Police anymore...Just traffic wardens.They should all wear the same uniform.
Old 20 June 2002, 07:10 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

Luke, clever analogy!

mb
Old 20 June 2002, 08:46 PM
shunty
Scooby Regular

David W - yes it was near J41 ?

shunty
Old 20 June 2002, 10:19 PM
Crapaud62
Scooby Regular

Difference between police with radar gun and going down on girlfriend.

When you go down on girlfriend you can still see the **** behind the bush
Old 22 June 2002, 03:07 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Angry

Why do tw@ts like the commons select committee on transport constantly get away with the b*llsh*t about there being a direct link between speeding and accidents? RoSPA say that only 8% of fatal accidents on our roads have speed related causes, whereas about 30%+ are down to drunk and or careless pedestrians. Wot about a fine/points system for them? When they reach 12 points they could be "grounded" from going out!
Think of the revenue! Think how much easier they would be to stop!
Face it guys: the government has seen the motorist as an easy mark. It isn't going to go away. They're more dishonest as the years go by. We've just got to live with it, or emigrate. I think I might go wherever the asylum seekers are coming from. At the rate they're coming in, is there anyone left in their country?
Don't forget that it was our government that put up the price of diesel massively as it "is a worse polluter than petrol", thereby knocking the bottom out of the diesel car market. In France they had the same prob: loss of revenue as everyone was into cheap-to-run diesels. Their government came clean. They admitted they were losing revenue, and just said they would put the price of diesel up to the same as petrol over the next few years. Everyone just accepted it.
Mind you-- over there, the price of fuel does go down EVERY TIME the world oil price falls. Of course, ours does to.........doesn't it? Every time????
Rant over, sorry.

Quick Reply: Bike Cops - Bunch of to$$ers