Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

So Brexit seems to be a good thing then.

Search this Thread

Old 22 September 2018, 09:40 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by andy97
I don't have to come up international economics, I made my position and decision in 2016.

I'm only concerned with maximizing my profits from my investments, which currently are doing rather well, thank you
As are my investment thank you very much

The big difference is, I put the interests of the general population above my own personal gains. I will do well regardless, but I'd rather everyone is a bit better off than screw over the mass population in order to gain a couple of extra £'s.

Basically, what you are saying is you don't give a **** what happens to the UK as long as you get a little bit richer and you then have the nerve to suggest that British people who believe that Brexit is a bad thing should leave if they don't like it! Perhaps its you that should leave as your willingness to **** on your fellow countrymen for your own personal gain is quite frankly a dishonour to your nationality! I've lived in Germany for over 20 years, yet its clear I still care for MY country far more than you!
Old 22 September 2018, 09:55 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

No you don't have the ***** to fully commit to your new home-Germany. If you had commitment you would of settled taken citizenship. Half in half out personality.
Old 22 September 2018, 10:03 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

So all those expats that have retired abroad should also renounce uk citizenship Andy ? !
Old 22 September 2018, 10:09 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

No you don't have the ***** to fully commit to your new home-Germany. If you had commitment you would of settled taken citizenship. Half in half out personality.
Now that's really funny! You really don't have a clue!
Old 23 September 2018, 11:45 AM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fdav id.gilbert.9828%2Fposts%2F10217226126988829&width= 500" width="500" height="502" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allow="encrypted-media"></iframe>
shouldn't need to pay a penny to get out
Old 23 September 2018, 11:59 AM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by madscoob
<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fdav id.gilbert.9828%2Fposts%2F10217226126988829&width= 500" width="500" height="502" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allow="encrypted-media"></iframe>
shouldn't need to pay a penny to get out
why?

Old 23 September 2018, 12:24 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

did you read it ? not sure if it worked
Old 23 September 2018, 01:06 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Did not
Old 23 September 2018, 01:15 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

looks like a few remainers need some history lessons then, if anything they owe our forefathers, oh and 120billion with intrest from 1943
Old 23 September 2018, 01:40 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Comical
Old 26 September 2018, 02:36 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-45631792

Looks like Labour are finally starting to realise they'll get more support if they oppose Brexit!

Second referendum or GE and delay to Brexit is becoming increasingly likely as the Chequers plan is dead in the water and the Conservatives continue to pull themselves apart!
Old 26 September 2018, 05:01 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BMWhere?

Looks like Labour are finally starting to realise they'll get more support if they oppose Brexit!

Second referendum or GE and delay to Brexit is becoming increasingly likely as the Chequers plan is dead in the water and the Conservatives continue to pull themselves apart!
I believe a second referendum will be a bigger disaster for this country than Brexit.

We're better off going for some kind of free trade deal and hoping for the best

Old 26 September 2018, 05:15 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin2005
I believe a second referendum will be a bigger disaster for this country than Brexit.

We're better off going for some kind of free trade deal and hoping for the best
Truth be told we're better off in the EU, but a 2nd referendum makes a complete and utter mockery of our democratic political system no matter what the outcome.
Old 26 September 2018, 05:26 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BMWhere?

Labour's position on this is completely unfathomable
Old 26 September 2018, 06:10 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Theres a similar momentum now to when Blair got in ...

i think people are tired of tory infighting / power struggle
Old 26 September 2018, 06:48 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Theres a similar momentum now to when Blair got in ...

i think people are tired of tory infighting / power struggle
Have you seen the polls?
Old 26 September 2018, 07:09 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo

Tories are still popular despite their horrendous dithering in leaving the EU
Old 27 September 2018, 09:58 AM
Mr Fuji
Scooby Regular

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing
Truth be told we're better off in the EU, but a 2nd referendum makes a complete and utter mockery of our democratic political system no matter what the outcome.
I don't understand this line of thinking whatsoever. Democracy is allowing the people to have their say. Why is letting people have their say on the deal undemocratic?

Let's be honest, the questions was too simple, as people had different reasons, and a simple in or out was ridiculous. Now that people are actually able to see how an exit will pan out, why not ask them if this is really what they want? If the answer is the same, fair enough, if not, then we change it (whether that's a deal like Norway or even just remain in the EU).

