Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Going to Sydney

Search this Thread

Old 12 June 2002, 06:19 PM
simonburton
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Going over to visit my girlfreind who is working over there for 3-4 months. Anyone suggest any night spots (which she probably knows about anyway), or any other stuff to see.

Also anyone on Scoobynet in Sydney? Can you suggest any tuners to go and talk to or buy some tuning bits cheaper than in the UK (obvioulsy subject to shipping costs)?

Simon
Old 12 June 2002, 06:21 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Talking

Say hello to my ex - she's called Mel! Heheheh
Old 12 June 2002, 06:31 PM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kings Cross and Oxford St are the main night spots in Sydney.

MRT are based in Ryde, not far from downtown sydney. Check out www.mrt.com.au

Richard
Old 12 June 2002, 09:57 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Take a ferry over to Manly on a Sunday morning for breakfast, excellent.

In town 'The Establishment' was a good night out.
Old 12 June 2002, 10:32 PM
frisby
Scooby Regular

Blue Mountains are worth a visit - I arranged a day trip with Oz Experience - offices under the Coca Cola sign in Kings Cross.

Take the ferry from Circular Quay to Taronga Zoo - I spent the day there and even bumped into Ruby Wax.

Bus it from Circular Quay to Bondi Beach - lovely place.

Darling harbour with its luxury Marina and exquisite real estate - a bit touristy but a nice place for a wander.

I also went to a place called Drumoyne - my dad used to live there so I thought I'd go find his old house, and just have a wander round a housing estate to check out the houses and lifestyle etc.

I'm sure your girlfriend will know he score by now though.

Oh and ther are loads of Scoobies and I saw one 22B when I was there which I believe belongs to someone off 22B.com.

laters

Stu
Old 12 June 2002, 10:35 PM
Olly
Scooby Regular

Go to Arthurs, a dingy but packed out little pizza restaurant in Paddington for the best pizza you will ever taste. Take your own Tooheys.

Top floor of the AnA Hotel is posh and expensive but do a very fine cocktail combined with possibly the best view of Sydney Harbour, especially at night. Just leave the lampshades on the lamps, and don't insult waiters whilst wearing one on your head like CrisPDuk
Old 12 June 2002, 10:45 PM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Oh Simon...

some other thoughts for you.

If you like italian food then go to Norton St in Leichardt (10 mins from the city centre) There's a huge selection of excellent restaurants there and not expensive.

for great seafood take the ferry to Watson's Bay and try Doyles. They have a restaurant and the pub next door. If the weather is good have the seafood platter in the pub garden. Awesome view back up the harbour.

China town is also well worth a visit and only a short monorail ride from darling harbour.

Phillip's Foot in the Rocks, just across from the opera house, is another great place. It's a pretty old wine bar with a garden at the rear where you select your own cut of meat and then BBQ it yourself

The only problem with Sydney is that there are too many good places to go LOL

Richard

[Edited by rsquire - 6/14/2002 5:15:35 PM]

Trending Topics

Old 12 June 2002, 11:06 PM
Olly
Scooby Regular

And you can’t go to Sydney without visiting Bathurst and the Mount Panorama race circuit. If you’ve never heard of the place (and most race fans have) then obtain a video or two before you go. Those guys are heros.

It’s a difficult and unforgiving race circuit that doubles as a quiet 2 way public road, but no-one seems to give a stuff, so hot laps are possible but watch the concrete walls and the traffic. It’s a surreal place: you drive past the shops, round a roundabout and suddenly you’re on Murray’s Corner. Try that at Silverstone.

A few of us rented a 3.6 Toyota Something (basically a rebadged Holden Commodore) and played at being Peter Brock for an afternoon, until one of us (not me) lost it under brakes at the end of Conrod Straight and spun it backwards into the kitty litter. We got heaved out by a gang of rugby lads on a pilgrimage in a Subaru pickup (sorry “ute”). The hire company did comment on the state of the rear pair of Bob Jane’s (some Aussie tyre brand) but shrugged it off anyway. Cracking fun, and under 3 hours drive from Sydney.
Old 13 June 2002, 08:49 AM
simonburton
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks for all the replies everyone - greatly appreciated.

Simon
Old 13 June 2002, 11:50 AM
mike16v
Scooby Regular

I was in Sydney for a few weeks last summer - Stayed in Potts Point, near Kings Cross.

Went to some place called Bourbon & Beefsteak in Kings Cross - really fine chilli, steaks etc... the place is great fun on a Friday night (from quite early on too!)

Also - make sure you climb the bridge!! I did - fantastic!!!

I loved Sydney so much that once I get enough cash together (& clear some of my student debts!) I'm going back across to live for a year.
Old 13 June 2002, 12:03 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Make sure you look into the YHA in Sydney Central (near the station) - corner of Pitt Street/Rawsons Place.

We paid the 20 odd quid membership and then 36 dollars each for a double room with ensuite.

Have a look at the web page for Sydney Central YHA

Also, make sure you go to the Olympic Park. The stadium is awesome ! Its about 30-40 mins by train from Central Station.

Will agree with comments about Manly. Get off the ferry and straight down the main street to the beach. Immediately on your right is a place, cant remember name, does Ribs and Steaks. Thats nice.

Make sure you go to the aquarium as the sharks are mental !

Dave
Old 13 June 2002, 08:25 PM
Gizmo555
Scooby Regular

'Home' have a club in Sydney & a bar in one of the harbour areas.
Old 13 June 2002, 08:43 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Be careful if you go to Mount Panorama and go around the circuit at speed, especially down Conrod straight. Coppers usually set up a radar trap halfway down the straight. I did a lap slowly, to check for coppers, in my ex Falcon GT first and found them waiting there with radar. Spoiled the fun they did.

Cheers,

Wrexy.
Old 14 June 2002, 12:36 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

try climbing the harbour bridge
great view from the top and an intereting tour
Old 14 June 2002, 12:44 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Home club and bar is in Darling Harbour, where theres a few more bars and some good restaurants, where seafood is superb. Theres also a big IMAX cinema there and the monorail that can take you close to Chinatown. Make sure you eat out there too,food is awesome.

I got engaged on Darling Harbour Bridge, so have good memories of it !!

Dave
Old 14 June 2002, 02:49 PM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Hello!

I lived in Sydney for 10mths when I was backpacking. I worked at a superb Irish pub called the Mercantile up on the Rocks (George St). Any taxi will know about it. Fantastic atmosphere on a Thurs, Fri Sat night and Sunday afternoon (The Rocks arket is lovely).

Oxford Street is a good, albeit a bit rough, night out. Try Kinsellas and Bentley Bar - v interesting clientele! There are some very up market bars around too. Try World's Best Bars on the web for a full list. There are also two very smart and good value hotels, The Kirketon and W. Very cool indeed - both have websites.

Surrey Hills and Paddington are groovy areas and as Richard says, has some awesomely good restaurants, bars.

Have a fab time, I certainly did and would live there tomorrow!

Cheers,

Mossman
Old 14 June 2002, 02:52 PM
Alpine
Scooby Regular

Gizzmo.. Giz a job!
Old 14 June 2002, 07:30 PM
Gizmo555
Scooby Regular

Eh ?