Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Routes to a new car?

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2017, 06:17 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Routes to a new car?

Following on from my thread about how awful diesels now are and in particular, vauxhall diesels, we are looking at a new car sometime in the nearish future.

Leasing, PCP and buying as normal have all been mentioned.

But I'm unsure about what the first two actually are, and any pros and cons?

Anyone have experience of either?

Also, do all dealers do all methods, as I don't fancy having to buy from a town 30 miles away....
Old 06 March 2017, 07:04 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Leasing is basically long term hire... it comes with it's limitations... one being that you may be required to ask permission to leave the country in the car.

PCP (personal car plan) which means the car is yours essentially and you're paying finance on it, it comes with a guaranteed future value should you wish to trade it in and take another new car or you can pay the remainder of the finance... there is also a sum of money they will give you should you decide to get another car with them... kind of a loyalty bonus... forget what it's called, but it's basically the difference between the predicted future value and the final/balloon payment.

Ther are other variables like if you decide to put money down usually a multiple of your monthly payments ie 6 months worth or maybe £2k (just for a number) this can be done in the form of a car traded in or cash.

Our car was worth bugger all and on it's last legs so Mrs chucked it at the deal... more for convenience than anything else.

There are some very good deals to be had if you're not too fussy what car it is, personally all I care about is the numbers and that it gets me from A to B as cheaply as possible.

You really just need to take a look, you may have to do business with someone 30-50 or 150 miles away... shouldn't really matter these days, same as travelling for the right car when buying 2nd hand... goes with the territory... we're in Notts and the mrs got the car from Melton, so not bad.
Old 06 March 2017, 07:26 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice Peugeot ?
Old 07 March 2017, 07:17 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What I would say about distance buying is make sure you have a dealership that is willing to use one of it's other branches. Driving 300 miles to get a small issue resolved is a ball ache and they wont pay your fuel.

I Liver near Liverpool and purchased from Bristol. When my headlight went they sent me a cheque to save me the effort. Excellent customer care.
Old 07 March 2017, 09:56 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Nice Peugeot ?
One wonders if the new brand will be known as a Poxall?
Old 07 March 2017, 09:57 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies so far. Anyone else anything to add, (preferably constructive)?
Old 07 March 2017, 12:11 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a question about PCP - sort of relevant for the understanding of how PCP's work....

Wife bought a new Renault Captur about 6 months ago on PCP - she hates it - can we chop it in at another Marque dealer or does it have to go back to Renault?

Trending Topics

Old 07 March 2017, 12:21 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Start trawling a few of the lease websites (there was a thread on PH when cracking deals were spotted). The Golf R's were been given away last year, not quite sure now. Also some good ones on Merc's.
Old 07 March 2017, 12:58 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Always check what bank loan you can get, often cheaper rate than pcp or hp and you don't end up wither either nothing for your money, or a big payment at the end.
Old 07 March 2017, 01:45 PM
coupe_20vt
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Hu
I have a question about PCP - sort of relevant for the understanding of how PCP's work....

Wife bought a new Renault Captur about 6 months ago on PCP - she hates it - can we chop it in at another Marque dealer or does it have to go back to Renault?
The only feasible option you have, apart from keeping it, is to get a settlement figure from your finance company.

Once you know the settlement figure you can go anywhere. If you buy from a dealer they'll take the car, you pay any difference between the finance and the cars value and get yourself a new motor.

I did the above recently. In January 2016 I bought a new RCZ on PCP. Unfortunately the driving position gave me terrible leg and backache (something I only found when driving for over an hour in it). I kept it until January this year when I chopped it in for a new Focus ST. The settlement figure on the RCZ (PSA Finance) was £1000 short of the cars value. With a bit of bartering I managed to pick up the ST for a lower monthly payment than the RCZ and also managed to pay only £250 to cover the finance/valuation shortfall.

Prior to the RCZ I had a Swift Sport on PCP. It was on a 36 month plan. Within 24 months Suzuki were offering me a new brand Sport with no deposit and only a small increase in my monthly payment. I kept if for the full 36 months and the GFV was well below what Peugeot offered me when I purchased the RCZ, so it paid a good chunk of the deposit.

