Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Statistically speaking......

Search this Thread

Old 10 December 2017, 11:31 AM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Statistically speaking......

If you suffered from blackouts and the likes, how many times or how probable would it be that you'd suffer one whilst being on the stairs? And how many times "falling down the stairs" before you decided it was suspicious?
Old 10 December 2017, 11:55 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

All depends on if you live in a bungalow or if you work as a staircase inspector I guess
Old 10 December 2017, 01:18 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

id be asking a doctor that question not the scoobynet masses.
Old 10 December 2017, 01:20 PM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ossett2k2
All depends on if you live in a bungalow or if you work as a staircase inspector I guess

Old 10 December 2017, 01:23 PM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by yabbadoo4
id be asking a doctor that question not the scoobynet masses.

Possibly.....but I’m fairly certain most on here can pass judgment and give their opinion.

I’m intrigued to see what you all think, I personally can see 1 time as quite normal, and possibly 2 times as being perfectly acceptable but any more times has me wondering.
Old 10 December 2017, 01:47 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wull
Possibly.....but I’m fairly certain most on here can pass judgment and give their opinion.

I’m intrigued to see what you all think, I personally can see 1 time as quite normal, and possibly 2 times as being perfectly acceptable but any more times has me wondering.
I don't think even once can be considered normal. See the doc.
Old 10 December 2017, 01:57 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paben
I don't think even once can be considered normal. See the doc.
See the doc, however, my daughter had a single episode a few years ago, no stairs involved but she ended up with a years ban from driving
Old 10 December 2017, 03:30 PM
Wull
Scooby Regular

It’s not myself, and they’ve been going to the docs and hospital for 18 months now. Still none the wiser.

Some of the family members are starting to suspect that he’s fabricating it all, whether to get benefits or a pay out. It’s kind of back fired because the benefits system is a bit backwards and they’re receiving nothing or very little. After a period of 8-10 months they lost their job, joint job on an estate.

I find it hard to believe that someone suffering from blackouts whether it be Syncope or similar would happen to have recurring episodes as they walk down the stairs, I just can’t see it. Injuries are always to the face and ribs, chest area. No injuries to the legs, knees, hips, top of the head, back of the head, hands, fingers, arms
Old 10 December 2017, 05:24 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

If they're driving, they must legally declare it or their insurance is invalid. AND it is your responsibility to make them aware that with these blackouts, they must not drive at all. Until the DVLA and medical professionals sign the off safe.
Old 10 December 2017, 05:28 PM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy97
If they're driving, they must legally declare it or their insurance is invalid. AND it is your responsibility to make them aware that with these blackouts, they must not drive at all. Until the DVLA and medical professionals sign the off safe.

We’re getting a bit off topic here, no ones mentioned driving, in fact what I’m suggesting is he’s possibly faking it. How probable is it that someone can have x amount of falls down the stairs due to black outs.
Old 10 December 2017, 06:06 PM
Martianwrx
Scooby Regular

I cant do the math, however statistically it gets ridiculously high each time.

I have two friends with epilepsy and i have worked with people with severe epilepsy for several years in their own houses. There have been no incident's involving stairs for anyone i have worked with or know outside of work. I have seen every type of epilepsy seizure and a few Transient Loss of consciousness, but none of the blackouts have involved collapsing.

So that gives you an idea of how high the chances are straight off for just one incident.

Black outs are not necessarily related to epilepsy, however you can get blackouts caused by epilepsy and these seizures dont cause the physical seizures and the person just stands there drink in hand until its over (few seconds) and then goes back to what they were doing.

When you walk down the stairs you dont lean forwards, so if a sudden black out were to occur that included loss of muscle control the body wouldn't fall forwards rigidly. It would collapse, folding down on itself possibly one side quicker than the other.
In my head I can imagine the knees and ankles bending and taking a bang or twist, the ribs possibly, somewhere on the arms definitely and head as well, I cant see the chest hitting a stair except as a one off as it would almost certainly be a roll down the stairs.