Women - what are they like!!!

Search this Thread

Old 28 October 2016, 02:29 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Women - what are they like!!!

Our eldest has just left to go to Edinburgh Uni

and no sooner has she gone than my wife replaces her with Margot a Hungarian Visla!!!

Hannah (Wife) collecting Margot at the breeders

in the car on the way home - from Carlisle!!

and home

it is like having a new born all over again,
Old 28 October 2016, 02:45 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 28 October 2016, 02:48 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Your wife is a very attractive lady, Hodgy, and Margot is lovely!

Hope your eldest settles well in her uni and your new arrival Margot brightens your lives.

In terms of what women are like, since my kids have flown the nest, my pre-existing pets have performed their roles in my life. A neighbour, who never had any pets before, got herself a fluffy dog after her sons left her home. Many like her have got either a cat, dog or some pet; in order to keep sane. It happens. Maternal affection shouldn't go to waste or become redundant, rather it's better invested in other needy beings.
Old 28 October 2016, 03:51 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

I hope you did your homework on the breed Hodgy and know what you've let yourself in for?! As an HPR they like their exercise and mental stimulation
Old 28 October 2016, 04:09 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lovely dog, but doesn't half look fed up
Old 28 October 2016, 04:17 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
Lovely dog, but doesn't half look fed up
It's the way they naturally look, I think. Labs also look as if they are p&ssed off all the time.

Our son's Staffy and all other SBTs look a bit like younger Jean-Claude Van Damme. You know, pathetic eyes and docile looking face, but otherwise well'ard in 'kick yer head in' thuggish style.

The more pathetic the dog looks, the more many humans are inclined to adopt it.

Last edited by Turbohot; 28 October 2016 at 04:36 PM.
Old 28 October 2016, 04:38 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I'd never heard of them but seems a good looking beast.

I am sure you will have checked the following or similar out

http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/vizslas.html

Enjoy

David
Old 28 October 2016, 05:09 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Vizsla ?

Looks bit like weinamara but with bigger ears that came into pub other day very well behaved
Old 28 October 2016, 05:18 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

The points raised there are common to all HPR breeds. I have a GSP who turns 1 next week and is still an utter nightmare with separation anxiety (defecates in it's crate in protest) and the likelihood is it will never go away due to the nature of the breed/working dog genetics of HPRs. They can be worked 8 hours and come home not tired so the key is not physical exercise but mental stimulation through training and making the dog think.

I can't emphasise enough Hodgy that don't go to any old puppy/dog training classes, look for one for working breeds particularly HPRs as these need more work than your average pet dog. Also if you haven't already, consider joining your local Vizsla club as you will get a lot of knowledge going to their monthly meetings.

Last edited by An0n0m0us; 28 October 2016 at 05:21 PM.
Old 28 October 2016, 05:39 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Vizsla ?

Looks bit like weinamara but with bigger ears that came into pub other day very well behaved
"weinamara" well that's another new one for me. Are they related to the Weimaraner breed at all

d

sorry but made me smile
Old 28 October 2016, 05:50 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Must be
Old 28 October 2016, 06:17 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Nice dog Hodgy0_2...
I am not a dog fan but our friends are and have been for years. I often wondered what the attraction of owning a dog is.
A guy down at the local cricket turned up with a Vizla and I was instantly smitten by it.
It is probably one of the nicest dogs I have seen as a non doggy sort of person and would be my dog of choice if I were to get a dog.
From what ive seen of them they certainly are pretty lively and require lots of exercise and attention having talked to the owner previously.
His dog got hit by a car and has calmed down a bit since , but obviously I wouldn't recommend this method ...! (its perfectly fine since the car incident by the way)
Great choice and has got me thinking agin since I started working from home and am often scratching around with no one about..
Old 28 October 2016, 07:01 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

We'd love a dog.
Old 28 October 2016, 07:12 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by An0n0m0us
I hope you did your homework on the breed Hodgy and know what you've let yourself in for?! As an HPR they like their exercise and mental stimulation
Originally Posted by David Lock
I'd never heard of them but seems a good looking beast.

