Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Microwave problem solved

Search this Thread

Old 03 December 2016, 02:11 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Microwave problem solved

If you know as little about microwaves as I do then following may save you a few quid.
We have used a Panasonic unit for several years, quite an upmarket jobbie with combi and grill. But a couple of weeks ago it started making explosive noises inside with severe sparking. So noisy that I worried for a moment that it would explode
First thoughts were chuck it and get new one but equivalent was North of £140 so I did a Google check and learnt that these things have what's called a wave guide cover on the inside of the machine which mostly prevents food splatter from getting into the microwave cavity. The cover itself is just a small sheet of mica with a couple of slots to hold it in place and can be removed in 5 seconds. Apparently food particles can splash
onto this where they get burnt and the cover eventually fails (mine actually had a hole in it). Note wipe cover regularly to keep it clean. Slight problem finding which part number I needed and Panasonic weren't very helpful but found the part, cost £2.25. All well now
Might be helpful info if this happens to you.

Davdi
Old 03 December 2016, 07:09 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Buy a microwave food cover, a couple of quid, then you hardly ever need to clean microwave, the splashes are contained.

When I was in the trade, we would buy large sheet of mica and trace outline of damaged part. Nice little earner for 5 mins work. Microwaves were so easy to repair. You just had to be careful of the capacitor, it had -1.8kV stored and a huge amount a current discharge, enough easily to kill a person easily.

Last edited by andy97; 03 December 2016 at 07:13 PM.