It's like asking for a quote on something and then being forced to take that quote even if it's nothing like what you envisaged.
Old 27 September 2018, 10:20 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mr Fuji
I don't understand this line of thinking whatsoever. Democracy is allowing the people to have their say. Why is letting people have their say on the deal undemocratic?

Let's be honest, the questions was too simple, as people had different reasons, and a simple in or out was ridiculous. Now that people are actually able to see how an exit will pan out, why not ask them if this is really what they want? If the answer is the same, fair enough, if not, then we change it (whether that's a deal like Norway or even just remain in the EU).

It's like asking for a quote on something and then being forced to take that quote even if it's nothing like what you envisaged.
The people have had their say. We had a referendum and the people in majority agreed to leave. Is it not undemocratic for a minority in power to ask for a 2nd referendum and ignore the wishes of the majority who agreed to leave?

Don't get me wrong, I was a remainer by a long way.

It's a shower of **** now.
Old 27 September 2018, 10:37 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

The only circumstances in which I think a second vote could be justified would be if the options are 'The Deal' or 'No Deal'

It would be a complete con trick to put remain back on the ballot, especially against 2 leave options, remain would win pretty much any circumstance if you have 2 leave choices.

I think that another vote would prove to be incredibly divisive.

Old 27 September 2018, 11:55 AM
Mr Fuji
Scooby Regular

But if a majority are now genuinely of the opinion that we would be better off in the EU, isn't it undemocratic to deny them that? The alternative is to exit, cause untold disruption and then re-apply to join the EU in a future parliament. If you think the EU has the upper hand now, then imagine what that would be like!

I don't disagree it would be divisive, but the country is split anyway, better to be divided and economically sound than divided and in recession? As the old saying goes, money doesn't make you happy, but you'd rather be rich and miserable than poor and miserable
Old 27 September 2018, 11:59 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

But if a majority are now genuinely of the opinion that we would be better off in the EU, isn't it undemocratic to deny them that? The alternative is to exit, cause untold disruption and then re-apply to join the EU in a future parliament. If you think the EU has the upper hand now, then imagine what that would be like!

I don't disagree it would be divisive, but the country is split anyway, better to be divided and economically sound than divided and in recession? As the old saying goes, money doesn't make you happy, but you'd rather be rich and miserable than poor and miserable
So if I don't like the decision you make on something and just keep asking you over and over again until you change your mind and say what I want to hear does that make it right?
Old 27 September 2018, 12:03 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

So if I don't like the decision you make on something and just keep asking you over and over again until you change your mind and say what I want to hear does that make it right?
Of course not...but sadly, ity's the EU way...Ireland, Holland...

Old 27 September 2018, 01:03 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Firstly, you have to view the original referendum as what it was; an advisory referendum with no legal binding to act on the result - essentially, legally speaking, it was designed to gauge public opinion rather than to actually make a final decision about leaving the EU. The public advice from that referendum was that the nation is somewhat divided on the matter. The government had the power to ignore the referendum result if they wanted, instead the government chose to pursue a vision of Brexit which was against the advice of 48% of the population rather than perhaps a more suitable soft Brexit which would perhaps please few but anger less - an amicable compromise if you like!

The original referendum asked a very simplistic question of "in or out?" without defining, to paraphrase, what Brexit means! After all, "Brexit means Brexit" is simply meaningless! Brexit is such a complicated issue, which is now extremely apparent, that the simple in or out question is insufficient for such a huge constitutional change and the result risks dividing the population for a generation.

Once (if) a deal has been agreed and Brexit actually means something then its the most democratic thing to ask the public again if this is what they really envisaged of Brexit and are happy with the terms. A second referendum should also pose two distinct questions:
1. Do you accept or reject the deal that has been made
2. If you reject the deal, should the UK exit with no deal or remain in the EU.

If there is anyway no deal on the table, then you can obviously drop question 1. I would also argue for a qualified majority of at least 60% for either question to act on public opinion alone Without a qualified majority, then the decision should be a free vote in parliament (no party whips involved).
Old 27 September 2018, 01:08 PM
Mr Fuji
Scooby Regular

That's not what I am saying at all, hence the quote analogy. The referendum was flawed in it's simplicity, both campaigns lied (Leave also broke the law). The public were in no position to make an informed decision.

