Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

BMW - what an utterly useless outfit...

Search this Thread

Old 12 May 2019, 07:21 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMW - what an utterly useless outfit...

My 530d had a recall for exhaust gas cooler inspection and replacement if needed, I got a letter about this at the turn of the year, and made my appointment with the dealer in January, to be advised the car couldn't be booked in until May. It wasn't showing any symptoms of a fault, so I wasn't at all concerned, although BMW are pitching this as a safety recall. Car went in on Thursday, was inspected, and cracks were found which are the early indications of the cooler failing. I was given a courtesy car, and expected my car to be good to go within a few days. When I called on Friday to check on progress, I was told it would be some time - when I asked the dealer to quantify that, they told me it could be up to 12 weeks.

I go a little concerned about this, as the car I was provided with as a courtesy car, is a Nissan Qashqai from a local hire car company - I explained that I bought a 530d for its load carrying capacity, and need a large estate car, without being precious about brands or models, I would have been happy with anything of equivalent boot space, but can't work with a small car in the long term. Then came the first statement which really pissed me off - apparently neither BMW or their dealerships are obliged to offer a hire car while mine if off their road and this is a gesture of good will. When I told them I needed someone to apply some common sense to the situation, they advised that is not possible, and they must stick to their procedures. Then came the statement that caused me to totally loss the plot with them - because my own car is outside warranty, they would only allow £30 per day to cover the cost of a hire car, if I had a newer car, and within warranty, they could perhaps have done something for me.

Every time I speak to the totally useless c*nts at BMW UK, they refuse to escalate my complaint, and three times on Friday, they hung up on me.

Moral of the story, if your motor is awaiting this recall - I wouldn't book it in unless your dealer has the part on the shelf to repair it. If they find symptoms of premature failure, they claim it is a safety defect and will not release your car without you signing a "holds harmless" disclaimer, that you accept liability for any fault caused to you engine related to thermal damage. Secondly, BMW customer service is some of the worst I have ever encountered, they really could not give a flying f*ck about their customer, the females in their call centres are worse than the guys, they are curt, ignorant and arrogant, I have no idea who they are serving, but it sure as hell isn't their customer - this recall is a logistical mess, it is an absolute cluster, there is a global shortage of parts, and seems to be no urgency to ramping up production or distribution of coolers.

It was highly tempting on Friday to side step the clutch pedal and put their loan car through the front window of their showroom - although I'm not so sure a 1.3 Qashqai would have enough acceleration to do any real damage, it was only the fear of looking like a complete t**t just bouncing off a plate glass window with a Qashqai revving its nuts off at WOT that put me off that idea!!!!

Last edited by tarmac terror; 12 May 2019 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12 May 2019, 07:51 PM
peter zippy reid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I was one of the lucky ones as mine passed the check theres guys on fb page without their cars for four-five months
Old 12 May 2019, 09:31 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

There's a ton of BMWs in Northern Ireland have been taken in for a recall when they knowingly don't have the parts (shortage as there is so many).
The owners are in your exact position , hire cars nowhere near the same as their BMWs , that's if they get one at all.
Without their car for weeks/months.
Old 13 May 2019, 01:08 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

https://www.facebook.com/pages/BMW-G...83395515018489

Looks like a common issue (the crap customer service, not the specific issue you have)
Old 13 May 2019, 01:37 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Calculate the depreciation on your vehicle over the time they have held it and submit them an invoice to the value. Their fault and recall shouldn't be your loss.
Old 13 May 2019, 01:57 PM
silver-sub
Scooby Regular

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Sounds like a nightmare.
My old 1 series turbo failed and the car was out of warranty but BMW replaced the turbo as a good will gesture. Cost was about £1500!
Old 13 May 2019, 02:17 PM
SouthWalesSam
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Try contacting one of the major car mags like Car or Evo.

They seem to get more response when they pick up these issues with the manufacturer than individual customers do.

I drive a new BM but I managed to get mine on my drive without having to step into a showroom or having to deal with BMW directly.

Thankfully.
Old 13 May 2019, 04:12 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

My Subaru dealer has a like for like policy and use their own new/used car pool rather than hire cars. So if I take my STI in, they give me an STI as a replacement, although they often ask me if I would like to try something else - I'm always keen to take the BRZ for a spin or I've also taken Legacy or Forester if I know I'm going to need the space. Although in reality, they only ever have my car for half a day for the routine service because nothing every really goes wrong with it. The reason I've stuck with Subaru for over 20 years now is because they are incredibly reliable and I get great customer service from my dealer.
Old 13 May 2019, 04:42 PM
Sad Weevil
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

It seems the BMW lawyers are overreacting a bit by inspecting the cars and taking them off the road if faulty. The Takata air bag recall is surely a safety issue too, but the Subaru dealer won't book you in unless he has the bits. No one has died through this course of action, as far as I'm aware.
I took my BP Outback to the dealer in Abergavenny for the air bag recall a few months ago, and spent the day in the Beacons in a brand new 2.0 XV they had ready for me, something I would never have cause to drive (it was quite good, actually). Great service.
Old 16 May 2019, 05:11 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

My 63 plate X3 30D was in for 6 weeks but my dealer gave me a 68 plate 530D touring with 30 miles on the clock so I was more than happy.
Old 16 May 2019, 08:43 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

I had a Jagaur XKR and got and F type as courtesy..

I now have a Porsche and got a ***** Merc c class diesel as courtesy

Things could be worse.
Old 16 May 2019, 09:44 PM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Bmw are ****e. Friend of mine m3 broke on a track day to be told the m3 he bought with track kit fitted invalidate the warrenty if used on track
Old 18 May 2019, 10:50 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mr Harald KruegerCEO

EmailHarald.Krueger@bmw.de
Old 18 May 2019, 10:07 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Thanks all - Dealership have done their best to resolve - the service manager is taking an active interest in the **** poor service and disdainful attitude of the customer support staff at BMW.

Have email with Graeme Grieve already (MD @ BMW UK), if that doesn't get responded to, or if the response is lack lustre, Mr Krueger will be used as an escalation point - thanks Pimmo.

Dealership have thrown me the keys to a brand new G31 530d (300 miles on it) and put my wife on cover to drive it. I genuinely think they are working to retain their customers, and are also feeling the lack of support and communication from BMW UK on this.

G31 is a lovely car - its a little bit skippy on uneven B roads when pressing on, but is a great motor. Has won me over from thinking heads up displays are just a gimmick, but I can live without the ability to adjust the colour of the interior accent lighting - that really is just a gimmick!
Old 21 May 2019, 11:03 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Quick final update on this one - dealership returned my car to me today with new EGR cooler installed. No noticeable difference in the car, but good to know it is sorted. No response yet from BMW UK, will give them a few more days, it shouldn't take longer to deal with a complaint than it does to source a part and effect a repair.

Reluctantly handed back the G31 - kids were sad to loose all the fun stuff from the new motor - but it has got me thinking about changing