I am sure you will have checked the following or similar out

http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/vizslas.html

Enjoy

David
thanks (to all)

yes, my wife had been looking at them for about 2 years, so she did quite a lot of research

wow dog breeders are a strange breed!!!!

although my wife is a bit of an aesthete, so looks where quite important

re exercise - we live at the edge of a village so have great walking routes on our doorstep and are quite an active family, but part of the reason was to get us out even more, and keep the teenagers active

Weimaraner, yes I think they are related, although I believe the Weimaraner is from South America

njkmrs - yes I know what you mean, I don't think I would ever have pushed for one tbh (although I did grow up with dogs) but they are good company

whereas my wife had never really had dogs as a child, I sort of joke but I think it must be the mothering thing
Old 28 October 2016, 07:14 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor
We'd love a dog.
get one JT, it looks like you have the perfect situation - unless you are both out a lot

like njkmrs I work from home a lot and so does Han
Old 28 October 2016, 07:24 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2

whereas my wife had never really had dogs as a child, I sort of joke but I think it must be the mothering thing
Yes, it's a kind of a replacement therapy to oneself.

Wait till you end up having five dogs, in correlation to your five kids.

I have two cats; just like I have two kids. Sometimes I call my cats with my kids' names. They even match my kids' behavioural characteristics; individually. Older brown one is introverted like my son, whereas the younger B&W fat one is a born extrovert- like my daughter. On top, come to think about it, the age gap is even similar between the pairs. No physical characteristics can be matched; except for the colour of the brown one to my son's. Both my kids are quite slim; unlike the younger fat cat of ours. He's just such a rolly-polly bundle that it makes my heart go all mushed up with his thought.
Old 28 October 2016, 07:39 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

I forgot to mention the one I saw down at our cricket club didn't have legs...
It moved about on 4 springs....!!!
You will see what I mean.
Old 28 October 2016, 08:01 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
Yes, it's a kind of a replacement therapy to oneself.

Wait till you end up having five dogs, in correlation to your five kids.

I have two cats; just like I have two kids. Sometimes I call my cats with my kids' names. They even match my kids' behavioural characteristics; individually. Older brown one is introverted like my son, whereas the younger B&W fat one is a born extrovert- like my daughter. On top, come to think about it, the age gap is even similar between the pairs. No physical characteristics can be matched; except for the colour of the brown one to my son's. Both my kids are quite slim; unlike the younger fat cat of ours. He's just such a rolly-polly bundle that it makes my heart go all mushed up with his thought.
well we do have a cat - that we all adore

and all the kids were very concerned how Delilah would take the news

but one of our hopes is that Margot will keep the neighbours sh1tty aggressive tom cat from terrorising Dilly

and then Dilly and Margot will become friends

(mmm I think I have a case of projection)

but re training, we are being quite strict, not on any furniture, not upstairs and it sleeps in its cage (and we don't go down in the night even though it cries )
Old 28 October 2016, 08:03 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by njkmrs
I forgot to mention the one I saw down at our cricket club didn't have legs...
It moved about on 4 springs....!!!
You will see what I mean.
yes,

although on of my pet hates is dogs that jump up at people - so I hope we can train that trait out of her
Old 28 October 2016, 08:09 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

get one JT, it looks like you have the perfect situation - unless you are both out a lot

like njkmrs I work from home a lot and so does Han
We both work full-time and only occasionally from home. We're hoping to be out of the rat race by fifty so I suspect we'll wait until then. I'd like an Alaskan Malamute and Lizzy a Whippet. One day. Anyway, I'm sure you'll have a lovely time with your new family member; I'm pleased for you all.
Old 28 October 2016, 10:25 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Not saying so much as jumping up at people but just generally very lively and the movement is that of a dog that is very bouncy in the way it moves. Great to watch as it looks like the happiest thing on the planet when chasing a ball or stick that's thrown.
It will be a pleasure to own I'm sure.
Old 28 October 2016, 10:28 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

well we do have a cat - that we all adore

and all the kids were very concerned how Delilah would take the news

but one of our hopes is that Margot will keep the neighbours sh1tty aggressive tom cat from terrorising Dilly

and then Dilly and Margot will become friends

(mmm I think I have a case of projection)

but re training, we are being quite strict, not on any furniture, not upstairs and it sleeps in its cage (and we don't go down in the night even though it cries )
Re the crying how long have you had her? The HPR's are known for it, my mate went through hell with his GSP, 2 weeks of it solidly wailing through the night. I was luckier as I use my 2 Labradors as babysitters so keeps her quiet at night but she is hell if left on her own during the day.

