Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2002, 11:06 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

BBC news item here

Some snippets...

...calls for speed cameras to cover the whole country by 2004.
The transport committee describes as "unreasonable" new rules meaning speed cameras are now being painted yellow and limits have been put on where they can be sited.

"Crashes do not just occur at accident blackspots," says the report. "There was no scientific research to support this decision. People will die as a result."

Among their other recommendations are:

. Make speed limits 30mph through villages
. Scrap national speed limit signs and use numbers
. Use more 20mph speed limits.
(atually don't mind the ones for 20mph limits and 30mph though villages).

It just gets worse..

Brought to you by the ScoobyNet news web crawler...

[Edited by Nimbus - 6/19/2002 11:06:36 AM]
Old 19 June 2002, 11:08 AM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

Talking

Apparently 3500 people are killed on the roads every year. These folks want the speed cameras hidden and back to grey so that instead of warning people to slow down instead of potentially causing a disaster, they want to fine them for blatting through a potentially deadly area.

So...

Visible and prevention
OR
Concealed and Revenue Generator...

Hmmmmmm.....

[Edited by Mice_Elf - 6/19/2002 11:09:23 AM]
Old 19 June 2002, 11:26 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Angry

I hate Gatso's, I hate Mp's who don't live in the real world!!

We live in a world where unfortunately people will die...we take risks every day of our lives, be it in our jobs, for pleasure ie sports . Even cooking food must have some risks involved. The problem is that the state wants to rule and control every part of our lives.......and if they can't they'll make as much money out of it as posible!!

DIY causes numerous accidents and deaths each year but do you see the government closing down B&Q.........no, because they can't make money from it!!

Gatso's are purely for making money IMHO...nothing more!!

What we need to do is teach people to drive properly. If you're crap you don't get a licence and don't get to use the roads. These people who can take their test 5 or 6 times and then pass are clearly not fit to be on the roads. Anybody can get lucky once. The test should be harder and include some motorway experiance (I know the logistics of this are a problem). just this morning I saw a woman driving and drinking a cup of coffee!! that's the problem not doing 80-90 on a motorway.

To be honest I think this country is going down hill fast......just hope it doesn't go past a gatso!!
Old 19 June 2002, 11:28 AM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

OK, here's my theory, for what it's worth....

If the government improved public transport and made it comfortable, reliable and valud for money, more people would use it.

If something was done to organise schemes to get children to school (either an American school bus thing, or walking convoys) or God forbid something was done to tackle crime so parents felt their children were safe walking to school, then less parents would use their car for the "school run".

Then, this means that there is less traffic heading into town centres and hence less congestion.

And then, following on from that, because there is no frustration into driving into a town centre, people don't feel the need to exceed the speed limit.

Probably sounds a load of ballcocks, but it made sense for the brief moment that I thought about it
Old 19 June 2002, 11:48 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Did you know that more people die from infections caught in hospitals in this country than they do from road deaths?

Wouldn't it be nice to see the Government invest the time and money into fighting that particular killer?

Maybe they could ban smoking and introduce smoking cameras, that way, they'd keep generating revenue, and actually save lives.

Northants road deaths have actually increased since the introduction of cameras, so they can't be working all that well.
Old 19 June 2002, 11:56 AM
Molds
Scooby Regular

Does anyone email these "food for thought" threads to MPs etc.?

They need to go somewhere outside of S/Net if our voices are to be heard.
Old 19 June 2002, 11:58 AM
Alpine
Scooby Regular

There was chief inspector on R5 this morning saying that the 3500 deaths on the roads was a national tradgedy which he and his officers wanted to tackle by harder punishment of speeding motorists! What a complete g!t... made my blood boil.. The biggest national tradgedy is that our police force is picking on motorists as an easy target instead of tackling real crime..

BTW I don't condone speeding.. never do it myself in the lower limits and wouldn't object to cameras outside every school and limits dropped to 20mph.. PROVIDED they teach parents dropping kids off not to double park, pull away from the kerb without signalling and generally driving like *****...
Old 19 June 2002, 12:03 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

The thing i am picking up about this is that there are 3500 road deaths each year. Now if the cameras are painted yellow then more people will see them, slow down and less people will be killed ??? I am sure thats what should be acheived.

But it seems what the goverment wants to do is to make the cameras hidden, and catch more speeding motorists and hence make more money out of the cameras. This would mean that (probably) there would be no less deaths on the road, and the government make money out of the situation whilst not reducing road deaths at all.

Nice.

[Edited by druddle - 6/19/2002 12:05:10 PM]
Old 19 June 2002, 12:17 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w@nkers

enuff is enuff
Old 19 June 2002, 12:18 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you think she would cut it on mingers.com??

[Edited by jjones - 6/19/2002 12:19:00 PM]
Old 19 June 2002, 12:33 PM
Little Miss WRX

Unhappy

I have experienced loss of a close friend through a car accident and that was because the driver was 3 times over the legal alcohol limit.
IMHO he got away with it - the sentence he got was a pittance [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

The rest of the losses I have experienced and shortly will do have been/are due to cancer.

