Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Boycotting major petrol stations

Search this Thread

Old 19 July 2018, 10:21 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Boycotting major petrol stations

I've had enough. At the very best 10p a litre more than supermarket petrol stations. Unless I'm utterly desperate, Shell etc can sod off.

Don't tell me they can't match them. Flipping ridiculous now. Seems to be every major garage. Why do we even use them?

Paid 12p a litre less at Tesco this morning
Old 19 July 2018, 10:53 PM
scoobypaul_temp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lozgti1
I've had enough. At the very best 10p a litre more than supermarket petrol stations. Unless I'm utterly desperate, Shell etc can sod off.

Don't tell me they can't match them. Flipping ridiculous now. Seems to be every major garage. Why do we even use them?

Paid 12p a litre less at Tesco this morning
Funny enough, was thinking the same when I filled up with Shell V Power 2 days ago - 141.9 a litre here (and has been for quite a while) might have to see what Tesco super is
Old 19 July 2018, 11:02 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

£1.44.9 here
Old 19 July 2018, 11:06 PM
scoobypaul_temp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
£1.44.9 here
Where are you bud?
Old 19 July 2018, 11:08 PM
Jon T
Scooby Regular

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Filled up with v power tonight. £144.9 also
Old 19 July 2018, 11:18 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobypaul_temp
Where are you bud?
West Cornwall, same up near Plymouth
Old 19 July 2018, 11:35 PM
scoobypaul_temp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
West Cornwall, same up near Plymouth
Ouch! We were down in Padstow during May half term, and diesel was certainly cheaper down there than it was in MK.

Trending Topics

Old 20 July 2018, 07:26 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

https://www.petrolprices.com/
Old 20 July 2018, 07:28 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

https://www.ons.gov.uk/visualisation...rt2/index.html
Old 20 July 2018, 07:33 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Get an electric car for commuting, save a fortune in fuel costs and no emissions from the vehicle. New Nissan 2019 Leaf, 220 mile range has just been announced
Old 20 July 2018, 07:40 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Emissions left at the power station instead , probably France
Old 20 July 2018, 08:15 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo

Originally Posted by dpb
Emissions left at the power station instead , probably France
Except your argument falls down when more electricity is being generated by renewables or zero emission sources. Also bear in mind this electricity is already being generated whether there was a load, as its overnight and turbines must keep generating. So load is negligible and non surging.

The UK's remaining 8 coal fired power stations are already being phased out and most will close by 2022, all by 2025.
Old 20 July 2018, 08:49 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jon T
Filled up with v power tonight. £144.9 also
Thats nuts.
We don't get v power and the likes in N.Ireland.
I got super unleaded last night, 1.31 in Sainsburys
Originally Posted by andy97
Get an electric car for commuting, save a fortune in fuel costs and no emissions from the vehicle. New Nissan 2019 Leaf, 220 mile range has just been announced
Said before, and also get a brown paper bag, cut a couple of holes in the front so you can see, and stick it over your head so no one recognises its you in the pig ugly car

Last edited by urban; 20 July 2018 at 08:50 AM.
Old 20 July 2018, 08:55 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

In France, the government is looking into why motorway services charge €0.20 a litre more than roadside garages and €0.25 more than supermarkets.
Old 20 July 2018, 09:02 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

No emissions, pah, you see how polluting they are to make?

biggest con going at the min
Old 20 July 2018, 09:03 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
In France, the government is looking into why motorway services charge €0.20 a litre more than roadside garages and €0.25 more than supermarkets.
it's not exactly rocket science why. Because they can, people need fuel as they travel long distance and they wont know stations off the motorway so are forced to fill up.
Old 20 July 2018, 09:10 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
No emissions, pah, you see how polluting they are to make?

biggest con going at the min
You can say that about all vehicle manufacturing, they rape the world of resources to make them.

EV pollute considerably less than other vehicles and are are a damn sight cheaper to run on a daily basis.
Old 20 July 2018, 09:20 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobypaul_temp
Ouch! We were down in Padstow during May half term, and diesel was certainly cheaper down there than it was in MK.
tesco is alot cheaper down here, but not Shell
Old 20 July 2018, 09:49 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

You can say that about all vehicle manufacturing, they rape the world of resources to make them.

