Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Good
Old 10 November 2016, 09:09 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
PEBKAC
It was realistically broken for 3-4 hours last night, Pimmo.

Originally Posted by alcazar
It's OK now.
Yes, it was back up and running, I hear. Trumpquake perhaps calmed down by then. Peace and order restored.
Old 10 November 2016, 09:14 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Good
Not when that's the most suitable way to communicate with your offspring seven seas away. It was only a few hours glitch, I think. Anyway, all back up and running now.
Old 10 November 2016, 10:18 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I've started using it more recently as a necessary evil (dating, so need a "online identity" to prove I'm normalish ).

So I guess it couldn't take the shock
Old 10 November 2016, 10:24 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
I've started using it more recently as a necessary evil (dating, so need a "online identity" to prove I'm normalish ).

So I guess it couldn't take the shock
Ah! Now we know the reason! Have you put your intro as 'single' and 'interested in women'? You need to do it, in order to let the potential takers know that you IZ a free agent on the mission,
Old 10 November 2016, 12:17 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Turbohot
Ah! Now we know the reason! Have you put your intro as 'single' and 'interested in women'? You need to do it, in order to let the potential takers know that you IZ a free agent on the mission,
Oh hell no. No way am I advertising that on facebook: I'm a magnet for bunny boilers as it is

....I think the skinny jeans* picture broke it as since removing it, FB appears to be fine.

*surprisingly comfortable, like a denim version of a MAML
Old 10 November 2016, 12:32 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Oh hell no. No way am I advertising that on facebook: I'm a magnet for bunny boilers as it is

....I think the skinny jeans* picture broke it as since removing it, FB appears to be fine.

*surprisingly comfortable, like a denim version of a MAML
Oh, ok! I don't quite get this MAML. I Googled it and found the explanation of this as Microsoft Assistance Markup Language. I remain confused.

Now, the main thing is, can some of us become your 'friend' on FB and give you bleddy hard time, over there? See, you will be completely powerless there, because you are no almighty mod there. Also, FB will allow us to see your pretty face. So, please add me as your 'friend' on FB, if you don't mind. Rest assured you have no threat from me of boiling your bunny because my own Mister TH doesn't want his precious bunny boiled by any of my 'friends' any time soon.
Old 10 November 2016, 12:50 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Sorry, spelt it wrong: Should have been MAMIL. Google it at your peril
Old 10 November 2016, 12:57 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Sorry, spelt it wrong: Should have been MAMIL. Google it at your peril
Middle Aged Man In Lycra?

Oh, ok!

LOL
Old 10 November 2016, 01:25 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Not to worry, soon the entire Internet will be switched off *, so you won't need to worry about updating your Facebook. We can then all go back to playing family card games in the drawing room, and listening to the latest records on our gramophones.

* Trump promised he would ask the FBI to do this.
Old 10 November 2016, 01:30 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by markjmd
Not to worry, soon the entire Internet will be switched off *, so you won't need to worry about updating your Facebook. We can then all go back to playing family card games in the drawing room, and listening to the latest records on our gramophones.

Easily done

Only those who have watched "the IT crowd" will understand
Old 10 November 2016, 01:39 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

PICNIC.
Old 10 November 2016, 02:34 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markjmd

Really? I missed that one during the campaign. I think world, as a whole, will feel lost without the internet.

Honestly, I did think that yesterday's FB glitch for a good few hours had everything to do with Trump, not the Skinny Jeans. I thought someone said something terribly harsh about him after his win, so he had it come down and cleaned. Or, people posted so much on FB after the election results that the whole thing broke down.
Old 10 November 2016, 02:52 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Nah it wasn't due to the election, when FB goes down its either because they are doing maintenance or changing something.
Old 10 November 2016, 03:16 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bioforger
Nah it wasn't due to the election, when FB goes down its either because they are doing maintenance or changing something.
Ok, but just four hours of the loss of contact method to your loved one can make one feel so lost. Imagine what could happen, if the whole internet comes crashing down, and remains out of order forever? Will be disastrous for the world! Everything is on line these days. I may post a lot, but I actually have a real house to live in. I also have real life family and friends. Some people virtually live on line and talk to the animated images. They'll all become homeless and would want a refuge in our private homes! It will be soooooooooooooo bad, if that ever happens.

I do know that Trump may be just talking shyte, but imagining the world without internet is like imagining your home without the electricity.
Old 10 November 2016, 03:37 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

The likelyhood of the net completely crashing is about as likely as losing your electricity forever. Put simply it won't and can't happen unless there is a major event, like nuclear war or an E.L.E
Old 10 November 2016, 03:51 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

The likelyhood of the net completely crashing is about as likely as losing your electricity forever. Put simply it won't and can't happen unless there is a major event, like nuclear war or an E.L.E
Yes, but I think internet is far more fragile than electricity, in that sense. I may be wrong.

