Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

BEST DOUBLE DIN APP-BASED HEAD UNIT...?

Search this Thread

Old 15 November 2016, 07:37 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default BEST DOUBLE DIN APP-BASED HEAD UNIT...?

Anyone recommend any? To fit a MY99 STi 5.

I like the idea of an iOS based one (I have a 5s).

Any guidance, much appreciated...
Old 15 November 2016, 09:57 PM
shiers999
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Pioneer AppRadio 4, picked it up second hand for £200. It's a good bit of kit. If you get one, just make sure you earth the handbrake wire so that you can use all of its functions.
Old 15 November 2016, 09:59 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

I'm guessing that gets around the unit not providing any movies/video while on the move?

Last edited by joz8968; 15 November 2016 at 10:03 PM.
Old 15 November 2016, 10:40 PM
shiers999
Scooby Newbie

It will also allow you to use your phone to set destinations maps. if not, you can only go to places you have been before using maps and also have to go through siri to do it.

It also reads out any texts messages if you want it to and also reply via siri.

I am also currently looking into getting Dash Command displaying on it but I need to buy the HDMI adaptor first.
Old 15 November 2016, 10:45 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Won't the handbrake light on the dash stay on (slightly annoying), if you do that 'mod'?
Old 15 November 2016, 11:02 PM
Dblock
Scooby Regular

No because you are earthing the headunit wire so the head unit "thinks" hand brake is on. So your handbrake remains untouched.
Old 15 November 2016, 11:03 PM
Dblock
Scooby Regular

Also I have a Pioneer carozerra unit. Nice unit but no aux or lightning connection. I'm looking at getting one of the cheap Chinese Andriod style ones. Anyone tried them? I don't use the car that often so I don't want to get something super high end for it.
Old 15 November 2016, 11:04 PM
shiers999
Scooby Newbie

Leave the handbrake as it is, there is a wire on the head unit that is supposed to be connected to the handbrake. Instead of doing that, you earth it. I think i just taped the one on mine to the back of the head unit if i remember correctly.

It just tricks the radio into thinking that the handbrake is always on.
Old 15 November 2016, 11:11 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Ahh, sorry, I was coming at it from the wrong angle. Literally.

Cheers.

I'll look into that AppRadio 4 unit...

Last edited by joz8968; 15 November 2016 at 11:13 PM.
Old 15 November 2016, 11:19 PM
shiers999
Scooby Newbie

The model is Pioneer SPH-DA120 if AppRadio 4 comes up with nothing. Like I say, I got mine for £200 off Gumtree.

Plently of reviews/ How to's on youtube.
Old 16 November 2016, 07:42 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Dblock
Also I have a Pioneer carozerra unit. Nice unit but no aux or lightning connection. I'm looking at getting one of the cheap Chinese Andriod style ones. Anyone tried them? I don't use the car that often so I don't want to get something super high end for it.
I'm thinking of getting one too as the volume control has broke on my current pioneer double DIN. And want something more clever with a DVD/CD player. I tried the pioneer App radio and it seemed a bit restricted in functionality In comparison to these Android units.

I've fitted three of them so far; all different makes, two were vehicle specific jobs (BMW and Ford) so no need for DIN facia adapters. The actual quality and useage from a quick play is pretty good, considering its some random Chinese stuff. They do take a while to boot up when you start the car (about 30 seconds), which would annoy me.

Two important things I can't comment on and what puts me off is long term durability; the same unit being sold under a load of different anonymous brands on eBay doesn't bode well and add potential software bugs as another concern. The second thing is audio quality; I am a audiophile, I've got £1k of speakers and amps in my car and it sounds superb. I've only heard these android units via factory car speakers which obviously is way below my standard and impossible to evaluate if the pre-amp on these head units is actually any good; sometimes they aren't as I found out with my VW RCD500 which has a terrible internal pre-amp; binning that alone for a pioneer HU improved audio quality no-end. So I don't want to go backwards here, they have a 5-band eq, but no adjustments for bandwidth or curve on each frequency - something Very handy on the old Pioneers to tweek the audio (not sure if the new stuff has that and it's been dumbed down )

Last edited by ALi-B; 16 November 2016 at 07:46 AM.
Old 16 November 2016, 08:51 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shiers999
The model is Pioneer SPH-DA120 if AppRadio 4 comes up with nothing. Like I say, I got mine for £200 off Gumtree.

Plently of reviews/ How to's on youtube.

Yep, was searching that product no. last night, etc. Will also check out YT reviews/self-help vids and stuff...

Cheers.

Last edited by joz8968; 16 November 2016 at 08:52 AM.
Old 16 November 2016, 09:25 AM
Mark10sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
I'm thinking of getting one too as the volume control has broke on my current pioneer double DIN. And want something more clever with a DVD/CD player. I tried the pioneer App radio and it seemed a bit restricted in functionality In comparison to these Android units.

I've fitted three of them so far; all different makes, two were vehicle specific jobs (BMW and Ford) so no need for DIN facia adapters. The actual quality and useage from a quick play is pretty good, considering its some random Chinese stuff. They do take a while to boot up when you start the car (about 30 seconds), which would annoy me.

Two important things I can't comment on and what puts me off is long term durability; the same unit being sold under a load of different anonymous brands on eBay doesn't bode well and add potential software bugs as another concern. The second thing is audio quality; I am a audiophile, I've got £1k of speakers and amps in my car and it sounds superb. I've only heard these android units via factory car speakers which obviously is way below my standard and impossible to evaluate if the pre-amp on these head units is actually any good; sometimes they aren't as I found out with my VW RCD500 which has a terrible internal pre-amp; binning that alone for a pioneer HU improved audio quality no-end. So I don't want to go backwards here, they have a 5-band eq, but no adjustments for bandwidth or curve on each frequency - something Very handy on the old Pioneers to tweek the audio (not sure if the new stuff has that and it's been dumbed down )
In that case the pioneer avic f88 is the one you want
Old 16 November 2016, 01:51 PM
Dblock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B

Tbf it's hard to get something that has good sq and has lots of inputs and features and for it to be well priced.

I wanted a Nak but I ended up with a jvc headunit in my last car. The Nak wasn't expensive but it was a radio and CD player only. Maybe it had mp3 but nothing else lol. I was only using the 3 preouts anyways as I had comps that where running active and a sub and it was really nice. But the higher end pioneer stuff and the higher end alpine stuff is nice but it's so expensive. I got the impreza for "driving" anyways so I don't need a fancy system just something with decent inputs.
Old 16 November 2016, 06:31 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark10sti
In that case the pioneer avic f88 is the one you want

Yeah. At £700 I bloody well hope so Not saying I won't end up with one, just I'd be petrified to park the car up at night with that sitting in the dash on display (current HU was about £250, and all the other gear is hidden). And the RNS510 replicas do look very nice....