EV pollute considerably less than other vehicles and are are a damn sight cheaper to run on a daily basis.
uh, no they don't. have you ever looked at the mine to road figures? they are horrendus. Even taking into account whole life cycle including petrol use then if you want to be green a small engine'd petrol is a far better option.

Not to mention your shoving your emissions onto someone else
Old 20 July 2018, 10:31 AM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Motorway Service Stations are absolute rob dogs - how they justify the massive price difference when they are probably the easiest places in the country to deliver fuel too....

Its pure exploitative greed/captive market.

the most expensive petrol I've ever bought in my life was on the M6 Toll Services!!!

BASTIDS!
Old 20 July 2018, 10:33 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

it's not exactly rocket science why. Because they can, people need fuel as they travel long distance and they wont know stations off the motorway so are forced to fill up.

Just laziness on the part of drivers: there are apps and satnav that show you where cheap fuel is to be found. Last time I refilled on a motorway in this country or abroad was over ten years ago.
Old 20 July 2018, 10:37 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

uh, no they don't. have you ever looked at the mine to road figures? they are horrendus. Even taking into account whole life cycle including petrol use then if you want to be green a small engine'd petrol is a far better option.

Plus, folk all go on about renewables. Seen the cost of making, installing etc the wind farms? And the energy used to make and install?

Pure con.
Some will be conned, most will not.

An interesting site is Greenwatch. When they were trumpeting that we were solely using energy from renewables in the UK one day last year, they conveniently "forgot" to state how much was being bought in from abroad...

And renewables are all heavily subsidised by the tax payer.
Old 20 July 2018, 10:47 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I went to Donnington last month, filled up at Blackburn services £1.37, and then refilled on the way back up M6 at Stoke services £1.47 - Around £5 difference for a tank load.

Both garages were Shell, so I Googled why the prices so much - simple answer is some garages are franchised where Shell have no hold over the station for pricing. The rest of the difference in my opinion is demographic and geographic.
Old 20 July 2018, 11:07 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Tidgy is absolutely correct. The environmental costs of producing the batteries for EV's is horrendous, and then even worse given the average life of those batteries is around 7 years. Not to mention the inherent inefficiency due to the battery weight. The overall environmental impact of EV's is far worse than petrol vehicles. If you want to be more environmentally friendly, drive less, use your bike or public transport more! If you must drive, then a small, light weight, petrol car is the most efficient choice.

The one good thing I'll give EV's is they relocate harmful vehicle emissions from city centres. If you're only using your vehicle for congested inner city commutes, then an EV is a positive choice for public health reasons, but not for saving the environment.

If we can improve the efficiency of hydrogen production and solve the storage problems, then hydrogen fuel cell vehicles will be a far better environmental solution. Its also relatively simple to create a dual fuel hydrogen/petrol combustion engine which could help drive the expansion of a hydrogen fuel network. Also imagine using home solar power to produce hydrogen to fuel your car and power your home, cutting out all the rip off middle men! Honda have actually been doing a lot of research into home based hydrogen production and storage solutions.
Old 20 July 2018, 11:14 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Plus, folk all go on about renewables. Seen the cost of making, installing etc the wind farms? And the energy used to make and install?

Pure con.
Some will be conned, most will not.

An interesting site is Greenwatch. When they were trumpeting that we were solely using energy from renewables in the UK one day last year, they conveniently "forgot" to state how much was being bought in from abroad...

And renewables are all heavily subsidised by the tax payer.
only real suitable option going forward at the min is nucelar, but they cost mega money and people don't like them .
Old 20 July 2018, 11:34 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Just laziness on the part of drivers: there are apps and satnav that show you where cheap fuel is to be found. Last time I refilled on a motorway in this country or abroad was over ten years ago.
Prix Carburants

Saved me a few bob when driving through France

UK apps/sites seem to want you to register for spam or pay. No ta. That said, BP round here is always significantly more expensive.
Old 20 July 2018, 11:54 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

€1,73.9 a litre here in Sausageland for Aral Ultimate 102RON
Not sure how much Shell Vpower is but it is normally dearer than Aral.
Old 20 July 2018, 12:19 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Wurzel
€1,73.9 a litre here in Sausageland for Aral Ultimate 102RON
Not sure how much Shell Vpower is but it is normally dearer than Aral.
Wow, I thought the fuel was expensive down here in tourist land! Local Shell has V-Power 100RON at €1.639 @ 13:00 today. I think Aral(BP) Ultimate is now 102RON in Germany and more expensive than V-Power!

