Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What you doing next Friday?

Search this Thread

Old 25 January 2020, 06:43 AM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts
Default What you doing next Friday?

You treating it as a normal day or partying or crying?

I think it will just be a normal Friday and nothing will feel any different and neither will the next 50 years.

Might have a German takeaway though instead of the usual Friday Chinese
Old 25 January 2020, 07:17 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

I will be at work as usual,nothing changes for me
Old 25 January 2020, 10:07 AM
siluro
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

At least it will be done one way or another. No change for me either. As it happens for my company it has gave us loads of work. We do the packaging for some large international companies and they have been getting their packaging ready for this mess.
Old 25 January 2020, 11:15 AM
IdonthaveaScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

It would be intresting to hear what brexiteers are actaully celebrating
Old 27 January 2020, 09:17 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

I'll be celebrating the start of the campaign to re-join the EU
The following users liked this post:
Old 27 January 2020, 01:53 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by the shreksta
I will be at work as usual,nothing changes for me

Me too....Do any of those protesters down in London (be it in/out/XR) work for a living?
The following users liked this post:
Old 27 January 2020, 04:04 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Why what's happening that directly impacts on British folk. Ive got a dozen bottles of Veuve Clicquot to pop, along with £10k laser display show.

Its what's we do every Friday evening
The following 3 users liked this post by andy97:
Old 27 January 2020, 04:14 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-51271287

Well, at least Big Ben won't be bonging for the Brexiteers
Old 27 January 2020, 04:19 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo

The resulting position of the UK not being in the EU come February is more than enough of a reward
The following 2 users liked this post by andy97:
Old 27 January 2020, 04:44 PM
IdonthaveaScooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy97
Why what's happening that directly impacts on British folk. Ive got a dozen bottles of Veuve Clicquot to pop, along with £10k laser display show.

Its what's we do every Friday evening

plenty of uncertainy for cancer patients on the costas
Old 27 January 2020, 04:56 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Why what's happening that directly impacts on British folk.
For one, I'll be losing my right to live an work in Germany. They won't be sending me home, but I will now have a **** load of paperwork to fill out over the next three months to keep me legal here! The same is true for the other 3 Million Brits who live and work in the EU, many of whom won't have been here long enough to guarantee their status.

So, you're welcome to celebrate Brexit if you want, but don't think that nobody is directly affected by it!
Old 27 January 2020, 05:25 PM
Mr Fuji
Scooby Regular

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Andy is in the minority of Brits who will benefit directly for his business, he doesn't care about the rest of them

Old 27 January 2020, 05:27 PM
IdonthaveaScooby
Scooby Regular

If youre rich enough of course like Andy ( or rather he'd like us to believe so ) you can just bet on what happens either way and lose nothing

for everyother business owner the next year is going to be horrible as far as i can see if you export to europe
Old 28 January 2020, 04:05 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I will be in a German pub in Germany drinking German beer.
Old 28 January 2020, 05:01 PM
siluro
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BMWhere?
For one, I'll be losing my right to live an work in Germany. They won't be sending me home, but I will now have a **** load of paperwork to fill out over the next three months to keep me legal here! The same is true for the other 3 Million Brits who live and work in the EU, many of whom won't have been here long enough to guarantee their status.

So, you're welcome to celebrate Brexit if you want, but don't think that nobody is directly affected by it!
You cannot please everyone all of the time only some some of the time in a democracy. The voters spoke.
The following 2 users liked this post by siluro:
Old 28 January 2020, 05:05 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by IdonthaveaScooby
plenty of uncertainy for cancer patients on the costas
I understand there is only a limited time for free health care. If you WORK and contribute to the Spanish social care system you get medical cover, else private insurance is required.
Old 28 January 2020, 05:18 PM
SouthWalesSam
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Nothing on Friday, but I'll be busy Saturday signing up to the campaign for Britain to join the EU.
Old 28 January 2020, 07:31 PM
Russell38
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthWalesSam
Nothing on Friday, but I'll be busy Saturday signing up to the campaign for Britain to join the EU.
Good luck on that one
Old 28 January 2020, 07:47 PM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I visited friends and family in Japan recently. Not one person who raised the subject (and there were many) could see a positive.
The Japanese are very intuitive when it comes to assessing something potentially good or bad.
Old 29 January 2020, 07:47 AM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

#ViolenceInPolitics
I will be roaming the streets of our town centre with a 12-bore, giving both barrels to anyone who even vaguely looks like a Brexiteer out celebrating.
It's for the good of the country, obviously, I'll take no personal pleasure in it at all.
Old 29 January 2020, 07:53 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by siluro
You cannot please everyone all of the time only some some of the time in a democracy. The voters spoke.
Those who were permitted to vote! Brexit directly affects me, yet I wasn't permitted to vote!
Old 29 January 2020, 11:03 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Those who were permitted to vote! Brexit directly affects me, yet I wasn't permitted to vote!
You have effectively emigrated to Germany. You have forfeited your right to vote by setting up home in Germany for many years.

