Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Whoooo would live...in a town like this?

Search this Thread

Old 27 March 2017, 08:25 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Whoooo would live...in a town like this?

Scunthorpe.
@rsehole of the universe.

Two years ago I took advice on here and elsewhere and fitted a Gledhill stainless hot water tank.

Saturday afternoon, it's weeping from where the immersion heater fits. Removal of immersion heater reveals that the neoprene O-ring has split.

Now...can I buy one ANYWHERE in this sh!thole of a town?

Nope

So that's internet, then, and another day at least with no hot water
Old 27 March 2017, 09:09 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Update.

Gledhill, once they opened at 0830, agreed to send me one for tomorrow, FOC.

But they questioned if I had "an engineer to fit it?"

I said yes.......
Old 27 March 2017, 09:14 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Plumbcenter In scunny not have them?
Old 27 March 2017, 09:27 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

You know what they say about Scunthorpe? There's always a **** in s-****-thorpe!
Old 27 March 2017, 09:43 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I doubt I could get the parts from round here unless Screwfix/toolstation stock it!

I've got a rebranded Gledhill

(made by them with a Viesmann sticker on it)

so far:

Thermostat has failed three times
Expansion tank failed
Immersion failed

Despite these been generic off the shelf parts Viessman dragged their heals supplying replacements; never in stock apparently. Obviously whilst still stocking new tanks and not willing to rob the bits off that.

And since new it makes thermal expansion/banging noises as the copper hasn't been properly bonded to the insulation; despite numerous people on the net suffering this same issue, its been said "they all do that sir" despite the ten years warranty (thankfully its not next to the bedroom otherwise it'd be insufferable), scares the crap out me everytime if it does it whilst I'm stood near it.

Its going on eBay once I've replaced it; And I'll be doing it myself (and get it signed off once fitted, of course). Will have to quit work for a few months to sort the house out as too many big jobs like this need sorting with some proper care and attention to detail, which the trades are never going to come close to. Not just workmanship or tidiness, but making sure the components used are up to the job; The polyplumb UF heating thermostat is a prime example; it's probably the most user unfriendly stat I've ever used, a person in the trade should have known this and used something else, or better still Polyplumb should have never made it (or more accurately; Put their branding on some random Chinese junk).

Sign of the times; Quality/detail of design on stuff these days is lacking and its difficult to employ someone trustworthy to do the work and stop and ask if it's not right instead of ploughing ahead regardless in a rush to get in to the next job. Then there's suppliers that stock everything except replacement spare parts for the actual items they sell. And manufacturers knowingly making stuff that "just about" does the job or rebranding generic junk as their own, and generally not giving a stuff if the quality is below par; That's probably rly why the O-ring failed on your newish tank (or the immersion heater stat is dodgy and cooked it..my immersion fused the internal overheat stat)

Sorry went off on a tangent there; You reminded me of all of my plumbing issues that I swept under the carpet over winter

Last edited by ALi-B; 27 March 2017 at 09:49 AM.
Old 27 March 2017, 04:46 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

It's not the heater, it hasn't actually been used since I fitted the tank.

Just to be sure, I've ordered two spares off ebay which I'll hang up in the airing cupboard.

Also, researching on ebay gave me that the O-ring was 1 3/4"...it's not, it's 62mm.