Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

STUPIDLY designed modern cars

Search this Thread

Old 05 December 2016, 02:30 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default STUPIDLY designed modern cars

Just taken me 45 minutes struggling in filthy conditions to change the headlight bulb in the dip beam of a Mk5 Astra.

there's a little hatch inside the wheelarch, (could it BE in a dirtier position?), then a rubber cover, then a twist out bulb holder, then the bulb to remove, all inside an opening I can barely get one hand into, let alone see into at the same time. The wiring isn't long enough to pull it OUTside the opening to work on it and see it. So working blind, left handed, one handed, by feel.

Vauxhall wanted £10 for the bulb and £10 to fit it, ("Oh but it's a genuine Vauxhall bulb"...errrrr, no, Vauxhall don't make bulbs), robbing barstewards.

Thought about Halfords but they are £8 fitting per bulb and their bulbs are £9.99 each too.

Mine cost me £3.99, for a Ring standard bulb. I'm getting too old for this sort of cr@p, WHY do car manufacturers do this? They can't need the £10 for fitting that badly and it'll block up their workshop for half an hour too. Idiot stupid designers.
Old 05 December 2016, 03:25 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar
Just taken me 45 minutes struggling in filthy conditions to change the headlight bulb in the dip beam of a Mk5 Astra.

there's a little hatch inside the wheelarch, (could it BE in a dirtier position?), then a rubber cover, then a twist out bulb holder, then the bulb to remove, all inside an opening I can barely get one hand into, let alone see into at the same time. The wiring isn't long enough to pull it OUTside the opening to work on it and see it. So working blind, left handed, one handed, by feel.

Vauxhall wanted £10 for the bulb and £10 to fit it, ("Oh but it's a genuine Vauxhall bulb"...errrrr, no, Vauxhall don't make bulbs), robbing barstewards.

Thought about Halfords but they are £8 fitting per bulb and their bulbs are £9.99 each too.

Mine cost me £3.99, for a Ring standard bulb. I'm getting too old for this sort of cr@p, WHY do car manufacturers do this? They can't need the £10 for fitting that badly and it'll block up their workshop for half an hour too. Idiot stupid designers.
Old 05 December 2016, 03:28 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

I've HEARD some Hondas are **** to do aswell ..
Old 05 December 2016, 04:18 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/cMMN7MDSgRE/hqdefault.jpg
Old 05 December 2016, 09:22 PM
Uncle Creepy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I opened the thread expecting to see a picture of a Citroen Xsara.

Stupidly designed? Absolutely!
Modern? Hmm, I guess not.

Old 05 December 2016, 09:30 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Bet he wishes he still had his xantia
Old 05 December 2016, 09:38 PM
Matty81
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I had an ep2 zany and it was either a real **** job or a 2min job. It was a silly little metal bracket that had to be hooked onto a silly little notch.

Trending Topics

Old 06 December 2016, 09:13 AM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Headlight bulbs and pollen filters

Last edited by Steve001; 06 December 2016 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Grammar police vs predictive txt :-)
Old 06 December 2016, 10:04 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve001
Headlight bulbs and polen filters

isnt it Pollen or Cabin filter ?
Old 06 December 2016, 10:24 AM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
isnt it Pollen or Cabin filter ?
yeah they the F##kers

Last edited by Steve001; 06 December 2016 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06 December 2016, 10:56 AM
Paben
Scooby Regular

If you think changing plugs on an Impreza is a faff try it on a six cylinder 320 Merc. Even removing the coil packs needs a special tool, then for reasonable access to the plugs (two per cylinder) on one side you really need to slacken the engine mounts and jack up the engine. You first have to blow out the muck from around the plugs or that falls into the engine with dire consequences. Not a nice job!
Old 06 December 2016, 11:33 AM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Matty81
I had an ep2 zany and it was either a real **** job or a 2min job. It was a silly little metal bracket that had to be hooked onto a silly little notch.
I changed a bulb on a "57" plate civic a little while ago had to take the wheel off for easy access and inner arch plastic what a nasty job
I guess I could have managed without taking the wheel off but that would have made it even more fiddly
Old 06 December 2016, 11:37 AM
Matty81
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Getting the bulb out was easy. It was fitting one. Luckily I've got smallish hands but I still spent 30mins on one once
Old 06 December 2016, 11:48 AM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Next time I'll send you the £16.01 you "saved" by being a tight git so you can pay the £20 to Vauxhall to save you (and hence us) all this f*cking grief
Old 06 December 2016, 12:01 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