Like I said what is happening to impact British folk, that means the average man women, child living in the UK, not elsewhere.

Reduced controlled immigration will be a block on low skilled entering Britain. This will force companies to pay better wages for the British population

Investing in the UK

Last edited by andy97; 29 January 2020 at 12:07 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by andy97:
Old 29 January 2020, 12:31 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

You have effectively emigrated to Germany. You have forfeited your right to vote by setting up home in Germany for many years.

Like I said what is happening to impact British folk, that means the average man women, child living in the UK, not elsewhere.

Reduced controlled immigration will be a block on low skilled entering Britain. This will force companies to pay better wages for the British population

Investing in the UK
I'm still British, own property in the UK, still pay some taxes in the UK. The conservatives promised to reinstate my right to vote before holding the referendum, but as usual broke their promise! Just because a choose to live and work in Germany, that doesn't mean I cut all ties to my home country!

As for blocking low skilled labour, that will only lead to a shortage of low skilled workers as British consider themselves too entitled to do menial work. Sure the wages will rise, but it will still be immigrant workers and the biggest change will be you can't get a plumber for blood or money and if you can get one, you;ll need to take out a mortgage to pay them. It was the same problem back in the late 80's/early 90's when the impact of entitled generations started hitting the low skill worker supply chain.
Old 30 January 2020, 12:57 AM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Celebrating... got my commemorative T-Shirt for the big occasion

- I've been waiting for this for 30 years - sorry to those who wanted to stay part of the club - but I can't imagine too many who voted Remain would have been conciliatory to those who wanted to leave if the majority had gone the other way...
The following 3 users liked this post by Mick:
Old 30 January 2020, 02:37 AM
IdonthaveaScooby
Scooby Regular

And yet we never even adopted the euro !
Old 30 January 2020, 07:15 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

I'm still British, own property in the UK, still pay some taxes in the UK. The conservatives promised to reinstate my right to vote before holding the referendum, but as usual broke their promise! Just because a choose to live and work in Germany, that doesn't mean I cut all ties to my home country!

As for blocking low skilled labour, that will only lead to a shortage of low skilled workers as British consider themselves too entitled to do menial work. Sure the wages will rise, but it will still be immigrant workers and the biggest change will be you can't get a plumber for blood or money and if you can get one, you;ll need to take out a mortgage to pay them. It was the same problem back in the late 80's/early 90's when the impact of entitled generations started hitting the low skill worker supply chain.
Im not saying you're not British, but you lost certain entitlements by setting up home in another country.

There will need to be a shakeup of certain folk if they want to prosper. This country needs to invest in British people and education for the new direction
Old 30 January 2020, 07:17 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by IdonthaveaScooby
And yet we never even adopted the euro !
The best and lucky decision not to join. Its been an unmitigated disaster for most, apart from Germany which has boomed with it
Old 30 January 2020, 07:45 AM
IdonthaveaScooby
Scooby Regular

There will need to be a shakeup of certain folk if they want to prosper. This country needs to invest in British people and education for the new direction

presumably you mean force people to work for their dole money
The following 2 users liked this post by IdonthaveaScooby:
Old 30 January 2020, 07:53 AM
IdonthaveaScooby
Scooby Regular

EU members Still hold positive views towards the institution

https://www.pewresearch.org/global/2...uropean-union/
Old 30 January 2020, 08:12 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Im not saying you're not British, but you lost certain entitlements by setting up home in another country.
Actually, when I left, there was no limit for voting, it was the last Labour government that brought in the 15 year law. The Conservatives promised to repeal the law before the Brexit vote and won the election on that manifesto promise, but failed to deliver! I have lost no other entitlements as a British citizen living abroad and I don't accept giving up my right to vote, particularly in a referendum which directly affects me!

I agree with this 100%, but that is nothing that couldn't have been done while remaining in the EU. Its been the UK's decision not to invest in its own people and infrastructure. At least now there is no hiding place for the failing politicians, for too long the EU has been used as a scapegoat for all the problems in the UK, from now on they can't blame the EU!

The best and lucky decision not to join. Its been an unmitigated disaster for most, apart from Germany which has boomed with it
Really? So you don't remember the UK in the 70's then? The UK has absolutely boomed since it joined the EU! All those Japanese car manufacturers only set up in the UK because we were in the EU. Before we joined we were pretty much bankrupt and and heading rapidly downhill. Within 20 years we'd turned it all around to become one of the strongest economies in the world!

You think Ireland hasn't massively benefited from EU membership? I've been to Poland and the Czech Republic before and after their membership and the difference there is immense, they have massively benefited from membership. Talk to any Spanish person, they may be very unhappy with their domestic politics, but they'll all tell you the EU has been great for them. Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg are all aware about how much they have benefited since they started it all off with BeNeLux

I would argue that every single country has benefited from EU membership, its only in the countries like the UK where the EU has been used as the scapegoat for domestic failings, that public opinion sees the EU as a failure, but public opinion and reality are not the same thing!

Quick Reply: What you doing next Friday?