Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Remember when Subaru drivers would wave at each other

Search this Thread

Old 25 February 2020, 09:06 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Remember when Subaru drivers would wave at each other

It seems now Tesla owners do the same. This is our car next to another this morning. They are becoming more popular. Infact that's what our drive looks like blue S, red 3

I saw four Tesla's this morning
Old 25 February 2020, 09:51 AM
pjarvis6666
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

petrol station in the background!! oh the irony . I Watched top gear with the All electric VW - What a machine. That looked brutal acceleration
Old 25 February 2020, 10:53 AM
IdonthaveaScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

Im pretty sure its mainly / only been impreza drivers with the limp wrist wave

yes at this rate every town will have a tesla by 2030
Old 25 February 2020, 11:22 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Granted they have bundles of Torque and that's where it ends, bar the i8 most look drab and sound, well there is no sound.

Car ownership for the majority means nothing it's a metal box to get from A to B with the practicality they need but for the rest of us it's about heightening the senses.

The following 4 users liked this post by Funkii Munkii:
Old 25 February 2020, 11:25 AM
IdonthaveaScooby
Scooby Regular

Just wait till we all have to eat veggies grown underground , in nothing but water
Old 25 February 2020, 12:14 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo

Originally Posted by pjarvis6666
petrol station in the background!! oh the irony . I Watched top gear with the All electric VW - What a machine. That looked brutal acceleration

We were sat in American diner
Old 25 February 2020, 12:20 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii
Granted they have bundles of Torque and that's where it ends, bar the i8 most look drab and sound, well there is no sound.

Car ownership for the majority means nothing it's a metal box to get from A to B with the practicality they need but for the rest of us it's about heightening the senses.
From reports of car journalists. the Model 3(P) is a better car than the famed BMW M3

Trending Topics

Old 25 February 2020, 01:43 PM
Rusti
Scooby Regular

Received 157 Likes on 132 Posts

Shame it doesn't look like one.
The following 4 users liked this post by Rusti:
Old 25 February 2020, 02:02 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rusti
Shame it doesn't look like one.
Function over form, Android V Apple
Old 25 February 2020, 02:14 PM
Rusti
Scooby Regular

Tesla were late to the party as a car manufacturer and had the opportunity to do whatever they wanted, without any preconceived ideas or rules around brand, heritage etc and they ended up producing something that looks like a Citroen C5. A real shame.

Incidentally both Android or iOS have better battery life

The following 2 users liked this post by Rusti:
Old 25 February 2020, 02:20 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rusti
Tesla were late to the party as a car manufacturer and had the opportunity to do whatever they wanted, without any preconceived ideas or rules around brand, heritage etc and they ended up producing something that looks like a Citroen C5. A real shame.

Incidentally both Android or iOS have better battery life
Late, you mean new car manufacturer. C5 look alike, yeah right
Old 25 February 2020, 04:31 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

More Mazda 6 than Citroen C5

Better battery life than the Sinclair C5 though
The following users liked this post:
Old 25 February 2020, 04:44 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

When haters aren't able to knock the function, they knock the looks
Old 25 February 2020, 07:08 PM
ray54
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by andy97
When haters aren't able to knock the function, they knock the looks

or the sanctimonious owners
Old 25 February 2020, 07:11 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

more money than sence and p1ss poor green credentials, proper con
The following 6 users liked this post by Tidgy:
coupe_20vt, lockheed, Mick, Russell38, Rusti, the shreksta and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 25 February 2020, 07:34 PM
IdonthaveaScooby
Scooby Regular

Is that a raspberry on the front ?
Old 25 February 2020, 07:53 PM
lockheed
Scooby Regular

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Tidgy
more money than sence and p1ss poor green credentials, proper con
I agree the advantages only suit the end user not the environment , from what ive heard the batteries have a massive carbon footprint.
I cant comment on the smugness of the end user but Im working in brighton at the moment and see a lot around kemp town .
Old 25 February 2020, 10:54 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by lockheed
I agree the advantages only suit the end user not the environment , from what ive heard the batteries have a massive carbon footprint.
I cant comment on the smugness of the end user but Im working in brighton at the moment and see a lot around kemp town .
yep, out of sight out of mind and dam everythign else. While EV is prob the furutre, at the min the environmental impact due to the batterys is abismal

If people really want to be green a lightweight small petrol engined car is about as good as it gets. But god forbid they have to give up aircon and that nice leather interior for the environment lol
Old 26 February 2020, 07:36 AM
IdonthaveaScooby
Scooby Regular

What do these people expect to run their electric cars on ???

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.i...346.html%3famp

Old 26 February 2020, 09:07 AM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Unless we suddenly get huge solar farms or dozens of nuclear power stations (no thanks) we’re never going to be able to charge an all electric car revolution.

Youve only got to look at the cost of charging an EV and compare that to your current electricity usage to realise our (already stretched) electricity network is never going to cope with it (I’d guess the supply network would need doubling at least)

I know it’s about efficiency but the charge is still coming from burning fossil fuels (mostly)

I also think if petrol heads are being persecuted then EV’s should be as frugal as possible. Doesn’t anyone else find it bloody stupid that these high performance EV’s are just stupid fast, they do a few drag launches and need charging up again (using fossil fuel) IMO if it’s about the environment it should be about them being as efficient as possible and really nobody needs to go faster than 70mph and accelerate at say 10 sec 0-60 pace (although really doesn’t need to be that fast).

