Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Febrile Seizures

Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2018, 06:39 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Febrile Seizures

Has anyone here had this happen with their kids?

A week ago my 11 month old had a fever (turns out this was from a nasty ear infection.) We started giving medication our pediatrician advized; alternating Motrin (Ibuprofen) and Tylenol (paracetamol) doses every 2 to 3 hours to bring down the fever.

Whilst doing a diaper change he started seizing by shaking and then going stiff for more than 5 minutes and lost consciousness. We called 911 as his fever got to over 103f and out came the first responders. We opted to take our boy to the ER ourselves and save the $5k bill - at kids ER they diagnosed an ear infection and we got antibiotics and continued to give Motrin and Tylenol as advised.

Scary as hell but he is better now and back to his cheerful wee self.

Question is, has anyone else encountered this and then found that their child had more of these seizures? The doctors here said that if your child is susceptible to these then they may continue to have them 'til the age of 6, but that it is normal and usually not a sign of anything worse going on - just try to get ahead of any fever and not let it get too high.

Anyone have similar stories or advice to add?
Old 28 July 2018, 07:22 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

We have had it a few times with ours and quite a few times with people at work. Its usually a case that the child has over heated as its hypothalamus is not developed enough yet to cool them down - once they start to go into a fit, remove clothing and take them somewhere cool (outside) and they will come too quite quickly.

Most parents think wrapping the child up when they have a fever is the right thing to do, but its not the case as they can over heat.
Old 29 July 2018, 02:57 AM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Thanks Felix. Yeah, we cooled him off by stripping him down and then using cool flannels and a lukewarm bath. Not much else we could do as it's summer and outside was 43c - for example it's nearly 9pm now and it's 32c out! Bloody air conditioning failed the next day too and had to get someone out for that!

For you has it happened every time yours has had a fever?
Old 29 July 2018, 08:22 AM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Not every time, but certainly a few times when they had a fever
Old 29 July 2018, 12:44 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

My daughter had a fever went to dr’s they jabbed her with the mmr jab instead of prescribing her anything by night she was having seizures and ended up with meningitis which has left her unable to talk walk or do anything for herself she is 15 now and a very happy child but the seizures do get triggered by pain,fever or infections..

Then my son ended up with an infection after the first mmr jab his fever wouldn’t go downwent to hospital came back fine, I questioned the mmr jab and they said it wasn’t that,
few weeks later his next jab five mins after it and he stopped breathing and when coming back he was having seizures he was left brain damaged and can’t wLk or talk but can sit up, they tested the whole family for 5 years and all the tests came back fine but they still wouldn’t admit it was the mmr jab that did it, he doesn’t even have a condition so they call it GLOBAL DEVELOPMENT DELAY! no enclosure for us till this day only regret that we shouldn’t have gone for the second jab.blaming ourselves ....
he is ten now and suffers from various DIFFRENT types of seizures every day all types of things as pain,fever or 8nfections set it off.
we make the most of each day and play with the cards we are dealt with there are alwAys people worse off out there.
just my 20pence worth...
Old 30 July 2018, 07:53 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ZANY
My daughter had a fever went to dr’s they jabbed her with the mmr jab instead of prescribing her anything by night she was having seizures and ended up with meningitis which has left her unable to talk walk or do anything for herself she is 15 now and a very happy child but the seizures do get triggered by pain,fever or infections..

Then my son ended up with an infection after the first mmr jab his fever wouldn’t go downwent to hospital came back fine, I questioned the mmr jab and they said it wasn’t that,
few weeks later his next jab five mins after it and he stopped breathing and when coming back he was having seizures he was left brain damaged and can’t wLk or talk but can sit up, they tested the whole family for 5 years and all the tests came back fine but they still wouldn’t admit it was the mmr jab that did it, he doesn’t even have a condition so they call it GLOBAL DEVELOPMENT DELAY! no enclosure for us till this day only regret that we shouldn’t have gone for the second jab.blaming ourselves ....
he is ten now and suffers from various DIFFRENT types of seizures every day all types of things as pain,fever or 8nfections set it off.
we make the most of each day and play with the cards we are dealt with there are alwAys people worse off out there.
just my 20pence worth...
Oh my word, Zany. That sounds incredibly tough on your whole family - you guys can't blame yourselves, you would never know that your kids have a sensitivity to whatever was in the jabs or whatever else may have caused them to get sick.

So weird that your daughter was given an MMR jab instead of treatment for her fever or whatever was causing it.

All of that must have been terrifying - as you say, we are thankful for anything we have and it is so nice to hear that you have such a pragmatic outlook on things. Some could get caught up in the negativity too much and let it poison them. As it were.

All the best to your family, Zany.

Our wee man seems to have been OK since the weekend and he finished the last dose of antibiotics today. Anytime he is sad/moody we are always checking his temperature now, we may as well have our thermometer in a hip holster! Don't want to be helicopter parents though. This parenting malarky is tough!