I wish more was done by the government to help fund research
Especially more in terms of diagnosis as two of the deaths could easily have been helped if spotted early enough.
Old 19 June 2002, 01:25 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Top marks to the Police clown who said "painting speed cameras bright yellow will just make motorists slow down. It's the same as telling a burglar he will get arrested if he burgles the bright blue house".

AND HIS POINT IS WHAT? Feckwit.

Talk about twisted logic.
Old 19 June 2002, 02:45 PM
Little Miss WRX

Then the police wonder why there is so much disresepct and hatred for them
Old 19 June 2002, 03:14 PM
bros2
Scooby Regular

The 3500 deaths each year include pedestrians run over by cars.

I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but was shocked to read that a significant percentage of road deaths are the result of pissed pedestrians walking out in front of cars. OK, so if cars are going slower they're less likely to kill a boozer, but surely the original cause should be the first thing to tackle.

Bros

(edited cos I didn't proofread - idiot that I am)

[Edited by bros2 - 6/19/2002 3:15:36 PM]
Old 19 June 2002, 04:32 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

More than 3500 people die each year by falling down the stairs.

THINK! Stairs kill.
Old 19 June 2002, 04:48 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Motorists = easy target.

We seem to be a minority group, and we aren't making enough noise to get ourselves heard.

Trouble is I'm not sure how to do that
Old 19 June 2002, 04:57 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

"Crashes do not just occur at accident blackspots," says the report.
No, but a lot (i.e. a disproportionately large amount) of crashes happen at accident blackspots. That's why they're called "accident blackspots"
Old 19 June 2002, 04:59 PM
Little Miss WRX

Arrow

Wow they may actually be thinking out of the box there!!!!

Crashes don't just happen at accident black spots

Profound statement indeed.
Old 19 June 2002, 05:22 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Isn't this the Government's idea? The police just enforce what the current Goverment's policy is at the time.
Old 19 June 2002, 05:24 PM
Little Miss WRX

Wink

"Speed camera rules 'will cause deaths' say MPs"
Actually their statement is quite incoreect unless the rules are lethal wepaons
Old 19 June 2002, 05:32 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

even weapons don't cause deaths, people cause deaths. Or stampedeing elephants, or falling rocks.

I say ban people and you'll see a dramatic drop in the number of people killed. Maybe fine people if they exist as a way of raising revenue.
Old 19 June 2002, 05:46 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Apart from the fact that they couldn't give two ***** to the victim of the crime and letting criminals getting away with practically murder?

Old 19 June 2002, 06:52 PM
bug-eyed wonder
Scooby Regular

Angry

I have had 4 "near misses" in the last fortnight. 3 were senile old ******* pulling out to over take on dual carriage ways/motorway and the other was a woman on a mobile phone who crossed the central line on a B road. In all honesty non of these were above the limits but WTF is being done about this type of driving.

ps In Ulster we only have a couple of fixed cameras on trial at the minute but it's only a matter of time until we get Gatsos everywhere. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 19 June 2002, 07:06 PM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

Excerpt from AutoExpress:

The number of children killed in car accidents rose sharply last year, reversing a 10-year trend – and the school run is partly to blame!

Government figures show that 218 children died on the roads in 2001, compared to 191 the previous year. A hike in deaths of child car passengers, not pedestrians or cyclists, has been cited for the rise. The peak times for deaths are 8am and 3pm on weekdays, which is when children are travelling to and from school. A reluctance to wear seatbelts is a major reason.
[Edited by DavidBrown - 6/19/2002 7:06:23 PM]
Old 19 June 2002, 07:38 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Just watched CH4 news. interesting when the guy from the ABD made a valid point agianst Dunwoody. She came back with the classic "Lets me sensible here"!!! FFS

Fantastic interpersonal skills from a MP. "If you don't agree with me youre an idiot"

Its all about Money at the end of the day.

But if the cameras were outside schools, at blackspots I magine the vast majority of the public would accept them.
Richard
Old 19 June 2002, 08:08 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

We could just grind the courts to a halt?

If everyone who was caught on camera opted to go to court instead of just accepting the fine and points, the courts would grind to a halt within a matter of days, surely that would get someones attention?!!!

It's about time the government got a grip and left motorists alone, well except for the crap driving dullards I get stuck behind every chuffin mornin[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Bob ( having a really bad day!)
Old 19 June 2002, 08:15 PM
bug-eyed wonder
Scooby Regular

the courts would grind to a halt within a matter of days,

Except they would put lesser crime cases like theft or kiddie fiddling on hold to deal with the "real" crims doing 5mph over the limit.
Old 19 June 2002, 10:27 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Angry

Look some how there will get you out of your car and into the bus. be it by taking your licence away or by making driving to miserable!

Mean while the police get "loads of money" and a crime which they can actually clear up whilst sleeping on duty in they camera van (Essex police you know who you are)
Old 20 June 2002, 10:24 AM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Once again we have a "select committee" comprised of a small number of bigoted idiots whose views and opinions do not represent those of the general public.

In reality, the topic has nothing to do with catching speeding motorists, it's all about keeping the general population under control.

Oh, and you can bet your bottom dollar that Jack Straw's chauffeur still breaks the speed limit if he's late for a meeting.
Old 20 June 2002, 11:27 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Angry

That's it, I'm writing to my MP.