Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

tv license fee - rip off?

Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2002, 10:13 AM
MrDBM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone else think that the time of the £100+ TV License is over???

it's a total rip-off paying £9 a month to watch Dad's Army repeats and listen to pants radio...

for £12 a month, Sky give you 200 channels, digital radio, interactive TV, music channels, movies... - I think the difference is that you can see where you money goes - back into the services to make them better.

bbc - pants. only in the UK could we be made to have a LICENSE for watching the telly... what would you rather have - a few ads on the beeb, or a ton in your pocket???

sorry, rant over - just wanted to know if my opinion is shared?
Old 17 June 2002, 10:22 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Thumbs down

I agree. With everything moving towards digital television, the licence fee should be dropped. Even if it means advertising on the BBC I think it should go. I resent paying it.
Old 17 June 2002, 10:29 AM
Kippax
Scooby Regular

Arrow

DBM,

Sorry mate but most of that commercial bollox you refer to is f*ckin' rubbish. The BBC is pure British quality and should stay that way.

Stu.
Old 17 June 2002, 10:44 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Angry

I also object to paying for the BBC. I only watch programs on BBC every few weeks. So I'm paying a fortune for each program I watch. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Also, long films on BBC don't have adverts, which are convenient for going to the loo/getting another beer/flicking through the other channels etc.
Old 17 June 2002, 11:23 AM
MrDBM
Scooby Regular

stu,

'pure british quality' - yeak okay, some of the stuff is, you're right - but there are just so many repeats - not enough original stuff. i would rather pay £9 per month just for Sky One!

it's the lack of choice really, i mean look at the movies that the beeb show, anything up to and including 10 years old, repeated many times...

as for sports coverage quality, admittedly the beeb is way ahead of ITV, but lagging so far behind Sky it's unreal, a little like an MG behind a Scoob (sorry, couldn't resist that one!)
Old 17 June 2002, 11:26 AM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

Angry

BBC is quality.

You get 2 excellent TV stations, 6 national radio stations, umpteen local radio station.

And no annoying adverts.

For what ? £8 a month. Bargain.
Old 17 June 2002, 11:27 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I think you should have the option of not paying and not watching. Whatever happened to freedom of choice....you have a TV, it is capable of receiving the BBC, therefore we will charge you for it so we can send people off to holiday resorts on your behalf and pay for lots of arty farty dancers inbetween programmes.

AND I thought the BBC didn't advertise....what are all these adverts for their own programmes inbetween other programmes? Look like bleedin' adverts to me! Sooner they get rid of Eastbenders as well the better [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Hardly watch BBC these days, or ITV, in fact very little TV at all. Most of it's dire. Only go for films and the odd programme of interest.

Steve (old before my time )
Old 17 June 2002, 11:35 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can see how the BBC spend your license fee here.

I think it's the lack of choice that get's up peoples noses, especially when you have to pay even if you never watch the channels or listen to the radio.

In fact, if you just listened to the radio you wouldn't have to even pay the license.

I have cable TV and I already get BBC1, BBC2 and the radio stations on that service. Why can't this cost be merged into the subscription I already pay for the digital channels?

That would make it easier to swallow IMHO.

Stefan
Old 17 June 2002, 11:53 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

David B,

I only watch TV about once every month and never listen to any BBC radio stations. I am therefore paying £9 per program (if I even watch a BBC program!). I may be the exception, but it still gauls me that I watch so little TV but still have to fork out the same as some couch potato that spend 8 hours a day in front of the box. I seriously considered getting rid of the TV on principle to avoid paying the licence fee. Then I got a PS2...

[Edited by Jerome - 6/17/2002 11:54:37 AM]
Old 17 June 2002, 11:55 AM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

Talking

Just looked at their chart - did they really only spend £290 on radio?
Old 17 June 2002, 12:09 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy

I agree that if you dont want to watch tv and say only want to watch videos, play playstaion etc then you should not have to pay thats all I use my tv for
Old 17 June 2002, 12:13 PM
uncle buck
Scooby Regular

Talking

"BBC is quality." - that's a laugh!!
Old 17 June 2002, 12:28 PM
Jerry*
Scooby Regular

Angry

BBC = Quality ???

Ahem.. Tosh !!

They are rapidly becoming very out of date when compared to Sky. Can't ba arsed with their crappy period dramas and murder mysteries, and I hate soaps so it annoys me that I have to pay for it when I watch it less and less.

The main thing that annoys me is that the Beeb are the Labour Party's big propaganda outlet !! The Beeb tell it how Tony wants you to hear it, and that ain't good !!

You should be able to subscribe to what channels you want and not be told that you have to pay £100 plus for them to waste.

Radio ain't much better either... but we covered that in the Sara *** thread a few weeks back...
Old 17 June 2002, 12:36 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Don't forget, while the BBC gets most of the licence fee, some of it does go to the commercial stations too.
Old 17 June 2002, 12:57 PM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

What's the most popular TV show - EastEnders.
What's the most listened to radio station - BBC Radio 2

While you guys may not watch BBC channels or listen to BBC radio, there's no denying that they're the most popular.

And for anyone who has lived overseas, the BBC worldservice is excellent.
Old 17 June 2002, 01:00 PM
uncle buck
Scooby Regular

Talking

eat ****!!

