Schizophrenic Miliband

Search this Thread

Old 19 March 2021, 10:11 AM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Schizophrenic Miliband

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56437665

I'm sure this is the same guy who only last week said we should not open a new coal mine, to produce coking coal, in Cumbria, citing CO2 emissions as the reason, yet here he is saying the government should step in and nationalise the steal industry. Surely he should be saying it's had it's day and lets close it all down, saving the polar bears. What a great advocate for the out of sight, out of mind mentality he is.
Old 19 March 2021, 04:16 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

You know, I'm sounding like a 1970's trade unionist here, but I reckon the de-industrialisation of the UK was planned all along, with an objective to shift to the finance and services sectors to mop up the economic short fall.

You see our successive governments have signed us up to various environmental treaties and agreements starting in the early 80's and continued to sign up to them throughout until the present day. Those treaties and agreements basically meant closure of industry. Because it's no longer economically or even technically viable to do such activities and stay within ever tightening legislation. This is where the developing worlds and tiger economies of the far east came into play. Not only could they undercut us, they could out produce and palm off many environmental and human/workforce responsibilities.

The end result is the UK is cleaner than ever because nearly all of the dirty industries have now closed, we just import it instead. Our bureaucrats stay smug and announce that we are leading the way to a green economy when all we do is just palm off the dirty work to someone else who is prepared to lie or sidestep the 'green' credentials.

In the end we achieved zilch and just put people out of jobs.
Old 22 March 2021, 12:19 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B
You know, I'm sounding like a 1970's trade unionist here, but I reckon the de-industrialisation of the UK was planned all along, with an objective to shift to the finance and services sectors to mop up the economic short fall.

You see our successive governments have signed us up to various environmental treaties and agreements starting in the early 80's and continued to sign up to them throughout until the present day. Those treaties and agreements basically meant closure of industry. Because it's no longer economically or even technically viable to do such activities and stay within ever tightening legislation. This is where the developing worlds and tiger economies of the far east came into play. Not only could they undercut us, they could out produce and palm off many environmental and human/workforce responsibilities.

The end result is the UK is cleaner than ever because nearly all of the dirty industries have now closed, we just import it instead. Our bureaucrats stay smug and announce that we are leading the way to a green economy when all we do is just palm off the dirty work to someone else who is prepared to lie or sidestep the 'green' credentials.

In the end we achieved zilch and just put people out of jobs.
I wouldn't reckon, it's exactly what was planned. Also I'm pretty sure Millipede is the guy who signed us up to the most punitive CO2 targets as well, but it suits the out of sight, out of mind agenda.