Things to invest in

Search this Thread

Old 29 August 2016, 09:03 PM
scooby k
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Things to invest in

Hi all

What are the best thing to invest in, I know buying a house and renting out is the most common but seems a bit of headache if you get the wrong tentants.

Is there anything else buying shares etc.
Old 29 August 2016, 09:17 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Garlic Bread, it's the future.
Old 29 August 2016, 09:25 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Buying shares is gambling so I wouldn't go that route, STI Type R or RA is a good place to put a few quid right now, I made real good money on a boat a few years back but that was more lucky due to buying cheap from someone desperate to sell and then the market rose, spent a lot of time doing it up though.

My best mate is into gold and recons that's going to go mental in the next couple of years but I've not looked into it so don't really know.

The trick though is always going to be to buy in a slump and ride the rise, so knowing the market for what you're buying is crucial, don't just listen to some **** on the internet.
Old 29 August 2016, 09:34 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Shares are not necessarily a pure gamble - you can shift the odds heavily in your favour. Doing it all in a self select ISA means you don't pay tax either.

Buy into companies who are on the up and always work with FTSE100 companies only. I've been making upto 30% per anum. Look at the graphs in Yahoo finance for each company to see the ones doing well
Old 29 August 2016, 09:52 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Could bought Centamin gold , and made a packet this last few months . No tax either
Old 29 August 2016, 10:30 PM
scooby k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Felix.
Shares are not necessarily a pure gamble - you can shift the odds heavily in your favour. Doing it all in a self select ISA means you don't pay tax either.

Buy into companies who are on the up and always work with FTSE100 companies only. I've been making upto 30% per anum. Look at the graphs in Yahoo finance for each company to see the ones doing well
So how does it exactly work, what's the process.

I find a company to invest in, guess I need to register with them and then purchase shares.

What's the amount if profit to be made from this.
Old 30 August 2016, 01:39 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Decent paintings. dl
Old 30 August 2016, 08:47 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by David Lock
Decent paintings. dl
That's a good one.
Old 30 August 2016, 11:43 AM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby k
So how does it exactly work, what's the process.

I find a company to invest in, guess I need to register with them and then purchase shares.

What's the amount if profit to be made from this.
Have a search for self select ISA's - these allow you to buy and sell shares without the need of a broker or getting harassed by a financial adviser. There are different fees involved which suite varying levels of money - each trade will cost a set amount or will be a percentage of that trade. There may also be a nominal yearly fee, but share dividends could off-set this for you. There a loads of online accounts or high street banks do them if you want to pop in and have a chat with someone.

After that - its time to pick your shares. What i do is too look at the companies in the FTSE100 - on Yahoo finance, you can look at their graph/chart over the last 6 months, 1 year, 2 years, 5 years or beginning of time. I tend to look at the past year and see if the graph (share price) is going up, down, or stayed the same. Pick out the ones who are going up and try and find the steepest gradients of these. Always work in the FTSE100 - these are huge companies which are not going to go bust.

These increasing graph shares are then the companies to look at. Of these companies, look back over the last 2-5 years and see if it looks a strong upward trend. ie - if over the last 5 years, the company has been very up and down, maybe discount this company. Your looking to find the 5 strongest companies of this set. Try and get mix bag of companies, not all in the banking sector, or house building sector (there is a profile link on each company to tell you what the company does, have a read and see if its a commodity you think should do well).

Buy equal share amounts of these companies - eg, 100 shares in each company - don't be tempted to put more money into one company over another. Then sit back a wait, look to re-view your portfolio after 6 months to a year to see how they are doing. Basically go through the above procedure again to find the next top 5 companies at that time; then sell the ones you have and buy into these. You may find that one of the ones you have is still in your new top 5, so you can keep hold of them.