It's seems £16.01 buys an awful lot of stress. I normally get Halfords on to it and then buy a car cleaning product I don't need because I'm drawn in by the attractive packaging.
Old 06 December 2016, 12:31 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Devildog
Next time I'll send you the £16.01 you "saved" by being a tight git so you can pay the £20 to Vauxhall to save you (and hence us) all this f*cking grief
Originally Posted by JTaylor
It's seems £16.01 buys an awful lot of stress. I normally get Halfords on to it and then buy a car cleaning product I don't need because I'm drawn in by the attractive packaging.
This on so many levels, having owned a Mk5 Astra I know this pain and it's soooooooooooooooooooo not worth doing it yourself.
Old 06 December 2016, 12:42 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

reminds me of the old Irish forger I once knew

he could take a 50 pence piece, and with time and patience fashion a perfect 10p piece
Old 06 December 2016, 12:51 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Devildog
Really? I'll be doing both as uprated bulbs this summer, shall I send you my address?
Old 06 December 2016, 07:50 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Remember trying to do the same thing with a Nissan Micra, gave up and took it to Halfords where they had to take the whole headlight off to fit the bulb.
Old 06 December 2016, 08:05 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Norman Dog
Remember trying to do the same thing with a Nissan Micra, gave up and took it to Halfords where they had to take the whole headlight off to fit the bulb.
I always get them to fit lamps on my vectra vxr with AFLs as there is literally no room and its great for ****s and giggles watching the halfrauds muppets struggle in the rain
Old 06 December 2016, 08:43 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

I needed two bulbs doing on the kangoo popped into mates he done them topped up the oil
Put 20 Euro in his pocket
Screw rolling around in the dirt
Old 06 December 2016, 09:00 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV
I always get them to fit lamps on my vectra vxr with AFLs as there is literally no room and its great for ****s and giggles watching the halfrauds muppets struggle in the rain
Lovely guy.
Old 06 December 2016, 10:17 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

Really? I'll be doing both as uprated bulbs this summer, shall I send you my address?
I wouldn't bother. Yes, they are a bit brighter than standard, but I've changed the same uprated bulb twice in my mk5 Astravan whilst the original is still going strong on the passenger side. Not worth the grief.
Old 06 December 2016, 11:26 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Sadly. dont think they were designed for us to work on
Old 07 December 2016, 06:45 AM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

Modern electronics that are not isolated.For example,2 years ago my sister was driving her Jag XF from work after some really bad rain.Ended up going through a deep puddle.The car cut out & all the windows & doors would not open.The car was a write off! As she was waiting to be towed a nearly new Volvo tried the same thing & also cut out & got stuck.The driver was an old gent & he also could not open the doors or windows.Terrible design & an alarming safety issue.I am assuming a lot of new cars are similarly designed so don't try driving your new Scooby in a lake these days.
Old 07 December 2016, 07:31 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lozgti1
Exactly that, they're designed to keep the dealer network in business, and for the more bloody minded amongst us, if you do have a go once you'll decide it's not worth the grief and take it to them to pee about with and while it's there they can do you a "FREE" inspection/health check.

As for the electrics dying I once went through a big puddle in an Astra Diesel company car and killed the engine, hydrostatic lock, was very pleased it had a winedy sunroof for me to climb up onto the roof sit there and phone the RAC.

I always have my seat belt cutter and glass break tool in the car now because of that day.
Old 07 December 2016, 10:51 AM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lozgti1
Exactly this, from memory the section on changing bulbs in the manual actually states "contact your nearest Vauxhall dealer" for certain lights.
Old 07 December 2016, 11:49 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Not for dip beam...but my hands are relatively small, and I struggled...plus you can't see and do at the same time.

Bumper off over Christmas if the weather is mild, methinks.
Old 07 December 2016, 12:11 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Best way to go tbh. By the time i sold my Corsa C I had getting the bumper off down to an art because it was the easiest way to swap a bulb
Old 07 December 2016, 04:41 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Apparently it's only held on by a few screws and five clips

Better order some clips then....