@Alcazar I'm happy with PCP, it lets me have a brand new car every 3 years. You just have to get used to paying a set amount every month. It may seem a lot but the cars under warranty, no MOT and you can usually wangle 1 free service.

@Tidgy My ST is through Ford Finance. It's 0% APR. I doubt any High Street bank will get anywhere near it.
Old 07 March 2017, 03:38 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
One wonders if the new brand will be known as a Poxall?
at least youd be able find somewhere service it when you retire your French chateau !
Old 08 March 2017, 12:16 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by coupe_20vt
The only feasible option you have, apart from keeping it, is to get a settlement figure from your finance company.

Once you know the settlement figure you can go anywhere. If you buy from a dealer they'll take the car, you pay any difference between the finance and the cars value and get yourself a new motor.

I did the above recently. In January 2016 I bought a new RCZ on PCP. Unfortunately the driving position gave me terrible leg and backache (something I only found when driving for over an hour in it). I kept it until January this year when I chopped it in for a new Focus ST. The settlement figure on the RCZ (PSA Finance) was £1000 short of the cars value. With a bit of bartering I managed to pick up the ST for a lower monthly payment than the RCZ and also managed to pay only £250 to cover the finance/valuation shortfall.

Prior to the RCZ I had a Swift Sport on PCP. It was on a 36 month plan. Within 24 months Suzuki were offering me a new brand Sport with no deposit and only a small increase in my monthly payment. I kept if for the full 36 months and the GFV was well below what Peugeot offered me when I purchased the RCZ, so it paid a good chunk of the deposit.

@Alcazar I'm happy with PCP, it lets me have a brand new car every 3 years. You just have to get used to paying a set amount every month. It may seem a lot but the cars under warranty, no MOT and you can usually wangle 1 free service.

@Tidgy My ST is through Ford Finance. It's 0% APR. I doubt any High Street bank will get anywhere near it.
Just depends on deal you get mate. If you can get 0% then your larfing
Old 08 March 2017, 04:07 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

I doubt we'll ever be in the position banks paying us to take money out
Old 08 March 2017, 10:50 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
at least youd be able find somewhere service it when you retire your French chateau !
Hmmmm

The "chateau" is looking a bit the worse for wear if that's what it is......

As for service, My Ars stra has had two problems in France, and local garages, including an Opel dealership, seem unable to cope.
The first one was the EGR valve complete failure, and ended up costing me almost £400, with the valve itself setting me back over £200 of that...yet, had I been in the UK, or had I KNOWN what the problem was, I could have had a genuine Vauxhall part in a sealed bag in my hand for £68 off ebay.
The local garage, who is quite good, had to take it 30 miles on a recovery truck to an Opel dealer to get it diagnosed properly. He didn't charge me for that.

Last summer was when it kept going into limp mode, but the dealer couldn't find the problem, only that it wanted a new fuel pump, (it doesn't), and that little episode cost £80 for diagnosis. The fuel pump, plus fitting was costed at €2500.....it didn't get done.

Another Vauxhall? I think not.....
Old 08 March 2017, 12:11 PM
SouthWalesSam
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

@Alcazar, I'm going for personal lease again.

There are some cracking lease deals out there if you want to land new metal.

I'm in the last month of a Golf R 6+23 months, 10k miles pa deal at £204 pm.

Including the £395 broker fee that's £3,156 a year for 2 years for a £30,800 car.

I think that's significantly less than the depreciation I'd have lost over the same period (about 25%) on an outright purchase.

Road tax was included so my extra costs totalled £350 for a 15k service and £410 for a full set of decent premium tyres.

Even my normal staid and straight laced accountant was impressed.

VAG are always doing some unbelievable deal on one or other of their models.
So on 31st March I'm replacing the Golf R with a run-out model Touareg 3.0TDi 262 R-Line Plus (we've two 85yo mothers so we need a 'granny carriage') on the same basis but with 12k miles a year. That deal was a base £414pm but we loaded it up with some driver-focused options to a bit over £500pm which is still pretty good for £50k+ list price car.

If you're interested then google 'Louise Quinn JCB' and contact her to see what deals she's got on atm.
Old 08 March 2017, 12:28 PM
LostUser
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was there a deposit with those deals Sam?