Then just repeat the steps - some people have a ceiling on the amount the portfolio makes - ie they will have their own rule that as soon as the portfolio makes 20%, they will look to sell or if it looses more than 20%. You tend to find of the 5 companies, one will sink but at least 2 will do really well, so it will keep your profit margin up. Don't fall into the trap which some people do and just buy shares from one company and just keep them forever. My dad has gas shares (which have gone up) but now the price just bounces up and down and he doesn't make any further profits on them. He got them for free, so he is quite happy and gets his yearly dividend, but he could make a lot more.

With Yahoo finance, you can set your own fictitious portfolio up to give yourself a go - worth a try, then you can see the process for yourself.

Just bare in mind, don't put your mortgage on this - only invest in money you can afford to loose if the worst comes to worst. Share prices can go down as well as up - but generally, you will always have companies which will do well no matter what the climate is - you looking to piggy-back on these and cream off some money. Warren Buffet made a lot of his money this way and he is quite happy with his $64 billion.
Old 30 August 2016, 08:35 PM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Alternatively, rather than chasing profit on buying selling shares go safe and select high yielding shares such as national grid, Vodafone, shell and BP - consistent returns of 6 or 7% annually - plus you can just put them in an ISA and forget about them.
Over the last 20 or so years I've made and lost decent money on shares - and I'm bored now of watching every tick up and down, I've seen many corrupt practices, most of which never get acted upon.

Another off the wall investment - funeral directors - with the population boom in the late 60's and the golden 80's, there's a lot of wealthy folk needing planted in the next 20+ years - and yes I am serious.
Old 30 August 2016, 10:52 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

land preferably near to town so someone will want to build on it, failing that turn said land into a carpark
Old 30 August 2016, 11:25 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Property
Old 31 August 2016, 04:53 AM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Skoobie Dhu
Alternatively, rather than chasing profit on buying selling shares go safe and select high yielding shares such as national grid, Vodafone, shell and BP - consistent returns of 6 or 7% annually - plus you can just put them in an ISA and forget about them.
You need to check though, from my reckoning:
Vodaphone (VOD.L) has been fairly static for the last 2 years
Shell (RDSB.L) has been on a downward trend for the last 2 years
BP (BP.L) has been static if not slightly downward too

If its not going upwards, your money is not doing anything. You need to trade into something that is doing something positive.
Old 31 August 2016, 09:44 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Tech and social media
Old 31 August 2016, 09:52 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Tech and social media

Betamax?
Old 31 August 2016, 11:06 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby k
Hi all

What are the best thing to invest in, I know buying a house and renting out is the most common but seems a bit of headache if you get the wrong tentants.

Is there anything else buying shares etc.
Invest in having positive, helpful, collaborative and trusting relationships with your children, your pets and with others. Personal satisfaction gained from such is phenomenal and the legacy left behind is exceptional.

So far investing for some financial security at your old age (when you reach that stage) is concerned, invest your money into something that continues to bring some reasonable money in; in line with the investment. if you are looking for the 'best' to invest, 'best' meaning 'secure' is more reasonable than 'best' being 'one or many that fetch more and perhaps more in time; with least investment '. Former is understandable whereas latter is just greed; gain from which attempts filling the gaps caused due to the lack of personal moral qualities. Reasons to fall in the latter category may be historical or linear.

Of course, you don't want to invest into something that causes you loss. I understand that.
Old 31 August 2016, 12:29 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Betamax?
Nah, everyone knows minidisc is where it's at.
Old 31 August 2016, 01:01 PM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

2 stroke motorcycles , esp the classic sought after / matching frame & engine numbers essential
Money in the bank def
Let's face it they ain't making anymore ( ever

Fully restored 350 lc 4lo
RG Gamma 500
FS1SE ( chicken ) - rarer than the FS1E
GT 250 X7
RD 400
Oh & many more
Old 31 August 2016, 01:03 PM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to check though, from my reckoning:
Vodaphone (VOD.L) has been fairly static for the last 2 years
Shell (RDSB.L) has been on a downward trend for the last 2 years
BP (BP.L) has been static if not slightly downward too