What we need to do is think about reducing the world population, more space, more plants (you know the ones that turn co2 into sugar and oxygen)

But nope, we’re going to keep growing the world population until we’re all crammed into rented boxes, renting EV’s and even our tiny carbon footprint (per head) will mean we’ll be producing more co2 than we are today but with less space and less plants and trees.
Old 26 February 2020, 09:34 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Saw four model X's this morning. a bit unusual seen as they are the top end model
Old 26 February 2020, 09:55 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Unless you're in the national grid and part of the discussion of energy capacity and future supply, then your comments are ignorant. Also attaching every form of electrical charging to fossil fuels again shows your ignorance and bias against EVs. All EVs have immense torque compared to ICE vehicles, thats the perk of electric motors.

​​​​​​A plus side, I agree that population control is required to limit our environmental impact.

So not totally chastised
Originally Posted by jameswrx
Unless we suddenly get huge solar farms or dozens of nuclear power stations (no thanks) we’re never going to be able to charge an all electric car revolution.

Youve only got to look at the cost of charging an EV and compare that to your current electricity usage to realise our (already stretched) electricity network is never going to cope with it (I’d guess the supply network would need doubling at least)

I know it’s about efficiency but the charge is still coming from burning fossil fuels (mostly)

I also think if petrol heads are being persecuted then EV’s should be as frugal as possible. Doesn’t anyone else find it bloody stupid that these high performance EV’s are just stupid fast, they do a few drag launches and need charging up again (using fossil fuel) IMO if it’s about the environment it should be about them being as efficient as possible and really nobody needs to go faster than 70mph and accelerate at say 10 sec 0-60 pace (although really doesn’t need to be that fast).

What we need to do is think about reducing the world population, more space, more plants (you know the ones that turn co2 into sugar and oxygen)

But nope, we’re going to keep growing the world population until we’re all crammed into rented boxes, renting EV’s and even our tiny carbon footprint (per head) will mean we’ll be producing more co2 than we are today but with less space and less plants and trees.
Old 26 February 2020, 11:34 AM
IdonthaveaScooby
Scooby Regular

So where is your leccy going to be coming from ??!

since the rest us are so ignorant

Last edited by IdonthaveaScooby; 26 February 2020 at 11:36 AM.
Old 26 February 2020, 12:36 PM
Mr Fuji
Scooby Regular

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Never mind the carbon footprint, unless someone comes up with some alternative quickly, EV will hit a brick wall because there simply isn't enough cobalt and lithium to allow even a small percentage of ICE cars to be scrapped in favour of them.

And we haven't even touched on the human right s issues around mining this stuff as it's mainly mined from third world countries.

ICE needs to go, but battery cars aren't a viable option unless there is a step change in tech.

That said, I'd have an i8 or Tesla 3S
Old 26 February 2020, 12:40 PM
Rusti
Scooby Regular

Hydrogen is the alternative but just like diesel governments are jumping on the next bandwagon..... EV
Old 26 February 2020, 12:47 PM
Mr Fuji
Scooby Regular

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

The drawbacks of hydrogen use are high carbon emissions intensity when produced from natural gas, capital cost burden, low energy content per unit volume at ambient conditions, production and compression of hydrogen, the investment required in filling stations to dispense hydrogen, transportation of hydrogen to filling stations and lack of ability to produce or dispense hydrogen at home.

it would seem that moving around, unless by foot or bicycle, is inherently bad
Old 26 February 2020, 02:04 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Tesla are under fire about the safety of their Auto-Pilot system.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/25/2...probable-cause

https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/25/2...-crash-hearing

To be fair, this is not just a problem for Tesla, but generally for the Auto industry introducing more and more "Driver Aids" that increasingly offer drivers more safety critical features implemented in software without an update to the relevant software safety standards.

The current MISRA standards were never designed for the level of safety critical features now being added to cars. They need a new set of standards or to adopt the DO-178C standards used in the aerospace industry and also to start developing in a safe programming language like 'Ada' or 'Spark' rather than the ultimate hacker language 'C'!

Tesla are probably the worst though with their Auto-Pilot system which is basically being Beta-Tested on the public!
Old 26 February 2020, 03:36 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

autopilot and a giant iPad for people to fiddle with left handed. Good times!

Old 26 February 2020, 05:56 PM
siluro
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow that is a big price increase. If his sums are right it is cheaper for his situation to run 6 litre V12 (about 5 mins in) than a none Tesla EV.

Last edited by siluro; 26 February 2020 at 05:59 PM.
Old 26 February 2020, 06:08 PM
siluro
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by andy97
Unless you're in the national grid and part of the discussion of energy capacity and future supply, then your comments are ignorant. Also attaching every form of electrical charging to fossil fuels again shows your ignorance and bias against EVs. All EVs have immense torque compared to ICE vehicles, thats the perk of electric motors.

​​​​​​A plus side, I agree that population control is required to limit our environmental impact.

So not totally chastised
Please explain, can the national grid cope with an EV revolution? I live in a terrace house how do we charge our EV's? Or am I off the ball with what you are implying?

Quick Reply: Remember when Subaru drivers would wave at each other