I've always bought my cars outright. I'd normally buy a 2 or 3 year old car. Current car is a BMW that I've had for 9 years now. I worked out it's cost me about £1.3k per year just looking at depreciation. Servicing costs are actually very low and it's been really reliable.

I want to replace it before it breaks and still has some value and the family is getting bigger now so I need a bit more room.

I can see the sense it not shelling out a bundle of cash to buy a car outright and just paying per month but it seems to be vastly more expensive when you work it out per month. I'm not bothered about driving a new car or having a new car every 3 years.

The sensible thing to do might be to lease a larger car for 2-3 years, keep the money in the bank and then buy something normal sized again in 2-3 years when I don't need to be transporting a massive buggy around that takes up the whole boot.
Old 08 March 2017, 12:45 PM
SouthWalesSam
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by LostUser
Was there a deposit with those deals Sam?

I'm not bothered about driving a new car or having a new car every 3 years.
Yes, there was a deposit. That's the "6+" part of the deal: 6 monthly payments upfront (e.g. £1,224 for the Golf R).

True, not everyone wants a new car but it has it's attractions when we do 35,000 miles a year between us and don't want to have worry about reliability.

Also, the op is asking after routes to a new car.
Old 08 March 2017, 01:01 PM
Ste RB5138
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SouthWalesSam

Including the £395 broker fee that's £3,156 a year for 2 years for a £30,800 car.
That was a great deal for the Golf R, no wonder there are so many about with deals like that!
Old 08 March 2017, 01:42 PM
coupe_20vt
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That's a seriously good deal. Comes in at around £220pm with a £1224 deposit. That's only £24pm more than I'm paying for 36 months for my ST!
Old 08 March 2017, 03:51 PM
SouthWalesSam
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Yes, both the Golf R and Louise Quinn's Touareg deals were pretty good.

Louise usually does some pretty cut-throat deals. I've been in touch with her today at JCB Group and unfortunately all the VAG deals have stopped now as it's quarter end.

The new deals will be out again from 1st April 2017 so Google her and get in touch after that if you're interested.
Old 08 March 2017, 04:34 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Thanks. At the moment I'm doing my research, moving forward will come when/if Mrs Alcazar retires.
Old 08 March 2017, 04:46 PM
matt-c
Scooby Regular

Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

Aren't the new VED rules going to mess up the leasing gig?
Old 08 March 2017, 05:03 PM
SouthWalesSam
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Yes. Totally.

Some low CO2 cars that were VED exempt will now be taxed.

Also for cars costing over £40k list, the new rates will add a £310 a year surcharge on top of the CO2 band charge from the second year of ownership.

That cost will have to be passed on in any leasing deal. Not nice.
Old 08 March 2017, 05:06 PM
SouthWalesSam
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

That's why my new deal starts on the 31st March rather than early April.
Old 08 March 2017, 05:15 PM
matt-c
Scooby Regular

Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

Gov will not be satisfied until we are all going around in ultra low powered automated vehicles.
Old 11 March 2017, 10:59 PM
8ulldog
Scooby Regular

Any particularly recommended companies for leasing?
Old 12 March 2017, 09:06 PM
SouthWalesSam
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Try:
Leasing Options (All makes)
New Car Deals Limited (stock specials deals)
Louise Quinn at JCB Group (as above, VW, SEAT, Skoda cars & vans)
Old 12 March 2017, 11:08 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

Yes. Totally.

Some low CO2 cars that were VED exempt will now be taxed.

Also for cars costing over £40k list, the new rates will add a £310 a year surcharge on top of the CO2 band charge from the second year of ownership.

That cost will have to be passed on in any leasing deal. Not nice.
Please explain to me why anybody buying a car with a 40K list price would care about a few hundred quid a year after the event.
Old 13 March 2017, 12:05 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by c_maguire
Please explain to me why anybody buying a car with a 40K list price would care about a few hundred quid a year after the event.
They wouldn't so a nice 1500 on the government coffers.
Old 13 March 2017, 11:03 AM
SouthWalesSam
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by c_maguire
It's by caring about 'a few hundred quid a year' here and there that you get to be able to buy a car with a £40k+ list.