Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Home outdoor CCTV

Search this Thread

Old 01 March 2017, 09:33 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Home outdoor CCTV

The Woman over the road came over tonight to tell me that a woman spent a fair amount of time on my drive looking over my car. It may be purely innocent but fancy some CCTV as a bit of a deterrent.
I've had a look round the web and it's an absolute mine field.
Has anybody got any recommendations on a single camera setup for somewhere around £100? I know there is shed loads of options to consider but I thought I'd try SN as my first step
Old 01 March 2017, 09:38 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

A mate fitted some sannce gear outside their family take away, it is brilliant, I can`t say how long it will last as it has only been in about 8 months, but build and image quality is as good as the Samsung gear I have been fitting which was twice the price from Laptops Direct.
Old 02 March 2017, 07:16 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

eBay , I got a awesome 4 camera kit that I can check from a mobile device (phone) anywhere for £65 , connects up to a tv as well ,,, iv got one on my garage , one looking over my front drive and another on my front door , the last one iv kept as a spare back up in case I have problems , but two years on and no problems so far
Old 02 March 2017, 07:26 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

One of the brands on ebay, Fleureeon or something is known to have embedded software that sends still images of your CCTV to a email address in China
Old 02 March 2017, 08:19 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
One of the brands on ebay, Fleureeon or something is known to have embedded software that sends still images of your CCTV to a email address in China
Well I haven't got it looking into my bathroom lol
Old 02 March 2017, 08:48 AM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default We run mainly Hikvision cameras at work with BlueIris

Works very well (see image)

All 13 cameras are 2688*1520 @ 18FPS

Tried cheaper ones, but the PQ just wasn't there.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	cctv.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	714.4 KB
ID:	22299  

Last edited by BlkKnight; 02 March 2017 at 08:49 AM.
Old 02 March 2017, 08:51 AM
jonnyboy82
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hikvision is the brand I'm going to be using!

Trending Topics

Old 02 March 2017, 11:07 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

The Sannce stuff looks ok and deffo around the right budget.
I was looking at the Hikvision gear but realistically I'd be north of £250
Old 02 March 2017, 11:20 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by domino46
Well I haven't got it looking into my bathroom lol
How about your neighbors?
Old 02 March 2017, 12:58 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one fitted. I'd have to check the make, but whilst it's sold as working with iPhones it doesn't play back on them. Be careful and check for reviews before you buy.
Old 02 March 2017, 01:52 PM
bigtel
Scooby Regular

You do get what you pay for with CCTV, the Hikvision and Dahua are great (Bit less chance of the Chinese watching you with the Dahua though.
I prefer to stick to 1080p @ 25 fps, they eat up hard drive space if you go to high res.

The Swann stuff is 'ok' if on a budget. The 'coke can' style cameras, with the eyebrow lip over the top are a nightmare for spiders & cobwebs though.
Old 02 March 2017, 03:40 PM
Dblock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BlkKnight

any by reason you went blue iris over ivms?

I was was looking at blueiris but most people are saying you need a i7 2600+. Now that's what I use on my PC and I could upgrade but people say ivms uses a lot less resources.
Old 02 March 2017, 05:23 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

Been using BI for years and never had reason to change.

Now that the software supports hardware acceleration (based on Intel HD onboard GPU) haswell onwards I believe, you can easily run 5 cameras on an I3.

My I7 never goes about 24% - even with all recording & multiple people viewing.

Hikvision have upped their security game forcing you to change the default password before using them.

Last edited by BlkKnight; 02 March 2017 at 05:25 PM.
Old 02 March 2017, 05:32 PM
birchy2010
Scooby Regular

Just done £40k worth of CCTV at work with all hikvision cameras.

Really impressed although they aren't the cheap version. You can get cameras from them for a £100 right up too £1000+ on one of the ptz's im using. Light years ahead of the Swann stuff you buy from maplins.
Old 02 March 2017, 08:05 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Done three installs now using Hikvision kit. Bit of a learning curve to get it running, but the image quality is pretty damn good, especially the latest 4MP EXIR cameras.

Unfortunately £100 won't even get you a camera
Old 02 March 2017, 08:07 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

I got a camera for my Raspberry Pi. I keep meaning to make a CCTV from it.
Old 02 March 2017, 08:31 PM
birchy2010
Scooby Regular

Hikvision DS-2CD2142FWD-I 4 MegaPixel IP PoE 4mm Waterproof Dome CCTV Camera with 30m IR Night Vision
Amazon Amazon

Fine for home cctv.
Commercially I've just had some of the nightfighter Ptz's installed
Old 03 March 2017, 01:59 AM
Dblock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by birchy2010
Just done £40k worth of CCTV at work with all hikvision cameras.

Really impressed although they aren't the cheap version. You can get cameras from them for a £100 right up too £1000+ on one of the ptz's im using. Light years ahead of the Swann stuff you buy from maplins.
Wow!

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Done three installs now using Hikvision kit. Bit of a learning curve to get it running, but the image quality is pretty damn good, especially the latest 4MP EXIR cameras.

Unfortunately £100 won't even get you a camera
I just ordered some Western Market EXIR 4mp cameras from China for about £100. I hope I haven't made a mistake.

Been using BI for years and never had reason to change.

Now that the software supports hardware acceleration (based on Intel HD onboard GPU) haswell onwards I believe, you can easily run 5 cameras on an I3.

My I7 never goes about 24% - even with all recording & multiple people viewing.