Also watch the cat, hopefully the bringing it up with the cat already there will mean it accepts the cat but another thing HPR's are troublesome with are cats due to their hunting genes. On the continent GSP's in field trials are actually given cats to kill She might not be showing it now but the likelihood is she will have a high prey drive which as part of the training needs to be kept in check through strict recall and also the stop command which is best done with whistle training and something they pick up very very quickly. It won't just be cats but anything you encounter on your walks such as rabbits and pheasants and squirrels. I whistle trained mine in the house whilst waiting for the vaccinations so by the time she could go out I was already well on the way to controlling her off the lead. This is also a good way to keep their mental stimulation to tire them out.

Do you know if she has any close working lines in her family tree?
Old 28 October 2016, 10:38 PM
elgassi
Scooby Regular

cracking looking Pup, get it used to sleeping in a crate, perfect for when you have to go out during the day and at night time, saves the dog wandering around chewing the furniture and gives it a place of it's own
As said earlier, it will need exercise and jobs to do, to keep it stimulated
I've a GWHP, fantastic dog but with all the Gun dogs you have to be strict, the boss and get the recall sorted so they obey your command
enjoy your days with the dog.....did it get your daughters bed as well lol
Old 28 October 2016, 10:52 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by elgassi
...I've a GWHP...
Cracking looking dogs, do you work him/her?
Old 28 October 2016, 11:25 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Re the crying how long have you had her? The HPR's are known for it, my mate went through hell with his GSP, 2 weeks of it solidly wailing through the night. I was luckier as I use my 2 Labradors as babysitters so keeps her quiet at night but she is hell if left on her own during the day.

Also watch the cat, hopefully the bringing it up with the cat already there will mean it accepts the cat but another thing HPR's are troublesome with are cats due to their hunting genes. On the continent GSP's in field trials are actually given cats to kill She might not be showing it now but the likelihood is she will have a high prey drive which as part of the training needs to be kept in check through strict recall and also the stop command which is best done with whistle training and something they pick up very very quickly. It won't just be cats but anything you encounter on your walks such as rabbits and pheasants and squirrels. I whistle trained mine in the house whilst waiting for the vaccinations so by the time she could go out I was already well on the way to controlling her off the lead. This is also a good way to keep their mental stimulation to tire them out.

We have a full family tree (kennel club etc) but it means very little to me tbh

But we are pretty determined to have a well trained dog and are fully prepared to put the work in to achieve it - and are under no illusions it takes time effort and commitment

cracking looking Pup, get it used to sleeping in a crate, perfect for when you have to go out during the day and at night time, saves the dog wandering around chewing the furniture and gives it a place of it's own
I've a GWHP, fantastic dog but with all the Gun dogs you have to be strict, the boss and get the recall sorted so they obey your command
It is in its crate now, asleep - we kept it engaged and playing until 10.30
Old 28 October 2016, 11:25 PM
elgassi
Scooby Regular

LOL no he (Alfie) works me

his father and mother were workers, he's just a rabbit and hare chaser
man can he run, but so can they
He's getting good at washing the dishes
Old 28 October 2016, 11:26 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

But we are pretty determined to have a well trained dog and are fully prepared to put the work in to achieve it - and are under no illusions it takes time effort and commitment

Old 28 October 2016, 11:27 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Had her 4 days anon

Old 28 October 2016, 11:29 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Had her 4 days anon

Old 28 October 2016, 11:30 PM
elgassi
Scooby Regular

no he (Alfie) works me lol

his father and mother were workers, he's just a rabbit and hare chaser
man can he run, but so can they
He's getting good at washing the dishes