If its not going upwards, your money is not doing anything
The investment is earning a dividend yield of between 6% and 7% - hows that not doing anything?
Old 31 August 2016, 01:03 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Old bmx bikes as well
Old 31 August 2016, 01:17 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

My biggest gain this year has been Bitcoin but that's super risky.
Old 31 August 2016, 05:23 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Skoobie Dhu
The investment is earning a dividend yield of between 6% and 7% - hows that not doing anything?
All shares will give you a dividend - but you need to be earning on the shares themselves.
So you could be getting 6-7% dividend on other companies and also gaining a good return on the shares themselves

Not having a go - if your happy with the return, that's fine. Its just my opinion into holding onto a company for too long is not good - the share price will eventually just bounce up and down.
Old 31 August 2016, 05:27 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

All shares will give you a dividend - but you need to be earning on the shares themselves.
So you could be getting 6-7% dividend on other companies and also gaining a good return on the shares themselves

Not having a go - if your happy with the return, that's fine. Its just my opinion into holding onto a company for too long is not good - the share price will eventually just bounce up and down.
Not all shares give a dividend.
Old 31 August 2016, 06:06 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vintage/rare/vinyl...I havnt bought anything for years now but had a good 10 years buying stuff of eBay back in 2000, spent a lot...sold a few...still got a lot and the mark up is remarkable or was back then, it's a bit of a niche market tho as you need to know what's what, my best return was a £400 investment which turned into 20 quid short of £9k in the space of 12 years, the added bonus is you've got something to listen too if you are careful...oh and have a decent turntable lol
Old 31 August 2016, 06:46 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

My silly contribution is, Lego - sounds funny but I bought a few of the star wars limited edition things (they are massive) and they are worth 5 or so times what I paid. Only talking small money here, but hey, still technically an investment.

300-600 for these things and they are worth 1500-2500.
Old 01 September 2016, 09:21 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Torquemada
My silly contribution is, Lego - sounds funny but I bought a few of the star wars limited edition things (they are massive) and they are worth 5 or so times what I paid. Only talking small money here, but hey, still technically an investment.

300-600 for these things and they are worth 1500-2500.

Would agree with that. I nearly bought (and should have) the `Super Dark Destroyer` for £350. 1.25m long of Lego happiness.

But due to not having time, they'd sold out. Not long ago, they were on Amazon for £5k, though I seriously doubt anyone would have bought at that price. A quick look on Amazon today, one is up for just under £1000.

I suspect nearer Christmas, more will be on for a lot more than that.
Old 01 September 2016, 10:45 PM
harry007
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

A rolex, Granted nothing immediate to come out of it. Buy they right one and over 10-15yr cycle it should hit the value you paid for it and further north.
Old 02 September 2016, 05:33 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Smith and Wesson shares ?

Sales up 50% up since Orlando / any other shooting

No shortage dumb Americans
Old 05 September 2016, 05:11 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stilover
`Super Dark Destroyer'
Yep, got that. Got a Deathstar and a millennium falcon somewhere too.
Old 06 September 2016, 01:34 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Lego would be tricky. Unless it's NIB then it might be a bricklink.

I have a bricklink 10179 Millennium Falcon. Built from collected parts and "only" worth £700 or so on a good day.

A good, rare JDM car? £10K on a really nice one and keep it safe and cared for. Might make a decent alternative to ISAs and Pensions. Only downside is if the current market trend turns out to be a bubble. I had considered this for some time and it's not completely off the table.

If you can be bothered with buying and selling shares then no reason why not. Although this is arguably higher risk than choosing a straight forward investment fund and purchase through an ISA.

You can do it yourself or through an adviser. As much as folk will tell you advisers aren't worth a w*nk, they can be useful if you find a good one and they don't charge the earth.

If you do it yourself, be careful with some of these DIY ISA options. Some of the hidden costs can end up making them more expensive than had you gone the adviser route.

Quick Reply: Things to invest in