Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Weak kids today

Search this Thread

Old 08 February 2020, 06:54 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Weak kids today

Just had a message with my brother after England v Scotland game " Wish we were both 30 years younger and we could be both be doing this again"

My kids and his kids.,despite our love of sport. I think their idea of agression, sportsmanship, friendship and health...is Candy Crush....

When the hell did kids get so bloody slovenly. I have offered every sport under the sun. Nope. Computer and I phone thanks. Tells me my lazy factor and steps to the biscuit tin . Argh.

Oh well, ex wife can deal with them. lol. I know we look on the past with rose tinted specs. But it was better health wise
Old 08 February 2020, 07:03 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

I played rugby, cricket, hockey, football, basketball, did cross country, all athletics (except a sprint..long distance,lol) badminton,squash, swimming (school captain), table tennis etc etc

My kids do sod all! what is happening with schools? We used to be fighting/competing with other schools all the time! Bloody nothing!

Something wrong somewhere. Don't want a fat computer iphone kid.lol
Old 08 February 2020, 07:40 PM
IdonthaveaScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

Playing fields sold off to developers ?
The following users liked this post:
Old 08 February 2020, 07:42 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

I had the same worries, and I felt I hadn't provided them with the outdoors childhood that I had, but they turn out as active young adults if you you give them enough opportunities/examples. My 21 year old son is way fitter than I was at that age, but I still moan at him on his phone every second, lying in till mid morning when visiting.
They're turn out alright, it's just a different age to what we experienced.
Old 08 February 2020, 11:35 PM
lockheed
Scooby Regular

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

My nephew at 16 yrs is an absolute animal on the rugby field , you would never believe it off the pitch apart from looking like a bulldozer.
Old 10 February 2020, 09:29 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

TV is really quite addictive for children and games these days are far more engrossing than in the past.

As a kid, there was maybe only a couple of hours of kids TV a day and that was your lot, the rest was just boring, so you found something else to do. These days, there are dozens of dedicated kids channels running 24/7 and its easy for parent to get some peace just plonking the kids in front of the telly! I've seen it with friends kids, they just plonk the kids in front of the telly and they are totally mesmerised and sit in some form of silent coma!

The computer games when I was a kid were good fun, but the games were small and came to an end when you lost all your lives. There was only a finite amount of time you could play Tetris or PacMan for before you were bored sh1tless and went out to climb a tree! The games these days are all engrossing, many have no conclusion, you just keep going to infinity!

Parents really have to be careful now about how much screen time they expose their kids to, otherwise we'll end up with a nation of zombies. I've heard one of the reasons why young people are no longer learning to drive is because they can still use their phones when someone else is driving.

A colleague of mine did a great job limiting the screen time of his kids. He gave them a daily budget of 15 minutes on the tablet and allowed them to bank days that they didn't play so they could play for longer. The result is, now they are teenagers, they still prefer to go out to play and regularly play football, go swimming and cycling or do other sports.
Old 11 February 2020, 09:15 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BMWhere?
TV is really quite addictive for children and games these days are far more engrossing than in the past.

As a kid, there was maybe only a couple of hours of kids TV a day and that was your lot, the rest was just boring, so you found something else to do. These days, there are dozens of dedicated kids channels running 24/7 and its easy for parent to get some peace just plonking the kids in front of the telly! I've seen it with friends kids, they just plonk the kids in front of the telly and they are totally mesmerised and sit in some form of silent coma!

The computer games when I was a kid were good fun, but the games were small and came to an end when you lost all your lives. There was only a finite amount of time you could play Tetris or PacMan for before you were bored sh1tless and went out to climb a tree! The games these days are all engrossing, many have no conclusion, you just keep going to infinity!

Parents really have to be careful now about how much screen time they expose their kids to, otherwise we'll end up with a nation of zombies. I've heard one of the reasons why young people are no longer learning to drive is because they can still use their phones when someone else is driving.

A colleague of mine did a great job limiting the screen time of his kids. He gave them a daily budget of 15 minutes on the tablet and allowed them to bank days that they didn't play so they could play for longer. The result is, now they are teenagers, they still prefer to go out to play and regularly play football, go swimming and cycling or do other sports.
Great post