I just read the news where, a boy, from his parents' London house, caused the 2010 Wall Street crash and made millions. All he did was that he
p7$$ed about on line and manipulated this and that. All due to the vulnerability of this internet. Remember N.K. switched the internet off in America for a day or two last year? I do think that internet is more fragile than any other utilities.
Old 10 November 2016, 03:58 PM
DaveMK39
Scooby Regular

fakebook the cia funded spying tool. shame it wasn't down forever.
Old 10 November 2016, 04:19 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DaveMK39
fakebook the cia funded spying tool.
Oh, without a doubt.

Saying that, we are living in the age of Surveillance. Internet and other improved technology certainly have a lot to answer. I was watching something with how they run Smart Motorways. My God, with one click, the traffic cop can stop the traffic and cause the hard shoulder to became another lane; in order to let the traffic flow at 10mph. With the same click he can cause a pile up.

But If we want to go to the extremes of not being found out, we might as well be not born.

shame it wasn't down forever.
Thing is, FB is a great tool to connect people around the globe. When I video call or audio talk to my child free of cost on the FB messenger, when she's living thousands of miles away from here, it makes me feel grateful to the Facebook.

Like anything, FB, and the internet as a whole, has its pluses and minuses.
Old 10 November 2016, 04:22 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Forgot to add, FB will only be interested in spying on interesting people; positively interesting or negatively interesting. I don't think they'll bother analysing what the likes of us Thomson, Dickenson or Harrison have to say or where the hell we live etc. What will they gain from it? Fcck all; apart from sending stupid sales email to us. I just delete them without even looking at them.
Old 10 November 2016, 04:24 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Yes, but I think internet is far more fragile than electricity, in that sense. I may be wrong.

I just read the news where, a boy, from his parents' London house, caused the 2010 Wall Street crash and made millions. All he did was that he
p7$$ed about on line and manipulated this and that. All due to the vulnerability of this internet. Remember N.K. switched the internet off in America for a day or two last year? I do think that internet is more fragile than any other utilities.
It was a vulnerability in the systems used on wall street in a particular company, not really anything to do with the net.

Well yes all countries have control on how or whether they can connect to the internet, NK is an exception due to the insane control over their population. That was more their choice to disconnect from the net rather than it being fragile. Of course without electricity the net would struggle to exist for a normal person, but i doubt it would fully cease to exist. The military would still be using it, say in a WW3 scenario using backup generators or alike. The net as you know it now evolved from military messaging systems.
Old 10 November 2016, 04:30 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

It was a vulnerability in the systems used on wall street in a particular company, not really anything to do with the net.
Sure, but if the net didn't exist, he wouldn't have been able to do that; from his bedroom laptop. He would have had to physically enter the Wall Street himself, which would have been a bit difficult.

Well yes all countries have control on how or whether they can connect to the internet, NK is an exception due to the insane control over their population. That was more their choice to disconnect from the net rather than it being fragile. Of course without electricity the net would struggle to exist for a normal person, but i doubt it would fully cease to exist. The military would still be using it, say in a WW3 scenario using backup generators or alike. The net as you know it now evolved from military messaging systems.
yeah, I hope not. We certainly need internet these days; like we need food and water tbh.
Old 10 November 2016, 04:34 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Sure, but if the net didn't exist, he wouldn't have been able to do that; from his bedroom laptop. He would have had to physically enter the Wall Street himself, which would have been a bit difficult.

yeah, I hope not. We certainly need internet these days; like we need food and water tbh.
Yep true, but its not the fault of the net, its due to poor security in that Wall street company at the time. All financial companies have very strict policies and procedures in place to stop hackers from even attempting it. My company for example hires professional 'hackers' to do PEN tests on a regular basis for exactly this reason. We even invite them onsite to do their tests
Old 10 November 2016, 04:42 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Yep true, but its not the fault of the net, its due to poor security in that Wall street company at the time. All financial companies have very strict policies and procedures in place to stop hackers from even attempting it. My company for example hires professional 'hackers' to do PEN tests on a regular basis for exactly this reason. We even invite them onsite to do their tests
Well, if the top notch hackers can break the security codes, can't they bring the entire system down? May be not. I don't know. Hope they can't, because we do need the internet.

Trump is just a sensationalist.
Old 10 November 2016, 04:53 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

See, Lauri Love is so smart that he can crash the whole thing. His Aspie brain power is just out of this world!:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/28/lauri-love/

I think Nav Sarao is also capable of crashing the whole thing down:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-two-jobs.html

His friends even called him a legend. I can bet he's another Aspie.

I'm not glorifying their crimes, I'm just saying that these guys are bright as buttons, and therefore, the likes of them may be able to crash the whole world's internet one day.

I may be wrong. I don't understand technology that well, so perhaps I underestimate the solidity of the internet. I do understand that the company's own security systems fragility is a separate issue to the fragility or solidity of the internet.
Old 10 November 2016, 06:58 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Well, if the top notch hackers can break the security codes, can't they bring the entire system down? May be not. I don't know. Hope they can't, because we do need the internet.

Trump is just a sensationalist.
erm no, do you realise how many companies/servers/PC's etc etc make up the internet? It would be an impossible task.