It is now clear (or clearer) on how things will look after Brexit. The lies are exposed, the difficulties clear, it would actually be irresponsible to plough ahead like this.

Obviously I would prefer to remain, but also I would have accepted an orderly Brexit with sufficient time to make sure we didn't screw thousands of businesses and millions of people, whether that be deal or no deal. No deal could still have been handled to deliver a much less problematic solution, but they have basically spent two years pissing about, and now we face this.
Old 27 September 2018, 01:51 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

The country was told this is a once in a lifetime decision, you have to think about now and your children and grand children.

The vote was to leave or stay. Yes a difficult decision and if you didn't understand or comprehend what it meant, more fool you.

To leave is to leave all EU institutions

Leaving will cause upheaval, but that doesn't change the decision to leave. That is down to the government and the EU to come to a free trade agreement or no deal if things can't be ageed.

​​​​​​29th March 2019 is when the UK is no longer in the EU. deal or no deal is immaterial to the decision to leave.
Old 27 September 2018, 02:02 PM
Mr Fuji
Scooby Regular

The country was told this is a once in a lifetime decision, you have to think about now and your children and grand children.

The vote was to leave or stay. Yes a difficult decision and if you didn't understand or comprehend what it meant, more fool you.

To leave is to leave all EU institutions

Leaving will cause upheaval, but that doesn't change the decision to leave. That is down to the government and the EU to come to a free trade agreement or no deal if things can't be ageed.

​​​​​​29th March 2019 is when the UK is no longer in the EU. deal or no deal is immaterial to the decision to leave.
Seeing as around 70% of 17-35 people are for remain it seems highly unlikely that Leavers were thinking of their children!

Your second line illustrates how utterly unrepresentative your view is. Of the people I know who voted leave, some didn't like immigration, some didn't like the (perceived) undemocratic EU, other regulations, etc etc. However, some of them also absolutely preferred to be part of the EU as a trading bloc, but could not reconcile that with their strong feelings about whatever it was that motivated them to vote Leave. But, the over simplistic question and subsequent choice mean that lots of people are unhappy.

I also know people who voted remain who were deeply unhappy with certain aspects of EU membership. What a mess.

But, you cannot change an institution from without.

Whatever your politics, it's clear that no deal will be an utter disaster. With the exception of one or two extremely pro leave economists, the view is that is will hurt the UK economy, alot.

Big business is very nervous, and they have the resources to deal with some of the fallout. There are tens of thousand of SMEs who will now have to manage an immediate transition to new tarriffs, import and export rules, trying to avoid falling foul of any new legislation, the list goes on. It will simply overwhelm many.

Add on the years of disruption as new trade deals are worked out, it's a grim picture. No deal is the worst deal, it really is.

Last edited by Mr Fuji; 27 September 2018 at 02:04 PM.
Old 27 September 2018, 02:10 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Yes I wish for a fantastic deal with the EU, but if it doesn't happen, then UK has to prepare best it can with a no deal.

The decision to leave has been made and isn't going to change.
Old 27 September 2018, 02:11 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

That's not what I am saying at all, hence the quote analogy. The referendum was flawed in it's simplicity, both campaigns lied (Leave also broke the law). The public were in no position to make an informed decision.

It is now clear (or clearer) on how things will look after Brexit. The lies are exposed, the difficulties clear, it would actually be irresponsible to plough ahead like this.

Obviously I would prefer to remain, but also I would have accepted an orderly Brexit with sufficient time to make sure we didn't screw thousands of businesses and millions of people, whether that be deal or no deal. No deal could still have been handled to deliver a much less problematic solution, but they have basically spent two years pissing about, and now we face this.
I totally agree.
Old 27 September 2018, 02:15 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

I also know people who voted remain who were deeply unhappy with certain aspects of EU membership. What a mess.
Yes, it was never clear cut. I don't think you will find anyone that feels the EU was 100% perfect and doesn't have serious issues that need resolving. I feel exactly that as a remainer personally, but on the whole I still feel strongly it was in our interest and best future for the country to remain in the EU, even with it's issues.

Quick Reply: So Brexit seems to be a good thing then.