I also have the V-Power smart deal in Germany where I pay €99 one year subscription in advance, then get V-Power for the price of the normal unleaded today at €1.449 (consistently 19 cent cheaper) - saves me around €8 tank and around €250 year after subtracting the initial subscription.

In Germany, they are only allowed to increase the price at most twice a day and they have to report the price to a central database every time it changes. Generally you get two big hikes upwards each day then smaller steps downward throughout the day. The timings are also generally pretty consistent, so the cheapest time to fill up is between 19:00 and 22:00.

The problem with supermarket fuels is they are generally end of batch fuels from various refineries. That means one day it might be Shell fuel, then next BP, then Esso. The various fuels then get mixed in the petrol stations tanks and you get a rather inconsistent mix of whatever fuel and various additives. This can have a bit of a negative effect on how well the car runs, particularly with highly tuned sports-cars. From my experience, cars always run best with consistent fuels, not necessarily the premium brands, but at least the same brand with a consistent fuel/additive mixture.
Old 20 July 2018, 01:48 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Alot of the Shell stations are owned by one company in the south, they brought them about 3 years ago; that's when competition stopped and prices became consistently high....nearly a monopoly
Old 20 July 2018, 05:10 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by BMWhere

The problem with supermarket fuels is they are generally end of batch fuels from various refineries. That means one day it might be Shell fuel, then next BP, then Esso. The various fuels then get mixed in the petrol stations tanks and you get a rather inconsistent mix of whatever fuel and various additives. This can have a bit of a negative effect on how well the car runs, particularly with highly tuned sports-cars. From my experience, cars always run best with consistent fuels, not necessarily the premium brands, but at least the same brand with a consistent fuel/additive mixture.

I find branded fuel is no better anymore. They are all using increasingly poor quality base stocks in their blends. Super and 95RON.

The engines that notice first are garden equipment and 2 strokes (bikes and tools). As well as any old vehicle with a open vented fuel system (basically most pre1990s stuff).

If I lay my lawn mower for two weeks with fuel in it, I can guarantee it will be a pig to start, same goes for the leaf blower and hedge cutter. In addition the leaf blower will get hot start problems and lose top end power at full throttle, the cutter will run ok but double stroke a lot. I tweek the carb which helps, but it isn't right and goes out of tune again from one use to the next.

Emptying the fuel into a sealed container after each use mitigates this, and generally it will stay 'good' for about six months. Lawn mower will start first pull after priming and run smooth straight away (as opposed to the fourth or Fith pull with a cough a splutter if left for 2 weeks with fuel in). Not so practical on cars and bikes, to drain and run them dry, so just have to keep them as full as possible and pray what ever 'fuel stabiliser'/snake oil additive one may attempt to use in vain actually works (I'm saying it doesn't work, well inconclusive at least).

Now, here's the twist, I take the hedge cutter over to Spain, and don't have a problem with it and just need to setup the carb once and it's fine thereafter, using the very same bottle of premix oil, and just Spanish fuel being the difference...it smells different and is a slightly different colour. All I can guess is it's orientated to a hotter climate so it doesn't gas off as much.

Back at work we're seeing classic cars brought in every Summer for another tune up after being done 12 months ago...SUs don't go out of tune that quick, especially HIFs, same with Strom CDs, they used to be set and forget. I check the mileage and find that in every case less than a few hundred miles have been done, I sniff the tank, smells more like paraffin. All I do is pump it out, fill with fresh, go for a drive and usually its sorted.

The only exceptions is if the carbs have sucked up rust and rubber residue into the jets, caused by the Ethanol, now that's another headache I'd rather not endure. And the main reason for selling my Kawasaki H1...every time I came to use it the brass floats had started to react with the aluminium and block up the idle jets...cleaning three carbs every few months every time I tried to use the thing was just too much of an ****, keeping the tank full doesn't work as the floats are still open to the atmosphere, fuel evaporates, ethanol attracts water and I'm left with a soupy corrosive mess.

That was before I found out ESSO sell Ethanol free 98RON fuel, well, they used to until they decided to knock down my local branch.

Quick Reply: Boycotting major petrol stations