Hikvision have upped their security game forcing you to change the default password before using them.
Cool, I read that but shame it's haswell based and up. I want to run 12 4mp cameras. I've ordered a netgear 24 port poe smart switch (12 port poe), cat 6 cable all round just incase and gigE to the pc. Hope it's good!
Old 03 March 2017, 07:22 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

So out of all these helpful posts, which are actually within the original budget mentioned by the OP?
Old 03 March 2017, 07:37 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

So out of all these helpful posts, which are actually within the original budget mentioned by the OP?

Mine was , even if I do have a Chinese family looking at pics of my driveway or garage door from time to time I think there great lol
Old 03 March 2017, 08:27 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by domino46
Mine was , even if I do have a Chinese family looking at pics of my driveway or garage door from time to time I think there great lol
Old 03 March 2017, 08:54 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

You can get Hikvision IP cameras for sub £100, such as THIS 5MP ONE. Granted, you will need a POE injector or router such as THIS POE INJECTOR for £20. They can be got a bit cheaper, you will just need to check the current draw on the Hikvision.

Once you have the camera, it uses Cat5/6 cable, so run that back to your internet router and plug in. Then use the FREE Hikvision iVMS software to monitor your camera either on your laptop or if you're comfortable with port forwarding on your router, there is a free app for your phone.

I'm sure if you shopped around a bit on eBay, you could get both bits for under your target amount
Old 04 March 2017, 09:20 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
You can get Hikvision IP cameras for sub £100, such as THIS 5MP ONE. Granted, you will need a POE injector or router such as THIS POE INJECTOR for £20. They can be got a bit cheaper, you will just need to check the current draw on the Hikvision.

Once you have the camera, it uses Cat5/6 cable, so run that back to your internet router and plug in. Then use the FREE Hikvision iVMS software to monitor your camera either on your laptop or if you're comfortable with port forwarding on your router, there is a free app for your phone.

I'm sure if you shopped around a bit on eBay, you could get both bits for under your target amount
Really want a stand alone system.
I went to Maplins today and had a look at this. The quality of the playback looked ok and was tempted but I'm sure I can get equally as good for less. I guess I just want a full plug and play solution in a box.
Old 04 March 2017, 10:29 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

How does this record when he is away from the property or just asleep ?
Old 05 March 2017, 05:19 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

How does this record when he is away from the property or just asleep ?
iVMS & the cameras support NAS or you can record to PC, though I would specify a dedicated partition or HDD if doing that. Some cameras have micro-SD onboard as well.

If its just one camera then some form of NAS is probably the way to go. There's loads on eBay cheap new/2nd hand or just get an old HDD and create your own NAS (http://www.freenas.org).
Old 05 March 2017, 05:28 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Brun
Really want a stand alone system.
I went to Maplins today and had a look at this. The quality of the playback looked ok and was tempted but I'm sure I can get equally as good for less. I guess I just want a full plug and play solution in a box.

The main downside to that is that its not IP, so you will be running 2 cables per camera, which is a bit more fiddly & I imagine the cables are a fixed length, which is never enough! Maplin is also not the cheapest place to get things either. If it were I, then a NAS (like THIS) & 2x Hikvision Cameras, which are decently quality and then the iVMS software for the same price & less fiddly to set up. Install cameras, NAS & connect to router, fire up iVMS on your PC and it will detect regardless of IP assignation & you can configure to hearts content. You will have to fire up the NAS on a separate piece of (included) software but you just tell iVMS where the NAS is for storage. You could just get one cam so that you can install & get the hang of it. Happy to help if you have any qs.
Old 06 March 2017, 04:00 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

The main downside to that is that its not IP, so you will be running 2 cables per camera, which is a bit more fiddly & I imagine the cables are a fixed length, which is never enough! Maplin is also not the cheapest place to get things either. If it were I, then a NAS (like THIS) & 2x Hikvision Cameras, which are decently quality and then the iVMS software for the same price & less fiddly to set up. Install cameras, NAS & connect to router, fire up iVMS on your PC and it will detect regardless of IP assignation & you can configure to hearts content. You will have to fire up the NAS on a separate piece of (included) software but you just tell iVMS where the NAS is for storage. You could just get one cam so that you can install & get the hang of it. Happy to help if you have any qs.
Much appreciated. My wiring situation is ok really. I was going to fit the cameras to the soffits at the front of the house and the cables are then straight in the loft. I was planning to have the Dvr in the loft networked with a power line adapter then it can be forgotten about. Apparently with the kit I linked up above it can be set up from an iPad and the recordings viewed also
Old 07 March 2017, 07:54 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brun
Much appreciated. My wiring situation is ok really. I was going to fit the cameras to the soffits at the front of the house and the cables are then straight in the loft. I was planning to have the Dvr in the loft networked with a power line adapter then it can be forgotten about. Apparently with the kit I linked up above it can be set up from an iPad and the recordings viewed also
The Maplins gear is ok, better then cheap crap off Ebay, no Idea why someone thinks you need to run two cables as such to the cameras, either Balum or the shotgun cable that comes with the kits are both single cables, the balum way is very easy with a single cat 5+ to each camera point, smaller holes to drill etc to install the wiring.
Old 07 March 2017, 01:38 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Some of the Swann stuff is actually made for them by Hikvision (not all if it, but some). So really you are looking at similar stuff. Swan is probably more plug and play, although I never tried it.