Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Student Maintenance Question

Search this Thread

Old 15 February 2017, 11:52 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Student Maintenance Question

IF she works hard, my daughter may be going to Uni this September. She lives with her mother and my financial commitment to her mother for her support finishes in June when she is 18. I will not be providing financial support for her going forward.

The grant application is a bit vague as it asks for Household Income details and at the same time mentions both parents (or parent + new partner). Obviously I am no longer part of said household and have not been for nearly 10 years, so do they have to declare my income too? Reason being is that if I add my income, any maintenance level will reduce and then my ex will try & put me on a guilt trip to try & force me to make up the shortfall
Old 15 February 2017, 12:23 PM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Isn't that what a Student Loan is for ? I didn't realize grants were still available these days. Thought I was one of the last few (back in the early 90s) lucky enough to get a grant.
Old 15 February 2017, 12:58 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

You don't live with her and her mother, ergo you're not part of the household, simples. If you were still contributing to upkeep, it would be up to your ex to declare your financial support as part of her income, but it looks like that won't apply here either.
Old 15 February 2017, 01:29 PM
coupe_20vt
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonnys3
Isn't that what a Student Loan is for ? I didn't realize grants were still available these days. Thought I was one of the last few (back in the early 90s) lucky enough to get a grant.
The Student loan is to cover tuition fees.

The Maintenance Grant is to pay for accommodation/living costs.
Old 15 February 2017, 01:52 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Grant/Loan whatever its called. All I know is its means tested

What I was thinking markjmd. Trying to avoid another opportunity to gouge money from me.
Old 15 February 2017, 02:22 PM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by coupe_20vt
The Student loan is to cover tuition fees.

The Maintenance Grant is to pay for accommodation/living costs.
Gotcha. All I can remember is having to work my ar$e off every summer to supplement my grant and help pay for my living costs.
Old 15 February 2017, 02:23 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!

What I was thinking markjmd. Trying to avoid another opportunity to gouge money from me.
My ex-partner did this last year for her boy. I did not live with them, no father about, only her income was assessed

Trending Topics

Old 15 February 2017, 02:25 PM
coupe_20vt
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!

Yes the Maintenance Grant is means tested and it takes a big hit if you're a decent earner.

From memory, the application asks about Parents income and not household income. I have a feeling you'll have to include your income in the Grant calculation.
Old 15 February 2017, 08:33 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your daughter doesnt live with you, and you dont live with her mother, your income is out of the equation.

The test is on household income, that will include any income she has, including that of her mother, and any partner that lives with her.

Facts here :
https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-student...usehold-income

Despite all the hype about leaving university with £25K of debt, let her borrow as much as she can on these schemes. It only gets paid back when she crosses an earnings threshold, and there are significant volumes of student debts that are set aside.

Last edited by tarmac terror; 15 February 2017 at 08:35 PM.
Old 15 February 2017, 09:27 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

You are not part of the equation here, they review the money at the household where she lives - if she was living on her own she would get all sorts of help financially but as she lives with her mom it'll be that household income that they work it out on - if you paid into that house i.e. in CSA etc they would count that too.
Old 15 February 2017, 10:45 PM
scousefly
Scooby Regular

Default Hmmmm Not Entirely the Best Advice

Originally Posted by tarmac terror
If your daughter doesnt live with you, and you dont live with her mother, your income is out of the equation.

The test is on household income, that will include any income she has, including that of her mother, and any partner that lives with her.

Facts here :
https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-student...usehold-income

Despite all the hype about leaving university with £25K of debt, let her borrow as much as she can on these schemes. It only gets paid back when she crosses an earnings threshold, and there are significant volumes of student debts that are set aside.

They are now thinking of passing all the student loans unpaid due to lack of financial income when finished(low paid jobs) to external collection agencies so saying let her rack the debt up isn't good advice. My eldest daughter went to university and I paid maintenance and it WAS classed as income in the final means test decision
Old 15 February 2017, 10:57 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by tarmac terror

Would one want their child to be an eternal modern slave if they have the capability to help?

It's sad that education will be only for the rich in the future.

Last edited by fpan; 15 February 2017 at 10:59 PM.
Old 15 February 2017, 11:38 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scousefly
They are now thinking of passing all the student loans unpaid due to lack of financial income when finished(low paid jobs) to external collection agencies so saying let her rack the debt up isn't good advice. My eldest daughter went to university and I paid maintenance and it WAS classed as income in the final means test decision
It is one of the cheapest loans you will ever have, you dont pay a penny back until earing something like £17.5K and the repayments are between 2 and 4% dependant on your monthly earnings, on £25K a year the repayment is something like £50 a month; if anyone is seeking to evade payment, then why not pursue recovery of the debt, but for a host of reasons student loans don't get repaid, and are written off.

Maintenance payments for a child to the other parent are absolutely classed as household income, which is why they are included in the means test. The OP's question was about declaring his income, which is not relevant to the means tested decision, as he is not part of the household in which is former wife and daughter reside.
Old 15 February 2017, 11:58 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fpan
Would one want their child to be an eternal modern slave if they have the capability to help?

It's sad that education will be only for the rich in the future.
Modern slave is taking it a bit far.... As above, it is a cheap loan. I would rather be investing in helping my kids onto the property ladder and giving them a roof over their heads and an asset than spending my hard earned cash on a university attendance certificate.

Degrees are two a penny, and therefore devalued. Only field of employment in my view where degrees are essential are Law, Medicine and Engineering. I dont see many business problems getting solved with what was learned on a degree course. Please dont get me started about idiots who think a degree from a Russell Group univesity is in some way superior to a degree from elsewhere!!!
Old 16 February 2017, 05:11 AM
guinnessman2001
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I graduated in Electronic Engineering and it took me 3 years full time.

Somebody told me the other day you can get the same degree in one year!

Either they are talking utter bull or the degree has become seriously devalued.