Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Holiday Rentals - Websites

Search this Thread

Old 19 February 2017, 09:48 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Holiday Rentals - Websites

This is always a reasonable place to seek an opinion most of the time, so if you were looking for a self-catering type holiday rental, what would you like to see on the website? The type of accommodation is 5* cottage type and the location is rural/remote and good for long walks, scenery etc

I've been looking at loads and the variety both in terms of style and content, is huge. I am not a graphic or artistic person, so designing things is not my forte. However, I can see that the existing one is "ok", just not providing the grab that it should and needs to do, so want to improve and make it more stylish etc

Obviously About, Contact, Rates, Availability, Local Attractions that sort of thing are a given, but how would it best be presented? What would draw you in? What would turn you away? Styles? Examples of ones you like? Dislike?

Things like videos/360 photos - useful/not useful? Things that would be nice to see/read?

Maybe this is too focused a question, I don't know but examples of good website design also interesting
Old 19 February 2017, 08:57 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it one site, dedicated to a single or small number of properties?

Personally I wont use these as it is difficult to validate with certainty that the site is legimate. Holidaylettings.co.uk and homeaway.co.uk take this risk away, by vetting thier clients and guaranteeing the transaction. It may be an idea to consider how confidence can be given to prospective customers that the business and the website is legitimate.

In a more general context, I hate to see properties advertised, where the photographs are primarilly of some unnamed beach or scenic view, and the numbers made up with pictures of plates of food or tables set in a restaurant - save that for the marketing collateral on instagram and youtube. I want to see photos of the property inside, and outside. The other bugbear in this context is the narrative advising the propery sleeps 6 in 3 bedrooms, but only an image of a single double room is shown. When you turn up, you may find rooms with a futon, or the lounge being described as a bedroom because it has a fold out bed. If it makes a claim in the narrative, evidence it with images. I skip by those who don't as I haven't time to send email for the detail. Keep the photos up to date, it is not the first time I have rented a rural cottage where it is identified by its shape and the colour of the front door, or its gates.

On the sites metioned above, it gives an indicator that the owner "usually responds in xx hours" or "x days". Those that take a long time to respond, or who don't show this, I pass them by.

The last place I stayed in was an Trullo in Italy, the previous visitor complained that it was in a remote location with no shops, bars or resaurants within walking distance. For me and my family that was perfect, it was almost 30Km to the nearest shop, restaurant, bars - the website did describe it as being near San Vito Dei Normanni as its nearest town; It was near it if you had a form of motorised transport - it had no public transport nearby and walking anywhere after dark would have been an extremely high risk adventure.

I have stayed in this place http://www.masseriabaroninuovi.it/masseria/salento/en/
I really like their website, it is clean, clear and concise. It depicts the place exactly as it is, and contact details are provided. If the place is remote (as this place is) it is definately worth providing GPS details postcode and door number if that works, or GPS co-ords. Also useful to consider turn by turn directions from the nearest airport, seaport or whatever modes of transport are most likely to be used to get there.

Costs need to be the price you see is the price you pay - I hate seeing the rental price, and having to calculate the additional costs for housekeeping, firewood, additional bedding etc - its just tedious.

If there is a specific 'turnaround' day, state it clearly, or if the place can only be rented in full weeks - call it out.

Provide a facility for guests to review the property, and the owner to respond to the feedback. Even if the response is to thank them for their feedback and hope they will return soon, it shows the owner careas about the business and their customer, and is working for their custom.

That is all that springs to mind immediately - if you want to PM the detail of the site, as someone who uses this type of rental regulalry, I'll give you a customer's eye view by PM.

Last edited by tarmac terror; 19 February 2017 at 09:02 PM.
Old 22 February 2017, 10:11 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks TT, very comprehensive. A lot of the stuff already there but its good to reinforce plus some extra worthwhile points. When I've got a play site up, I'll PM you.