20 million flies can't be wrong

[Edited by uncle buck - 6/17/2002 1:01:03 PM]
Old 17 June 2002, 01:46 PM
MrDBM
Scooby Regular

for me Sky oozes quality, the technology of Sky News and Sky Sports is excellent, having movies and music on tap is great - if you want box office, it's there at the touch of a button - best of all? - choice, you pay for what you watch, and watch what you want... that's quality in my book.
Old 17 June 2002, 01:49 PM
Kippax
Scooby Regular

Angry

Commercial radio is for plonkers. Anyone who can bear the same annoying adverts 50 times a day needs their head testing. Key 103 in Manchester played an REM track 3 times a day for 10 f*cking years. Absolute sh*te. ITV had Uri Gella on telling the veiwers to touch the screen to heal beckhams foot. Bollox. Them double glazing adverts saying you get the back of the house done for free when really you just pay double for the front. They think were c*nts.
Old 17 June 2002, 02:20 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Stu

I agree with you. I'm proud to be British and have the BBC.

David
Old 17 June 2002, 03:00 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Angry

Three problems for me
  • The BBC advertise all their own poxy products between programmes anyway so why not just sell this advertising space to subsidise the license fee
  • You are able to wach the BBC in many countries internationally where they clearly don't pay the license so we are expected to subsidise them.
  • If they want to claim they are a British institution looking after the nation's interests then they should spend all the money on covering matters of national interest such as all major sporting events and lose the puffy high budget period dramas.
Old 17 June 2002, 03:14 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Some ponts:

Sky is so 'developed' its not even widescreen on its main Sky 1 channel!

Sky pic quality (espec the minor channels) is like lego bricks due to crap bitrate.

BBC are mad if they think the poncy dancers station idents are a new national brand - barking!

I already pay Sky/Telewest for crap (UK Gold 2, Paramount Comedy, UKFood) that I never watch, but am happier to pay the Beeb similarly for stuff I dont watch (Antiques Roadshow or CBeebies & CBBC) as their production values are always higher - money goes on screen and not in backpockets.

BBC has the highest production values outside USA syndicated progs. It is a unique sevice and should be kept as so in the increasingly purely profit driven and unstable TV production world.

Old 17 June 2002, 03:21 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Go to the states for a week, come back and tell me that you'd rather have that system.

Dagnabit, I'm proud of the BBC and the way in which it's funded. There's new programmes that are worth watching, good reporting, good investigative journalism, a wide range of subjects that don't just try to appeal to the mass market... Plus great radio, great choice, and NO ADVERTS!

The Beeb should not and cannot be privatised. It would destroy the whole system. British Rail, anyone?

I hardly watch ITV. Just doesn't have much going for it to make up for the sodding adverts.

Rule Brittania, etc. Gonna have to disagree with this one
Old 17 June 2002, 03:41 PM
MrDBM
Scooby Regular

the beeb's not THAT bad - but c'mon - a ton a year for it??? what kind of economics is that!?!?

it's a choice factor for me - i'd rather pay £9 a month for something like FILMFOUR, which is way better than watching the beeb pants ann day.
Old 17 June 2002, 07:10 PM
Luke
BANNED

Are we the only nation in europe who have to pay???????

For those who think our TV is bad...... go try the rest!!!!!!
Old 17 June 2002, 07:30 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

tv on the whole is sh1te but the quality & production is the best in the world, or maybe its just too boring/straight compared to the rest. we may only have 5channels, but 5channels of crap is better than 10-100 channels of crap.
Just thank God we only have one "the weakest link/millionare" & not several versions as they have in Europe.
Old 17 June 2002, 09:09 PM
Kippax
Scooby Regular

Arrow

"The BBC advertise all their own poxy products between programmes anyway so why not just sell this advertising space to subsidise the license fee". Because then it would be as lame as ITV

"You are able to watch the BBC in many countries internationally where they clearly don't pay the license". That's because it's quality and if they want to learn our language and watch our TV in preference to their own then good on them
Old 17 June 2002, 09:56 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

I dont watch much on the beeb other than Neighbours cos flicks in it However as Chiark says - try US TV and you'll feel a lot better. For example Friends starts after a set of adverts and u see the 1 min or so clip before the music, more adverts, then opening music then another 3-4 in the 25 min episode before the end scene, then more adverts and you end up coming back to see the music/credits before going back to adverts.

I listen to Radio 1 a lot when travelling as everything else half decent loses reception. 5 live is awesome for footy.

There is no doubt Sky have moved on a lot and I love Sky One and E4 with all their reality tv shows and sitcoms but the beeb has its place and I have no issue paying the measly amount for a TV licence.
Old 17 June 2002, 10:32 PM
SiCotty
Scooby Regular

One word "Spooks"

The BBC is unique, keep the license fee which is bloody good value for £8 a month.

Si
Old 17 June 2002, 11:42 PM
cement man
Scooby Regular

And the BBC can show 2hr's of F1 racing with out a bloody break every 8min's.
PS i like dads army!
Old 18 June 2002, 12:22 AM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

yeah that pisses me off, thats why i dont watch it anymore & plus im beginning to find it boring.

The best thing on tv has to be C4 Films - nuff said

Quick Reply: tv license fee - rip off?